DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather McGregor Megafight Megathread

Kevin Wilson

I can't decide if it will be fascinating, awful, or both. As pointed out, Mayweather doesn't have that 'finish fights quickly' mentality, he is one of the best defensive boxers probably ever and picks his spots. Which he will land plenty of but McGregor has a chin and is used to being hit by bigger people so I don't see it being a knockout by the traditional sense. I think the most likely is a TKO of sorts, either by knockdowns or the referee just seeing enough, but I think McGregor will last a few rounds just based on his size and chin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Random thought: is it possible that this thing ends up a quasi work with Mayweather basically toying with him and dragging it out for like 3-4 rounds before finishing him off?

Well based on that was it a "quasi work" when he dragged it out for 12 rounds against Pacquiao?  Hard to tell the way Money fights

Conor has legit knockout power so even in a spectacle like this, Money will have to at least respect that and plan accordingly.

If Money boxes to his skills, I can't see Conor keeping up past Round 6 and then the debilitating punches will take their toll on Conor's will.

35 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well based on that was it a "quasi work" when he dragged it out for 12 rounds against Pacquiao?  Hard to tell the way Money fights

There was the moment Floyd fought Canelo where he did the matador thing to Canelo playing a bull, and Canelo hit the ropes as Floyd slid clean out of the way while looking at Canelo hit the ropes. If Floyd wasn't that good legitimately, that would be the closest you would see to a work in a high level boxing match.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I mean "work" implies two fighters (or their promoters) talking beforehand and deciding what they want to do. Mayweather just messing with people isn't a work, its just him messing with people. 

What part of the quasi qualifier I used did you not understand? It wouldn't be an outright work but carrying a guy to me counts as an element of working.

Best line I've seen about all this: They should give the fight away for free and put the press conference on PPV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What part of the quasi qualifier I used did you not understand? It wouldn't be an outright work but carrying a guy to me counts as an element of working.

I think the issue is more, carrying someone in a prize fight is pretty common, than anyone thinking you meant an actual work.  Whether it is fighting a lesser fighter who has one or two skills that you want to work on defending, or just putting on a show for the fans, fighters often extend fights.  Calling something a work is a mortal sin in prize fights, but carrying a guy is something that happens so often no one would think anything about it.  

I think this fight goes just long enough for Mayweather to embarrass him thoroughly.  Mayweather is about as good of a defensive boxer that exists, and McGregor is not going to be able to hit him.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Best line I've seen about all this: They should give the fight away for free and put the press conference on PPV.

Clearly none of it since that isn't what quasi generally means. I guess by only your definition most of Anderson Silva's fights were quasi works, and many of Muhammad Ali's matches were quasi works (well, that's a can of worms), and Jordan sticking out his tongue at people while he dunked on them was a quasi work. Which isn't how 99% of people use the phrase. Sports players clowning their opponents just because they can to amuse themselves isn't an anything-work. To answer your question, no, it won't be a "quasi" work or a semi work or any type of work. I don't think 50 fights into his career that Mayweather is suddenly change his MO.

• Like 1

A quasi work in combat sports is something like Travis Fulton, he of 250 plus fights in MMA and boxing, driving to the show with the dude he is suppose to fight. At the same time, the guy he is fighting is just some dude from the Midwest who probably works on a farm or at a construction site. So Travis Fulton beating said Midwestern yokel isn't out of the realm of possibility, but there is clearly something up. They likely worked out an agreement so Travis wouldn't hurt the guy too bad.

Takada-Kitao is technically a quasi work if you count swerves. They throw worked blows and then Takada knocks him into next week with a shoot kick for a legit KO.

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

The entire undercard should be stuff like Sumo vs. Ninja but in an eating contest and Chess robot vs. sprinter but in running short distances and accountant vs improv comic but in a basic algebra. 

So half UFC 1, half Japanese game show?

• Like 5

Hard to view this as anything but a one-sided win for Mayweather, but the crowd will go nuts if McGregor somehow makes it competitive.

CM Punk has to be on the undercard of this spectacle right?  Vs....  hell, I dunno...Ken Shamrock?  A clone of Marvin Hagler?  This guy?

banker-sea-creature-southpaw-regional-wrestling.jpg

• Like 1

There's got to be some sort of minor celebrity who dabbles in MMA and wouldn't be too good for Punk.  That'd probably garner some good media attention.  What's Jason David Frank, the ex-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers actor who got into MMA, doing now?

14 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

There's got to be some sort of minor celebrity who dabbles in MMA and wouldn't be too good for Punk.  That'd probably garner some good media attention.  What's Jason David Frank, the ex-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers actor who got into MMA, doing now?

He mostly goes to Cons and tries to get CM Punk to fight him.

I thought I read the undercard was only going to be boxing, which seems like missed opportunity for a celebration of combat sports in general. But I guess Mayweather being able to use the biggest PPV of the year to showcase his guys was a big selling point. That and the gajillion dollars.

59 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Hard to view this as anything but a one-sided win for Mayweather, but the crowd will go nuts if McGregor somehow makes it competitive.

Stylistically, Conor would be an optimal match-up for Money IF he were in a relatively similar skill class or possessed a similar level of endurance.. 

Money has traditionally had problems dealing with southpaws and not only is Conor a natural lefty, he has LETHAL knockout power in that hand.

The mountain that Conor has to climb is that he is a relatively novice boxer stepping into the ring against one of the greatest defensive technicians to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves.

You're also asking Conor, a man whose gas tank has rarely seen the end of fifth round much less a second round, to potentially box for twelve rounds against a fighter whose conditioning is near legendary..

• Like 1

I have no interest in Mayweather, particularly after the uninteresting Paquio fight.  Really, I have no interest in McGregor either.  I don't think I've ever actually seen one of his fights.

That said, of course, I'll throw money at Comcast to buy this fight.

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

He mostly goes to Cons and tries to get CM Punk to fight him.

WORKED-SHOOTY STUFF!  BOOK IT, DANA!

The undercard probably should be half MMA/half boxing, but it's obvious Mayweather had the juice and his camp set the terms.  Still gonna be a huge deal for MMA.

It is the possible ending that intrigues me.  TMK, Conor will arguably be one of the most aggressive finishers that Money has been in ring with. 

In the unlikely event that Conor lands a blow that hurts Mayweather, it will be really interesting to see what happens next. 

If Conor smells blood in the water, he's sure to move in for the kill and that may or may not be good idea.

Sugar Shane Mosely came within an eyelash of putting Money on his ass, but I think that Shane had concerns about his gas tank and feared punching himself out. 

Not pressing his advantage proved to be a mistake but aggression is Conor's biggest asset, yet he's the one who needs to really think about how fatigue will affect his performance in late rounds.... if he lasts that long..

Current Vegas odds have Money at -1100 and McGregor at +700. 

In order to win $100 betting on Money to win, you'd have to wager $1,100.

If you put $100 on Money to win, you'll receive a whopping eleven dollars if he wins.

18 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I have no interest in McGregor either.  I don't think I've ever actually seen one of his fights.

Here you go:

aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight.gif

50 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I thought I read the undercard was only going to be boxing, which seems like missed opportunity for a celebration of combat sports in general. But I guess Mayweather being able to use the biggest PPV of the year to showcase his guys was a big selling point. That and the gajillion dollars.

Bellator has done the two kickboxing and MMA joint shows, but neither one really clicked. The first show was long and boring as hell. The second one was just alright. There was a minor league MMA show in 09 with Randy Couture's ex Kim (the one where she got her jaw broke) with both MMA and boxing (I believe the boxing portion was on ESPN2 for Friday Night Fights), and it didn't really click either. In Japan, it works since it's happening on NYE (which is traditionally a big day for TV over there) and you can put pseudo celebrities and whatnot on the bill. In the United States, it's just different fanbases. The boxing people want to watch boxing. The MMA folks wants to see MMA.  Plus, you're going to have less seats in the building if you put a ring and an Octagon in there. That gate is going to be huge, and they ain't about to mess with that over an extra fighting surface.