DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

top 10 NJPW regulars/semi-regulars I would rather fight ahead of Toru Yano but expect I could beat maybe none of. I won't count young boys but I reckon all the current crop would whip me. That Kawato knows some sick judo. I haven't looked at your list to avoid being influenced.

Hide contents

Ryusuke Taguchi

BUSHI
Jado
YOSHIHASHI
Yujiro
Young Bucks (count as one)
Will Ospreay
Takashi Iizuka
Tiger Mask IV
Zack Sabre Jr

most of these are because they're old or I am a bit bigger than (6', 185lbs) so I might have a chance, but I don't like throwing strikes so think I'd get grapplefucked

Taguchi did futbol and wrestling, but not at a high level. BUSHI's got a background of some kind in kickboxing and uh, breakdancing. Jado has no background in sports, is an old man, small and broken down. YOSHI-HASHI is heavier than you and has an amateur background of some sort. Yujiro was a baseball player and a fairly well accomplished amateur wrestler. Avoid him. Ospreay has no discernable sporting background, but is young and a psychotic athlete, so might get lucky or just literally jump over you and kick you in the back of the head somehow. Iizuka played basketball and was taught catch wrestling while training, but is old, he's pretty heavy though. The Young Bucks are just entertainers, they'd probably just offer you some free merch you can re-sell on eBay to go away. Tiger Mask has a fairly extensive Shooto training, but is smaller and old. Zack probably has a random variety of training of unknown quality.

Analysis results: Your best bet is to go after Jado.

• Like 1

oh yeah I mean I am well aware of all their credentials and my poor chances (I have some judo, I am reasonably fit from running and cycling, I have good cardio is basically it). plus I wouldn't want to beat on Jado as my friend teaches his kid English and he got something signed for me once. so I'm batting 0 for 10. and Yano would crush all these imo!

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Was hoping this would get five, because I was working with the erroneous memory that Suzuki had never received that "official" designation. For some reason, I "remembered" both of his Observer MOTY only getting 4.75, but that was only true for Suzuki/Styles 2014, whereas Suzuki/Tanahashi 2012 did get five, after all. (I mean, none of this matters, ultimately. And it will take an act of god to pry the award from Okada and Omega's metaphorical ~wrist control~ this year anyway.)

On WOR, Dave said he was turned off by the long slap exchanges due to fear for their health more or less. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's fair. Slaps aren't punches, but they are repeated, concussive blows to the head. And I'm not especially concerned with star ratings in general--even when I've done match reviews/lists, I just write a bunch of junk without quantification in the end--except that I thought Suzuki had never received that "award", and hey, it might be nice for the old man. But I mean, he's more interested in posting about his neat socks sponsorship, I imagine, so it's whatever. 

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Analysis results: Your best bet is to go after Jado.

This makes some sense, but I'd be afraid Gedo would hop out from behind a tree and nut-shot me or something.

I'd fight.... um.... Daryl?  I'm 5'10' and 135 pounds.  I can probably outrun the NJ guys over 5,000 meters or more (I run marathons) but I haven't been in an actual fight for at least 30 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Ask Sheamus about that. Y'know, reportedly.

It's crazy, though, I really dug *Naofumi Yamamoto* as a Young Lion, was psyched for his G1 run in the mid-oughts. Liked his stuff in ECW, and that entrance music! I still sort of blame the neck injury. At least I want to.

Either Omega or Naito winning would be awesome, and the best story to tell.  But my unrealistic fantasy booking is Okada wins and challenges both Naito & Omega.  

One Night Only

Okada

Naito

Omega

Wrestle Kingdom: ONO

I hope you're reading this Gedo, because if not, you just made a lot of people's fightin' lists!

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, sevendaughters said:

Dave Meltzer's ratings through Day 11 or 12 are in this thread somewhere. Here's all the matches I have rated 4 or above personally. Obviously you don't know my taste so buyer beware and all. Eagle-eyed readers will note I originally gave Elgin-Omega 4.75.

5 Suzuki-Okada

4.5 Ishii-Nagata, Elgin-Omega, Naito-Ishii, Ishii-Tanahashi

4.25 Kojima-Juice, Ibushi-Naito, Ishii-Ibushi, Ibushi-Tanahashi, EVIL-Okada

4 EVIL-Sanada, Goto-Nagata, Nagata-Tanahashi, Okada-Elgin, Okada-SANADA, Tanahashi-Fale, Nagata-Naito, Goto-Tanahashi, Makabe-Nagata, Ishii-Fale, Naito-Sabre, Kojima-SANADA, YOSHIHASHI-Ibushi

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, maciej said:

I definitely haven't watched every match, but there has been a lot of high quality stuff - favs so far in rough order:

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kota Ibushi, Day 3
Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Day 13
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada, Day 16
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi, Day 1
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Day 5
Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto, Day 3
Juice Robinson vs. SANADA, Day 12
Yuji Nagata vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Day 5
Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Day 11
Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL, Day 14
Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Day 1

Thank you both. I watched Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki since I last posted. I thought it was much better than the February match. I didn't like it as others did. I'd give Okada vs. Suzuki from the G1 Climax 27 either ****3/4 or *****.

in running review of Day 17 from Sumo Hall, have a train to catch in 67 minutes so might not get to see the main evento

Nagata-Fale knew this master-pupil match would be good but getting Nagata superfan Nogami to call it from the heart and then the post-match greatness with the fans and Fale offering the sign of respect was brilliant, Nagata is a treasure, put him in the HOF, this is wrestling clap clap clap.  ***3/4

YOSHIHASHI-Makabe totally fine match that sort of says that Tacos isn't going anywhere upcard soon. ***

Ishii-Sabre Jr. not the world's biggest fan of Zack but he came good here. nice to see Ishii doing a bit of mat wrestling like it was no big thing. they have a strangely excellent chemistry don't they? ****

Goto-Ibushi Kota has wrestled within himself this tournament and he still spits out good to great matches. I think what's frustrating about his decisions about the business is that he could, in our minds at least, be one of the top babyface draws and churn out exciting and visceral matches that please casuals and hardcores. It's a bit frustrating but also his avoidance of the grind keeps him special (like Shibata before he signed full time, remember?) and I mark for his regular moves still. Goto has been a bit tired down the stretch but he woke up here and wrestled desperate and pissed-off, he used his beat-downness well as a contrast to Ibushi's physique and health. I'm waffling. Good match this, kept it relatively short, but everything worked. ****

really need Naito not to take 8 minutes to get to the ring now.

• Like 1

Daryl-kun came out and challenged Naito if he won the G1. Blamed him for his injuries. Said the battle of laziness would begin when he least expected it; then, fell asleep because he's so lazy. He doesn't hate Mondays though and prefers Sashimi to Lasagna.

Really dug the Fale-Nagata deal.  I've enjoyed Nagata and Kojima (?) making their final runs this year as much as I've enjoyed anyone in the tourney.  I kinda wanted a some combination of Nagata/Kojima/Tanahashi in the finals, but, of course, they've all had their days and Tana is the only one likely to get a push at this point.