DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

Everything does indeed appear to be Evil. Also the pic below...was pretty much my expression as well after that finish. Such a fantastic night which opens up a wealth of possibilities for the G1 and beyond. We are all playing checkers while Gedo is playing chess.pQsirXN.png

• Like 1

I'm still amused when people compare Ibushi to Nakamura and act like he's some young up and coming new guy. Meanwhile he's 35 years old and been wrestling for 13 years. Nakamura is 37 and a 15 year vet. Such a dramatic difference.

Kenny/Juice-really fun match and the finish got a great reaction.

Kenny/EVIL- very good match both guys took some heavy knocks before the finish. If its a work, its very well done by EVIL but it looks like Kenny only realises he's out of it when he has him up on his shoulders.

Kenny isn't known for being overly reckless to the point of not caring about the other wrestler, but he does have some offense that you could see injuring someone. I'm shocked the V-Trigger never obliterates someone.

Thing with Taichi for me is I just don't rate his in-ring. I'm not some post-modern cheer-the-heels and boo-the-faces guy. I'll do what the promotion want me to do if the workers are good. Watching and paying is my way of showing approval. Just with Taichi I get this gigantic desire to skip through his stuff. Not bothered about his extra-curricular life and I enjoyed his stupid mime entrance for a spell.

Anyway, instant reaction for day 15 from Hamamatsu

Sabre Jr.-Nagata fancy Dan submissions and cocky strutting vs. earthy ne waza and hard strikes? yes please! One of my favourite transitions to Demon Lock ever and also Nagata's Drive Screw brainbuster is one of my favourite moves in the industry. Nagata remains on fire, Sabre continues to improve in good company. ***3/4

YOSHIHASHI-Ibushi we all know Ibushi could work a good match dancing around a broom, a sex doll, or even you or I, but it really helped rise this match above the ordinary when Tacos started bringing the fire. He seems to have adopted HARASHIMA's Somato (diving double knee) to tremendous effect. When this one goes toe-to-toe with Ibushi trying to nail Kamigoye and Tacos frantically trying anything to stop it...it's pretty good! by giving this **** that means that 17 out of 20 wrestlers have had a 4* or better match with only Yano, Tonga, and Suzuki yet to rack one up.

Fale-Goto with the loser eliminated you'd hope for a tooth and nail scrap but Goto looks like he just needs a long holiday. To be fair this wasn't terrible but long Fale control portions are never going to be super. But it wasn't really what it needed to be, other than short. **3/4

Makabe-Naito worked kind of like a house show main event between a triumphant champion and a plucky challenger. A better match between these two was had at my favourite night of wrestling (G1 24 Day 7) when there was some kind of focus and lack of inevitability. That said Naito is, whisper it quietly, kind of above this. ***1/2

Ishii-Tanahashi two of my favourites going at it so always going to hope for fireworks. while it wasn't as smooth as their Korakuen masterwork from G1 23 (which was worked as Tanahashi going heel because Ishii is no match) it was interesting to see Ishii take portions of the match and have them work 50/50, with Tanahashi working his main event against a credible threat style of match with multiple Dragon Screws and submissions. They use that not as an end in itself but as a way to build to the final third where I am sure they sort of riff on Bret-Austin for a moment or two and maybe teasing broadway and a couple of lesser-spotted moves before offering a good and decisive finish. Definitely in the mix for MOTT for me but I will freely admit to bias. ****1/2

last few days have been great

• Like 2

-Grumpy old man stands tall against marginally disaffected young punk, for the second day in a row, but hey, I like it just as much this time. I do love a good backdrop driver... but I also love a good lariat. Oh well. I'm just really pleased with Kojima and Nagata's performances, since they were at their peaks during my puro infancy.

-Ibushi/Yoshihashi was not a match I expected much of, but they decided to really, really lay everything in, which helped. The sort of work to make you pause and wonder if they actually hate one another, or have some history you've forgotten about. I'm amused that Ibushi's knee finish invokes god--aka Tanahashi, according to Ibushi--in that it reminds me of how Daniel Bryan's knee finish was "the knee that beat John Cena" for ages.

-Naito decided he was taking every possible bump right on his head, which was a little nuts, but did help sell me on Makabe having a chance. He's not gone full Juice with it, but Naito is nursing that shoulder after every match, isn't he?

-He may be higher up the card than in their 2013 encounter, but I was still cheering for Ishii as if he were that plucky underdog. Do it for Ibushi! Alas.

• Like 1

Yes. He has the tiebreaker, so if either Suzuki or Omega beat Okada and Evil wins out, it's possible.

An interesting option would be for SANADA to beat Kenny on Tuesday and with an eliminated Omega getting a win over Okada. He finally gets the big win over Okada but it's too little too late. But I don't think they would want to take the importance out of the Sumo Hall match. 

It's kind of fucked up that Tonga is infinitely better in comedy matches than he is in serious business matches. There's so much more thought put into those it seems. I did enjoy the hectic brawl with Suzuki to give him credit. 

• Like 1

The reaction to Juice's win over Omega was amazing to see - it was so unexpected for Juice to win that it almost felt like nobody knew what had actually happened and was totally confused... until the official announcement, and the place LOST IT.   

I don't mean to be another one of the guys constantly comparing New Japan to WWE and saying New Japan is better, but like I said on Twitter, it's insane to see WWE completely blowing surefire stars left and right, only for New Japan to make two guys in one night, and not hurt their opponents whatsoever in doing so.  Juice's reaction of disbelief and utter joy felt more real than anything WWE has tried this year.

I think I might've finally converted to the other side, guys.  It's pretty awesome over here.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The reaction to Juice's win over Omega was amazing to see - it was so unexpected for Juice to win that it almost felt like nobody knew what had actually happened and was totally confused... until the official announcement, and the place LOST IT.   

I don't mean to be another one of the guys constantly comparing New Japan to WWE and saying New Japan is better, but like I said on Twitter, it's insane to see WWE completely blowing surefire stars left and right, only for New Japan to make two guys in one night, and not hurt their opponents whatsoever in doing so.  Juice's reaction of disbelief and utter joy felt more real than anything WWE has tried this year.

I think I might've finally converted to the other side, guys.  It's pretty awesome over here.

It is totally tranquillo here, my friend. Welcome! ;-)

Liked the Nagata/ZSJ psychology.  Zack takes Nagata down to do his here's-a-million-submissions thing and Nagata matches him with the full Nagata Lock II -> III -> IV combo, Zack gets gunshy about going to the ground after that and the armbar later on and then he's left with no way to win other than stealing a quick cradle. That doesn't happen, backdrop HORUDO, hail Blue Justice. Kid didn't know Nagata had as many holds as him.

• Like 1

That guy has some really great content on his channel.

I learned that ZSJ said the following: "His nickname is the headhunter? Well, guess what. I'm the dickhead hunter and Yoshi-Hashi is one top fucking dickhead." Dickhead hunter... lol.

• Haha 1