DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather McGregor Megafight Megathread

Kevin Wilson

2 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

I just do not understand how purists like Max Kellermen aren't jumping for joy for Conor McGregor.

This fight is absurd, but I'm not offended by it, but I fully understand why people on both sides hate it.  McGregor is a great MMA fighter, he beat Jose Aldo who is one of the 5 best MMA fighters ever, and smashed Eddie Alvarez, who is one of the top 5 fighters in the most talent rich division in the history of MMA.  You can hate him, but he's more than proved himself in MMA.  The problem is, he's not a boxer.  He's a professional fighter, and a damn good one, but MMA isn't boxing and boxing isn't MMA.  McGregor is not going to be competitive in this fight.  Mayweather has been fighting the best boxers in the world for the last 20 years, and most of those fights haven't been competitive.  Mayweather is an all-time great fighter, fighting a dude who has never boxed professionally and boxing purists hate that people are talking about this fight and not any of the fights between real life top contenders.  How can you not understand that? 

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

This fight is absurd, but I'm not offended by it, but I fully understand why people on both sides hate it.  McGregor is a great MMA fighter, he beat Jose Aldo who is one of the 5 best MMA fighters ever, and smashed Eddie Alvarez, who is one of the top 5 fighters in the most talent rich division in the history of MMA.  You can hate him, but he's more than proved himself in MMA.  The problem is, he's not a boxer.  He's a professional fighter, and a damn good one, but MMA isn't boxing and boxing isn't MMA.  McGregor is not going to be competitive in this fight.  Mayweather has been fighting the best boxers in the world for the last 20 years, and most of those fights haven't been competitive.  Mayweather is an all-time great fighter, fighting a dude who has never boxed professionally and boxing purists hate that people are talking about this fight and not any of the fights between real life top contenders.  How can you not understand that? 

I don't think it even has to do with the accomplishments really. I mean everyone has their own angle and personal interests. I already talked about the resentment, which it mostly is. Kellerman, specifically, is an HBO guy. Why would an HBO guy talk up Conor McGregor when (one) Showtime is the one putting on the fight and (two) Cotto-Kamegai is on the same day as this fight. DiBella would probably tear down this fight too, but he is too entrenched with Haymon now to criticize this fight. 

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think it even has to do with the accomplishments really. I mean everyone has their own angle and personal interests. I already talked about the resentment, which it mostly is. Kellerman, specifically, is an HBO guy. Why would an HBO guy talk up Conor McGregor when (one) Showtime is the one putting on the fight and (two) Cotto-Kamegai is on the same day as this fight. DiBella would probably tear down this fight too, but he is too entrenched with Haymon now to criticize this fight. 

Not only that, this year has been a great year for boxing, and no one has cared.  This fight has been talked about more than Ward vs. Kovalev 2, GGG vs. Canelo, and Klitschko vs. Joshua.  That is like the Patriots and the Cowboys going undefeated into the Super Bowl, but we're talking about the '16 Broncos playing an exhibition game against the 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers.  

Just now, supremebve said:

Not only that, this year has been a great year for boxing, and no one has cared.  This fight has been talked about more than Ward vs. Kovalev 2, GGG vs. Canelo, and Klitschko vs. Joshua.  That is like the Patriots and the Cowboys going undefeated into the Super Bowl, but we're talking about the '16 Broncos playing an exhibition game against the 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers.  

That's what happens when your business model is volatile. From January to June and from mid September to December, boxing is just something occurs between the major sports. What does Al Haymon do? Put on a megafight on a day when jackshit is happening in sports when boxing notoriously (pun kinda intended) has intentionally not tried do anything during the summer.

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

I understand that McGregor does not deserve the fight. I get the gist of that argument. I don't understand the reluctancy of boxing purists in general. Like if the positions were reversed and Mayweather challenged Conor in the octagon, you would not see MMA fans shitting on it like boxing purists are. They would welcome Mayweather knowing damn well he would get his ass beat or probably because they know damn well. What I am saying is, this fight is not a big deal for boxing purists for them to be up in arms about like they are. Like I am not going to throw money at this event when I know damn well what is going to happen. A lot of people are, but I expect boxing purists to have this mentality as well. I don't know if I am communicating it well, but I just don't get it from a boxing promoters point of view to not want to sell a fight(no matter how one sided it is).

1 minute ago, Kyuubi said:

I understand that McGregor does not deserve the fight. I get the gist of that argument. I don't understand the reluctancy of boxing purists in general. Like if the positions were reversed and Mayweather challenged Conor in the octagon, you would not see MMA fans shitting on it like boxing purists are. They would welcome Mayweather knowing damn well he would get his ass beat or probably because they know damn well. What I am saying is, this fight is not a big deal for boxing purists for them to be up in arms about like they are. Like I am not going to throw money at this event when I know damn well what is going to happen. A lot of people are, but I expect boxing purists to have this mentality as well. I don't know if I am communicating it well, but I just don't get it from a boxing promoters point of view to not want to sell a fight(no matter how one sided it is).

James Toney didn't really seem to be a welcome guest especially with the spin check side kick and the talks of him submitting King Mo in training.

However, as I stated before, boxing folks really felt shunned when UFC took off. WWE business on PPV wasn't really great besides their big PPVs and it seemed like boxing needed a Floyd Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya to reinvigorate the sport. UFC rising like a phoenix from the ashes and kinda leading the PPV industry over the next ten years gave folks sour grapes. It also doesn't help people like Kellerman and others who claim to know boxing throw around the term "cash cow", which ignores the volatility of combat sports. Boxing went through a severe rough patch for a year or so after May/Pac just like UFC went through one in 2014. They want to be the only game in town, which isn't really possible because the history of boxing over several decades says a big fight/match in boxing/UFC/WWE sells no matter how rough the landscape is. It's not so much that combat sports are cyclical but that someone generates some amount of interest in one period or another that overshadows something else. Canelo vs. Golovkin is a great fight legacy wise especially for this era of boxing. However, compared to Mayweather/McGregor, it might as well be another obligatory HBO World Championship Boxing fight. Them's the breaks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was watching Unforgivable Blackness, which I highly recommend, on Saturday before UFC 213. Jack Johnson was fighting carnival folks and the like. So do these wins not count? McGregor is at least trained in forms of combat sports. A lot of high level boxers back then fought pro wrestlers and amateur wrestlers. Do these wins not count anymore? A lot of the sub bantamweight fighters were (and still are) fighting muay thai fighters with zero pro boxing fights and go on to win recognized world titles. Do those wins not count? Scully is just talking out his ass.

It's irrelevant, if there wasn't so much money and name value on the line this fight would be an exhibition by any other name

20 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

It's irrelevant, if there wasn't so much money and name value on the line this fight would be an exhibition by any other name

Except boxing doesn't do exhibitions really so those points are pretty damn relevant. Scully has no point. The level it takes to become a "professional" boxer today is the equivalent of what it was several decades ago. Roy Jones fought an actual NYPD officer in a world title "fight" (I don't think Richard Frazier touched Roy). We about to take that fight off his record? No because it was a sanctioned boxing fight. If it is sanctioned, it counts as a professional boxing bout. There have been fights on a major level with fighters who are less talented than Conor McGregor.

Phil Mushnick is probably having a stroke watching this press conference. I think like 50% of McGregor's spiel had to be edited, and Mayweather is close to that as well.

Bragging about how much money you've made when you are currently fending off Uncle Sam by saying you are broke doesn't seem like the smartest thing. Even with the megacheck Floyd will probably squander it all in a few years while McGregor will be way smarter with his money and be set for life. So regardless of the result (which is pretty much as certain as a Globetrotters-Generals game) I think Connor is going to be the real winner here.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Bragging about how much money you've made when you are currently fending off Uncle Sam by saying you are broke doesn't seem like the smartest thing. Even with the megacheck Floyd will probably squander it all in a few years while McGregor will be way smarter with his money and be set for life. So regardless of the result (which is pretty much as certain as a Globetrotters-Generals game) I think Connor is going to be the real winner here.

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with that. Conor ain't exactly the most frugal dude in the world. Floyd can always another fight where he gets over $50 million. He can still fight Manny next year and get around a quarter billion. Conor is going to have maintain a certain lifestyle off of one $100 million payoff. The Diaz brothers (even though Nate just got sued by old management along with Leslie Smith) can probably live off $5-10 million* each they accrued from a handful of UFC fights. Conor is mimicking the whole Floyd thing, and he just had a kid. He isn't going to slow down that lifestyle just because. His kid is about to reap the benefits of this for years to come along with Conor's girl and whatever luxuries Conor chooses to indulge in.  

*Figures based on what I've heard Meltzer kinda throw around in reference to why neither Diaz brother is in a hurry to fight.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

A year or two ago, it was claimed that Floyd had to make $100 million a year just to meet his expenses and break even for the year.  Um, ok.... Floyd doesn't seem like the downsizing type, so I kinda expect him to go bust at an epic level that has Barry Bonds shaking his head, going "how the hell can you spend all that money."

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

A year or two ago, it was claimed that Floyd had to make $100 million a year just to meet his expenses and break even for the year. 

Who claimed this?

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Who claimed this?

Don't remember.  It was probably ESPN, since that's about the only thing I catch for sports chat/analysis.  I kinda think it was Screamin' A's show, but don't hold me to that.  I just remember the comment pretty clearly.  It was sometime around the Pacquiao fight and they were talking about Mayweather's earnings and retirement sometime in the near future.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Don't remember.  It was probably ESPN, since that's about the only thing I catch for sports chat/analysis.  I kinda think it was Screamin' A's show, but don't hold me to that.  I just remember the comment pretty clearly.  It was sometime around the Pacquiao fight and they were talking about Mayweather's earnings and retirement sometime in the near future.

Yeah, I don't really think that suffices as evidence that he needs $100 million to break even in a year.