DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Generic - 6/13/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I'm consistently amazed at how good a job Breeze & Fandango are doing in getting the Fashion Police over. 

And a fun little 6 man main, I still have roughly no idea who's winning on Sunday, which is good.  I'm still picking Corbin since they've been doing the whole "shocking losses" negative push that usually ends up with the recipient holding gold for some reason. 

• Like 4

Decent show.

Main Event got a decent chunk of time and Sami is a great face-in-peril.

Charlotte and Nattie got some time and had a good one. Feel like it's been awhile since we've seen a good one-on-one women's match with a clean finish.

Fashion Files had a few great bits in it.

Missed a bunch of the opening tag.

I think Zack's turning on Mojo.

I hope Zack's not turning on Mojo. Some guys are perfectly fine as tag team wrestlers. Not every tag team needs to split and feud. 

If the day comes that Breezango split, I'll be sitting shiva. It will definitely be a period of mourning.

• Like 6

8-man tag was decent. The Fahsion Files continue to be fun. I am saddened we didn't get a close up of this week's bulletin board. At least we got Sami being Generic.

Tamina/Naomi was ok. Lana hitting her finish in that dress was kind of impressive since you could tell that shit was annoying to deal with. Charlotte/Nattie was a nice match with a surprisingly clean finish.

I kind of enjoy Sami's current character. Its sort of dumb, but I can also see it also feels kind of natural. Maine event was decent.

Glad Zack is back. Hope he and Mojo get a shot at the belts.

New Day's entrance was lit.  They need to do that every night.  A few months ago I was ready them to take an extended break as their schtick was so played out, but since their SD debut I've been enthused about them once again.

Fashion Police have found a way to take a sure fire jobber gimmick and make it into one of the most entertaining things on the show.

Aside from the boring and predictable Jinder/Randy segment the rest of the show was solid.  I can't tell who's going to win either of the MITB matches and that's good.

Speaking of which, there are only 5 matches booked.  Since Ryder is apparently cleared now, there are 6 tag teams if you count the Bollywood Boys who aren't booked.  It would be a massive clusterfuck, but a tag team MITB would be a good way to round it out.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Thought Naomi/Tamina was a solid 5 minute match. Tamina looked pretty good and had some nice spots. Dug Naomi's gear here too.

That's one of those matches Tamina periodically has where you're left sitting there going "Wait...why is she usually the bodyguard/background for other wrestlers?!  Why doesn't she wrestle more?!"

• Like 1

Probably because that was one of Tamina's best performances and its pretty forgettable. The last time she had something that nice was a carry job by Becky. Tamina has a great badass aura, but she has never really been consistently decent in the ring. Its why they give her little to do even in tag matches.

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

So Lana's taking the belt Sunday right? I give her props for nailing that finisher in that dress at least 

Only question that matters is will the match be before or after the women's MITB match. If it's after, I suspect a cash in right on her if she wins. If its before the match, we'll have to wait for Smackdown for that.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

So Lana's taking the belt Sunday right? I give her props for nailing that finisher in that dress at least 

I think its depends on the match placement. If its before the MITB match I think she takes it. If its after not so much. Regardless I can't help but think Naomi doesn't leave this PPV as champ. She either loses it to Lana or to the MITB winner. I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but I unfortunately can't shake the feeling.

Same.  My guess is Lana wins the belt, then someone cashes in MitB before the night is out.

Don't know that I like that scenario.  Naomi losing to Lana in her first televised singles match would be weak, and the only people in MitB i want to see win are Becky or Charlotte.  Charlotte turning back heel and cashing in, then feuding with Becky, would be fine with me.  Don't particularly want to see any of the Welcoming Committee with the belt.  

Has anyone actually seen Lana wrestle in NXT?  She's wrestled 20 or 30 matches, but I don't think any of them aired.

1 minute ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Has anyone actually seen Lana wrestle in NXT?  She's wrestled 20 or 30 matches, but I don't think any of them aired.

Her only televised match was the Mania pre-show match

In NXT - she only works the Florida house shows and most of the time they are only on the Thursday and Fridays.

Maybe there is a fancam floating around but no - they aren't on TV

Stuff from Talking Smack

- it is a JBL episode so adjust your expectations accordingly

- Nakamura was on for the first time and I think JBL wanted to spend the entire time talking about training in Japan which actually would have been amazing

- Nakamura mentioned that part of the reason he came to the WWE was to do new things and a ladder match will be new to him

- Renee played word association with Shinsuke asking him to say the first thing that came to his mind about his opponents

• KO: Talks to much
  • Sami: "same"
  • Dolph: This is where he got some folks talking as he described Dolph as a good wrestler and then said "If he goes to Japan... probably soon" he would do well and that he wants to wrestle Dolph more (So some folks are wondering if Shinsuke actually spilled the beans on Dolph's contract situation)
  • AJ: "AJ is a prefect 100" - he referenced his match in New Japan and wants to do it again. He loves wrestling against AJ's style but said he can't wrestle AJ's style (JBL asked if AJ was the best he ever wrestled and Nakamura was non-committal but did seem to imply he is one of them)
  • Baron Corbin: Doesn't have a lot of experience but since he has size that will help him out

- Renee brought up Shinsuke being friends with James Ellsworth and their Instagram adventures. (JBL clearly was not pleased about that). Nakamura brought up that Ellsworth said he was a surfer and a skater too and that is how they started hanging out.

- They teased him that if he wins MITB he can't cash in while doing his long ass entrance.

- JBL said Nattie is the "dark horse" of the women's MITB match

- Hype Bros were next. Ryder said doctor's said his recovery would be 6-9 months and that last night was exactly 6 months to the day from his injury.

- Then they talk about the squatty potty and I am regretting my life choices

- Ryder said his knee exploded when he leapt to do the Ruff Ryder. They then talk about what the knee looked like so some of you might not want to hear that if you stomach is uneasy.

- JBL questions if Mojo wants to go backing to a tag team and both keep saying how they have earned a tag title shot. (Rippa note - so expect the Ryder turn during the eventual title match)

- Jinder is on last. It was amusing as he was trying to be heelish to Renee (about how she didn't think he could win the title, etc..) but clearly was having too good a time teasing her and kept fighting off a smile. Meanwhile - the Singh Brothers are great stooges standing making facial expressions in the background.

- JBL tells a story that one time in Japan (BTW - JBL really loves to tell you he worked in Japan) that Bob Orton Jr told JBL once that "My kid will be the greatest of all time" and JBL was like "Yeah whatever old man"

• Like 2

Until last night, I had no idea what a squatty potty was.  Not sure I'm better off for knowing.

Jinder trying not to break character and the Singh Bros. wacky antics were highlights for me.  Shinsuke talking about Dolph is sleep-inducing for me.  Speaking of which, AJ's pumphandle gutbuster looks like death.  Ouch.  And he followed that up with his back-of-the-knee fireman carry neckbreaker.  Ouch, again,  Not a good night to be Dolph.

I'll actually miss the Hype Bros.  Neither one seems like he'll go far in singles.

• Like 1