DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

I go back and forth on WK and Dominion depending on the day of the week. There are significant differences but I don't think they make them better or worse. I'd say this was probably the weakest of the bunch bit I'd still give it the full fiver. They did about as good of a job working within the confinements of a 30 minute match, working around an asymmetric story of Okada's injuries, and with both men legitimately beaten up after the G1 took its toll. They continued to tell a layered story, building on the previous two matches, and Kenny's desperation to win the group,  but more importantly for him, finally get the victory over Okada. And they also played with the notion of a quick finish but I think with Okada being built up as a deity in his ability to absorb punishment, I think they made the right call on that. 

That underhook move Ken dog hit, that was a piledriver more than a Tiger Driver '91, right? Splitting hairs, I know. I thought for sure he was going to drop forward onto his knees for the 91. Cool that Omega had to come up with new counters (ROCK BOTTOM) and a new death move for Okada's neck to get the win. It was well earned. Oooh, and how could I forget the Croyt's Wrath?! I popped so dang hard for that. 

Two five star matches (obv. qualifier: in my opinion) in as many nights with a strong possibility of a third tomorrow. Unreal. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Two five star matches (obv. qualifier: in my opinion) in as many nights with a strong possibility of a third tomorrow. Unreal. 

New Japan's top of the card performers are unparalleled in the modern wrestling world. Naito and Kenny are going to have a hell of a final, that's for sure! Let's go Naito! Los Ingobernables for life!

• Like 2

I've always known the sitout variation to be called a Tiger Driver 98, though I can't  recall or find who named it that, and I'm pretty sure Misawa never did it. A 91 would have been awesome, since it specifically targets Okada's injury and has more historical feud deciding importance in Japan, but it's also way more dangerous to perform. 

Anyway, not to wimp out, but I really can't rank the trilogy. I guess the Dome is the best in a vacuum; if I were to show a casual wrestling fan any one of them, it would be that. But having seen it, wouldn't they love Dominion? And then today's match would be immensely entertaining and satisfying. That's what has made this series really special: they're top of the line main events in the modern "dream match" style, while incorporating long term, layered, sequential story telling. So, whichever one I just watched is my favorite, until I start over again.

Taking a step back from Okada/Omega for a moment...

I'm curious to see what they do with ZSJ from here.  I'd say he's solidly established as a heavyweight competitor with wins over badasses like Ishii, Fale, and Makabe, among other heavies.  Do they continue using him as a heavy or drop him back down to the juniors, where he'd instantly be the top contender?  Kushida doesn't really have an obvious next challenger, at this point.  And no other junior has the cred ZSJ is carrying right now.  That has to be Kushida's WK match, at least.

Just now, EVA said:

Taking a step back from Okada/Omega for a moment...

I'm curious to see what they do with ZSJ from here.  I'd say he's solidly established as a heavyweight competitor with wins over badasses like Ishii, Fale, and Makabe, among other heavies.  Do they continue using him as a heavy or drop him back down to the juniors, where he'd instantly be the top contender?  Kushida doesn't really have an obvious next challenger, at this point.  And no other junior has the cred ZSJ is carrying right now.  That has to be Kushida's WK match, at least.

Yeah, that's a tough question, honestly. This tournament made me feel like, despite his size, that New Japan has found the spot Sabre belongs in. I say continue using him as a heavy, although that does leave a gap as far as the junior division. Alternatively, if Ibushi starts wrestling more for New Japan as a heavyweight (because it's Ibushi, you never know, he might disappear for months after the G1 to do his own thing, as he is known to do), then let's get Sabre into the junior division to give Kushida a fresh challenger.

Right? I've never even heard of the Tiger Driver '98. Roooooosh also uses it.

I don't think they'd waste Zack's awesome G1 by moving him down to the junior division. He's going to challenge Tanahashi for the IC strap in autumn probably. Think of all the talented but smaller independent workers across the globe. Sign some of those dudes for the junior division because it's too thin right now. Their junior tag division is pretty much non-existent now that RPG Vice is done in the promotion. 

On a Being The Elite Q&A held earlier today before the show, Kenny said he thinks Hiromu has the ability to bulk up and be a major player in the heavyweight division. He's pretty short (Wikipedia has him at 5'7.5"), but I feel the same way. Honestly, I think they should ditch the division. These days, size isn't as big of a factor it was in the past and Sabre's G1 is a testament to that. Just work smart. 

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Tiger Driver '98 is what Excalibur called his version. It has a ton of other names.

Thanks. It was gnawing at me. I kept getting confused with Ultramantis Black--masks!--who of course used a different name. 

Regarding Sabre: it's possible they intend to use his G1 to give some shine to the Junior division and belt, should he win it. He could also be the one to write off Tanahashi, or maybe he and Suzuki maul people in the Tag League. (Not mutually exclusive, I realize.) I think prefer him as a heavyweight though, as it holds back some his more indulgent striking/selling. 

As for ditching the junior division: the Bucks have said, over and over, that they'd love nothing more than to unify the tag belts; but also, that they can't see it happening. 

29 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Thanks. It was gnawing at me. I kept getting confused with Ultramantis Black--masks!--who of course used a different name. 

Praying Mantis Bomb I believe.

14 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Is there a lineup for tonight's show including the undercard?  I know they mentioned a jr. tag title defense, plus War Machine v. Cody/Page for the heavyweight tag titles.

OP updated with the lineup for the Final show.  

There are some pretty ugly looking undercard tags. Woof. I was hoping to stay up and watch live but I don't know if my body can handle the first 4 matches.

Edit: I was curious as to when the last EVIL/Ishii match was because I want to see them face off soon. March of last year for the ROH TV title and they had a first round match in the NJ Cup three weeks prior to that. We're due!

You think Kazuchika Okada will be IWGP Heavyweight Champion at Wrestle Kingdom 12. Depending on the G1 Climax 27 winner, it's Okada vs. Kenny Omega IV with both having a win with one draw so it needs the decider or Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito with the story they lost the public vote to main event Wrestle Kingdom  8 beaten by Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Champion. Two great options, I'd go with Okada vs. Naito plus Naito was my pick to win the tournament ; ).