DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

Okada is really, really selling that neck. I know we've discussed to death how probable a dominant/fast win for Omega is, but if it happens, we can't say it's not earned. 

But that's for tomorrow. Today was pretty damn good. 

-Nagata/Fale was a pretty good match I grew to care a lot about, the sort where the ending makes sense, but damn it's not what you want in the moment. But this is what we watch for, fundamentally, those moments of real feeling that bludgeon our notions of oh, look how this is booked, etc. 

-YOSHIHASHI/Makabe was a pretty good match I... didn't care about. So.

-For all I sorta half complained earlier that Ishii was getting... perhaps a little formulaic, he really has demonstrated a lot of versatility in this tournament. ZSJ is effective by being basically the opposite: he needs to work his match, kayfabe and not, for it to work. And this really did. Another great performance by Ishii, and another moment to really put over Sabre as a credibly heavyweight force. 

-The story of Ibushi is sort of Sabre's mirror: he wants to establish himself as a heavyweight by wrestling that style, and rely less on his natural advantages. So he mostly doesn't try to disrupt Goto with aerial maneuvers; instead, he's intent to trade strikes and suplexes. It was compelling, and it nearly worked. Nearly. Still, I think he's clearly ascendant. He'll do what he wants, of course, but I'd like to see him invest a couple years now, while he has them, to really seeing if he can make it as a top star in New Japan. I know theirs was the Three Musketeers, but I don't think the company would turn down a Four Corners of Omega/Ibushi/Naito/Okada, each in their prime.

-Of course, for those four to be the main eventers, Tanahashi needs to vacate his spot as ace... which he has, in some respects. But he's still an absolute star--just see how people react--and capable of superstar performances at the top of the card. Paired with Naito... well, we know what that is, at this point. It's going to be great, and this was. Meaningful limb work and selling, playing off of previous matches and teasing the time limit, then escalating to the inevitable finishers and counters thereof. It was what you'd expect, in terms of structure, quality, and outcome, but we shouldn't be any less appreciative because of that. 

• Like 2

I loved Tanahashi/Naito, great match.

I have no idea how tomorrow and sunday play out.  There are 2 huge meaningful stories going on, one is Omega being able to finally overcome Okada.  The second is Naito's 4 year long story coming full circle of not only getting to Main the Dome, but winning the title there.  I can see Omega taking tomorrow, but Naito winning the whole thing, because THAT would be the completion of his ascendency, which I'm going to go right out and say that wrapping that up and cementing Naito as the Kawada to Okada's Misawa is way more important than putting Omega in the spot, and I say that as an Omega fan.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ace said:

For those who haven't seen the Nagata/Fale deal:

Hide contents

Initially, I thought this was just a respect thing, but then I caught that Fale was once part of the Blue Justice stable, so that makes it mean a bit more.

6 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

Initially, I thought this was just a respect thing, but then I caught that Fale was once part of the Blue Justice stable, so that makes it mean a bit more.

Nagata also trained Fale during his Young Lion days.

Everything about Fale/Nagata was great.  Arguably (and unexpectedly) both guys' best match of the tournament.  The commentator was driven to tears, man!  Tears!  A WWE commentator would have to clean out his desk after a show of emotion like that; there would be no end to the on-air mockery.

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

Everything about Fale/Nagata was great.  Arguably (and unexpectedly) both guys' best match of the tournament.  The commentator was driven to tears, man!  Tears!  A WWE commentator would have to clean out his desk after a show of emotion like that; there would be no end to the on-air mockery.

I'm kinda imagining Vince yelling in the commentator's ear "Dammit, pal, there's no crying in wrestling."

9 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I have no idea how tomorrow and sunday play out.  There are 2 huge meaningful stories going on, one is Omega being able to finally overcome Okada.  The second is Naito's 4 year long story coming full circle of not only getting to Main the Dome, but winning the title there.  I can see Omega taking tomorrow, but Naito winning the whole thing, because THAT would be the completion of his ascendency, which I'm going to go right out and say that wrapping that up and cementing Naito as the Kawada to Okada's Misawa is way more important than putting Omega in the spot, and I say that as an Omega fan.

If we end up with Naito and Omega in the finals, then add to all you've mentioned the fact that it was Omega who beat Naito in their final block match last year to advance and beat Goto.  But the subtext to that makes it even better, as that was, to me, one of the best New Japan matches in the past few years, and way more than the final with Goto, Naito absolutely made Omega in the match.  It was undeniably clear after that match that Kenny was a star, and Naito, the hottest star in the promotion at that moment, pretty much allowed that to happen.   It's also worth noting that NJPW hasn't given away that match since then, either.  Protecting marquee match-ups and long-term booking, what a concept.  

I guess I would be fine with Naito vs. Okada, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve if Naito defeats him, as we already know Naito can beat Okada.  The one remaining, and kind of intriguing, option would be for Okada to beat Naito and be the supreme ruler of all, perhaps even nudging towards more overt heeling during the encounter and in the post-match promo.  That would be fascinating to watch.  However, in that scenario, who would the next challenger(s) be?  

• Like 1

Well, there's 2 PPV's plus one of the Destruction shows, so there's always the chance that Okada drops the belt to Omega (if Omega wins tomorrow) at one of those and go Naito/Omega at WK.

But Okada/Naito is a full circle deal.  Okada/Naito was supposed to main WK8 but, well, that fan vote happened.  It coming around to WK12 and Okada/Naito for the belt this time absolutly going Main would be a pretty big.  Winning at the Dome is a huge fucking deal.  Okada had beaten Tanahashi, for the belt, a couple times, but the story running through WK9 and 10 was "but can Okada beat Tanahashi at the Dome".  If Naito goes into the Dome and Beats Okada 4 years after he's both denied the Main Event AND comes up short, that's a big storyline.  Bigger in Japan at least than Omega winning.  And Omega can always be revisited.  And it's not like Naito would be short challengers.

I didn't think either of these final group stage shows would offer anything that would top Suzuki/Okada but I gotta say I think I preferred Tanahashi/Naito. Two master artists painting a classic. The emotional swings throughout with both men playing to the darkside at times was compelling. The selling was ultra compelling. Tanahashi sitting his ass down on Naito's head with the cloverleaf was un-fucking-real. These guys are so fucking great. This match was fucking great. All the stars.

• Like 1

I haven't talked puro for a while, but man if this G1 hasn't been just amazing to watch and really got me in the mood to discuss good ol' wrestling from Japan, so I had to get an account!

The respect between Nagata and Fale at the end of that match, the tears of the commentator, the audience... what an amazing moment. Obviously I'm a big Nagata fan, and I'm sad that to have seen his final G1 match, but life goes on. I'm just glad that back in 2007 (wow, ten years already!) he got another run with the belt. I saw it as an unexpected and unlikely win back then, and to think he's still kicking (quite literally) to this day... major respect. Nagata's first IWGP reign is still one of my favourite in the history of the belt.

And I've got to echo what Oyaji said, hell of a match between Naito and Tanahashi. Naito is the best wrestler in the world, basically capable of a compelling match with anyone, and the crowd buys into him so much. It'd be a mistake for him to not win this tournament.

• Like 2

AXS TV is starting G1 '17 NEXT WEEK for all those who haven't been following (like me)

EDIT: I feel like a total ass not trying to follow it all via Dailymotion. That Nagata/Fale match wrecked me. And I don't like Fale at all, really. Ross and Warmaster are gonna feel like such a hindrance on the proceedings now, and I don't get all the little matches that are probably better than some of the big ones. 

12 hours ago, iowanole said:

Just found this site a few days ago.  It's been a blast reading through threads, catching up on news and reading opinions.  Appreciate all those who contribute to this site!  Thanks!

Hello and welcome to you!

Gotta say that I didn't really respect how smart of a worker Ibushi is until his performances this G1. I always thought of him as a slightly evolved spot monkey that could be led to brilliant things with the right dance partner but was just as likely to derail a great match with silliness. But, it's pretty obvious he's incredible in terms of adaptability and storytelling. Strong contender for G1 MVP along with like half the field. Insane tournament.

Beech's comparison to the 4 pillars of heaven is fascinating. I don't think they're quite at the level of portraying the minutiae and personalities quite as well as Kawada/Misawa/Kobashi/Taue and later Akiyama. However, the promotion as a whole has a higher output of great matches or, at the very least, a similar to the incredible '91-'94 span of All Japan main eventers. There is so much more depth with current New Japan that makes following them week in, week out is so much fun. All Japan didn't have an Ishii that they could elevate to the main event scene without any issue, for example.

Here's hoping Ibushi sticks around full time-ish for a while and Kenny stays with New Japan for the long term. They have something truly special right now. Tanahashi isn't even close to being done too, so you've got 4 cornerstones + the possibility of Ibushi with a really strong supporting cast headed by guys like Ishii, EVIL, Juice, and Sanada. AND the juniors! *Zandig mode* JYEEEEEEZUZ. */Zandig mode*

Zack vs. Ishii kicked all sorts of ass. That was some king sized shit by Ishii putting over ZED.S.J. And the ridiculous submission ending completely played into the Tanahashi/Naito finishing stretch with the cloverleaf spot.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, I've not been Nagata's most ardent supporter but he's had a helluva run in the tournament. That was a great note to end his G1 career on too. It may not compare favourably to the Tanahashi, Ishii, or Ibushi matches but it hit all the right emotional notes and, in the end, it was the right thing for Fale to put him down and then show some respect.

Goto going over Ibushi to finish ahead of Kota in the standings is a great example of why I can't get on board with Goto. Look at their respective performances in the tournament. Ibushi busted his ass, trying different things in pretty much all of his matches and each of them being at least good. Goto did his usual performance in pretty much all of them and it was fine. I understand the Japanese perspective of wanting to protect the loyal homegrown employee over the freelancer, but... I mean, come on.

giphy.gif

I know this one result doesn't undo the great tournament Ibushi had but I feel like it's a bit of a message that Gedo won't go fully on board with Ibushi as is. I suppose it's understandable but Goto is such a basic bitch.

• Like 2

Nagata/Fale killed me. Man the look on Nagata's face, the respect from Fale, Nogami a mess, the fans...such a great moment. Nagata left it all in the ring in every match and forced everyone he faced to bring their best to put him down. 

Yoshi-hashi/Makabe I had nothing for after the emotion of Nagata's finale. It was a match.

Goto/Ibushi was yet another showcase for Ibushi as serious heavyweight, but Goto held his own in his reliable if unspectacular way.

Ishii/ZSJ was yet another tremendous match between these two. Fantastic chemistry and story telling. Cocky Sabre does his usual arm work, but when he gets lit up he goes serious and targets the knee viciously. Ishii manning up on the kicks to the leg and executing Sabre with the lariat up through his chest to his head was brutally beautiful. Finish was fantastic. Even when tied into a painful pretzel the Stone Pitbull won't quit. 

Naito/Tanahashi was a classic. As a huge Naito fan I was in full mark mode and desperately worried when Tanahashi sat down with the cloverleaf. As others have said the possibility of a ref stoppage was already established with Ishii. So yeah to say I am happy with the result would be an understatement. All in for Naito against Omega/Okada in the Finals. This G1 won't quit bringing the greatness.

• Like 4

After the dragon on the apron I was thinking Okada shouldn't go back on offense, but he would because we hadn't had any Rainmakers hit yet, and I wouldn't buy it when he did. But, they did a perfect job of easing back into it with those weak forearms and it actually worked for me. 

Omega throwing out everything down the stretch, without spamming finishers at all, was great. That uranage, wow.

Also impressive that it felt like a fitting final chapter to the trilogy even without going epically long.

quick views on the Block B final night (day 18)

undercard was a house show. surprised they did nothing with Tanahashi and Ibushi. Kitamura in Taguchi Japan was really great.

Elgin-Juice good strong work from two people who've had a good tournament in-ring, but only one of whom had any real sense of booking trajectory. ***3/4

SANADA-Tonga got a bit distracted during this by a call but it seemed like a fun little house show match with some comedy and some decent work ***

Suzuki-Yano the rekindling of the greatest feud since Buddy Rogers and Haystacks Calhoun did not disappoint **1/2

EVIL-Kojima good tournaments for both end with a good Hamaguchi-student lariatfest ***1/2

Okada-Omega real good condensed version of all the stuff they did before with a few little twists and variants hinted at in the booking and writing. The time limit kept them focused and the story gave them something to work with rather than just doing for "a great match". I like Omega's simpler stuff more - his knees, his chops, and that really lovely uranage he hit. Okada looks, for the first time, really beaten up and needs some time off. I could live without kicking out of Tiger Drivers and Kenny's slight overselling but the writing has made them into Kings Road style megamen and I find nitpicking easier at the top end because what you're doing is saying why it is or isn't 5 stars. I preferred the Suzuki-Okada match so on that basis i go ****3/4

• Like 2

Omega bringing back the glasses and (a new, but still) leather jacket had me won over before the match started, admittedly. But they nailed it once the bell rang. Teased the sprint, and really Omega controlled 70% of the match. Like a team with that much of the ball but no goals, you began to worry about his finishing; but Okada was always chasing the game. So even beyond his initial injury, he absorbed a lot of damage and accumulated fatigue. He just hit enough counters to hold back the dark, but that's really all he was doing. (To stick with my forced analogy, these were more desperation clearances than counterattacks.) Omega was first to his feet after the tombstone, and Okada couldn't put enough on the final rainmaker to really make you believe he could win... and yet. Maybe? Maybe he just has his number? Not quite. Omega had to dig into his arsenal a bit, building up from a rock bottom (more of a Hase uranage, which I'm guessing is the "Rainbreaker" he teased in the Tokyo Sports article, thinking he needed a better counter) to the Croyt's Wrath to the Tiger Driver until finally the v-triggers made the OWA inevitable; but he got it done. Cathartic.

And then speaking Japanese! Basically thanking the fans! Hmm...

• Like 3

I lived and died with all the nearfalls and rainmaker attempts. The highest praise I can heap on this feud is that it made me a fan again and not an over analyzing, cynical viewer. That was just about perfect and I feel drained. I'll watch the undercard later. 

• Like 5