DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Watching the Slamboree '97 main event of Greene, Piper, and a returning Flair vs. Syxx, Hall, and Nash in North Carolina. The crowd is JACKED for the hometown boys. You've got two masters of psychology, ultra charismatic Hall, silky smooth Waltman, a willing Nash, and hyped up Kevin Greene. They milk the crowd for just about everything, as they should, with great timing. But once Greene gets going he's not slowing down at all, lol. Just watching this gets me all psyched up. Piper was only 43 here but I remember thinking he was ancient. Fuckin' hell. Got a li'l sloppy near the end but they kept the momentum well enough and had a rare feel good finish with the WCW crew definitively beating the nWo. There should've been more of these nights if WCW couldn't get its head out from its ass. Greene could've been a huge wrestling star had he not been so in love with football. 

• Like 1

Mongo was terrible as always and they WCW up the ending as usual (Jarrett? Yuck) but Greene had a lot of fire. Maybe it's the look but he comes across like a missing Von Erich kid. He also lariats the living shit out of Mongo. RIP

RIP to Dave's mom as well, it looks like she had a full and wonderful life. We should all be so lucky.

• Like 1

RIP Mama Dave ❤️

I just heard about Bob. I’m surprised there isn’t more about this. There might be in the sleaze thread for all I know but in any event we lost a trailblazer in a way.

I just checked the filmography and couldn’t believe how many movies Zeus was actually in that I’ve seen and never noticed, and in period. I loved the guy. I don’t gaf about critics. They only like about 2% of the movies ever made. I marked out like crazy when he appeared in WCW. I wasn’t a fan of that entire turn of events but not because it wasn’t good to see him.

I also loved Slamboree 97 (who remembers that VHS cover lol). Lots of solid wrestling on the undercard and some lighter but still fun stuff like a fresh heel Konnan getting stiffed by the Steiners IIRC. The main event was better than anybody would have guessed. The crowd really was as hot as somebody said. It was Mid-Atlantic in 1986 hot. This all went on even though the whole ppv was just to tide us over until Starrcade, which every ppv was going back even that far to Slamboree. That’s just how big Starrcade was going to be, and it was going to match the hype had WCW not been what somebody also said!

Mongo vs Reggie was pretty good I thought. I think if Mongo didn’t almost kill Regal he would be cut some slack. Nobody complains that Jarrett almost beheaded him that time with the aluminum case, including Mongo IIRC. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RIPPA locked this topic