DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Also, Mike Sweetser should be Bullet Club's personal referee. Just throwing that out there for the hell of it.

Ha.  I've done the heel referee thing and believe me, it's a no-win situation.

Besides, I'd sell out the first chance I got to either LIJ or Suzuki-gun.  I can't be trusted.

That could be your schtick, going between which ever faction pays you best. May require Red Shoes beating you up on occasion.

Ha, this reminds me: When Red Shoes first came out on Night 1 in Long Beach, the pop he got was MASSIVE -- so much so, he looked around quizzically, pointed to himself, and then gave bows to each side of the audience. That whole weekend was filled with goosebump moments, and that was definitely one of 'em for me. 

• Like 2

I'm finally giving English commentary a shot and Don Callis is the fucking man. Gets the match story over, gets the wrestlers over, gets himself over. It's awesome. I liked him as a kid but I was worried that he wouldn't fit in with NJPW's style, but he defo makes it work. Was never a fan of Kelly's ROH work but he sounds more confident and he's got some good chemistry going on with Don.

• Like 1

Both of those matches featured guys who would be wrestling each other on Night 2 on opposite teams.  It was a tease for what was to come.  Plus, nobody cares about the G1 undercards, so you might as well do something fun and halfway interesting.

@dokdoyleWe've had some quality tags in the first three days already. Some are clearly filler but each day has had at least one tag match in the very good/great range imo. 

I don't like Red Shoes for the same reason I don't like Hebner. It's not about you, dawg. I also don't love dogs.

Today's card was a blast. Sabre vs. Ibushi was tremendous. Lived up to the hype and then some and what a fresh style that match was. I adored Zack adding in neck damage to all of his submissions. SANADA vs. Minoru tag was really good. "Taichi is a douche" was fucking hilarious! I've turned the corner on Taichi big time in 2017, as he serves as a nice change of pace from everybody going for a MOTY and the fans really don't like him. Some of the sounds of flesh meeting flesh in Makabe vs. Ishii were disgusting. Really enjoyable war and Ishii has been in two gruelling contests so far. Bullet Club brought the comedy in their tag and furthered the dissension. Not super high on Goto or Nagata but it was a fun li'l match. One armed Tana vs. Fale was a intriguing and one of their better meetings. The Bad Luck Fall counter was a thing of beauty. I forgot to mention YOSHI-HASHI in my ramblings on how many guys have improved. The butterfly lock sequence was perfect. Milked it for everything they could get. 

New Japan is just on another level, holy shit. NJPW World during G1 season is the best value for wrestling fans.

I love how we treat the G1 like the most serious tournament in wrestling and the thing everyone is and will be talking about this weekend is Bad Luck Fale killing Daryl the cat :lol:

To be fair Daryl was more over than half of the people in the G1  

• Like 2

Juice/Evil was my favorite match on a show that also featured Suzuki, Omega, and Okada singles matches, and the only surprising thing is I'm not really surprised, given the trajectory they've been on. Two guys at basically the same level, real sympathy, and a great finishing stretch.

I did enjoy Suzuki/Sanada, which I think pushed forward the story of Sanada having all the tools, but not using them properly. He lost because he went to the ground and started trading submissions, which... yeah, he should pay for that. 

There really wasn't a ton to Omega/Tama itself; the match was all about the angle, which is still being teased out. Felt like the crowd was holding its breath for a swerve that never came.

In some ways, Elgin is my least favorite type of opponent for Okada. He gives away so much even when he isn't facing the ace of the company, that unbelievable nearfalls are instead very predictable. I did enjoy the burning hammer attempt, though, since Okada is basically on that Misawa god-tier of absorbing an absurd amount of your power moves, then beating you anyway. 

That's the one issue I have with Elgin, he does so much stuff that could be a finish, even in Main Event style New Japan. He's gotten a lot better at it, but watching him in PWG was like a chore. Okay, he's doing that spot and that one and that one and that one and that counter he always does and that spot and he probably wins with that one, yup. You could fall asleep to an Elgin singles match at times. He'd rarely change up a match formula with counters or different stuff. It was like a 5 minute WWE match stretched to 20 regardless of the opponent most of the time. He's gotten a lot better at the stuff between his big moves though and his aura is much better.

• Like 2