DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently he'd just become a grandfather a few days ago. ?

I was never an XPW guy but Supreme was REALLY good at the death match style... he understood what worked and brought the psychology along with the hideous bumps. This might be the best match in company history.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Thanks Pete, always meant to watch that. 

Was he the one who got his finger cut off by Rob Black's goons? 

That was Messiah, I think.

My one strong memory of Supreme is him almost dying taking a bump off a ladder in XPW.  RIP for real this time.

Match was pretty good! They timed the spots well, didn't get real stupid with it, punched hard in between. The Oklahoma Stampede from the nails to the tacks was innovative. Of course all the interference was stupid, but what did you expect. Worst part was the horribly racist commentary. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Match was pretty good! They timed the spots well, didn't get real stupid with it, punched hard in between. The Oklahoma Stampede from the nails to the tacks was innovative. Of course all the interference was stupid, but what did you expect. Worst part was the horribly racist commentary. 

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Larry Rivera is the one you're talking about. Kriss Kloss was a horrible imitation of Joey Styles. Which is funny, since when Shane Douglas' Turner contract ended, he went to XPW and became the booker and then they started to run Philly and stuff and Styles was eventually brought in (for one show).

I know it started to turn into a more normal type of indie promotion around late 2002 into 2003, but there was something magically skummy about 1999-2001 XPW. What a weird cast of characters they had in the early years. Homeless Jimmy was amazing in a completely bad way. Pogo the Clown, White Trash Johnny Webb, The Real Deal Damien Steele, Kid Kaos & GQ Money... Damn, this is taking me back. First time I ever saw teams like Mexico's Most Wanted, or someone like Super Dragon, was because of XPW.

I know ECW is the better of the two, but for someone my age who wasn't even in high school by the time ECW died, XPW was the replacement and exposed me to a lot of wrestlers that led me to other places. My first exposure to deathmatches were because of XPW, and then that led me to CZW, which led me to their (horrible) "feud" with Big Japan, which introduced me to the puroresu scene, and then I found out about this dude named Keiji Muoth anddddd yeah. If I had never found that Hardcore Conception VHS tape when my grandpa took me to OnCue in like, 2001 or whatever... who knows, maybe I find indies and japanese wrestling way down the road. Maybe I just stay a WWE fan for way too long. Maybe I grow out of it entirely.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thanks Pete, always meant to watch that. 

Was he the one who got his finger cut off by Rob Black's goons? 

23 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That was Messiah, I think.

My one strong memory of Supreme is him almost dying taking a bump off a ladder in XPW.  RIP for real this time.

Correct, Messiah.

SoCalUncensored has a great write-up about the series of events that led to all of that stuff. It really isn't as simple as "Messiah fucked my wife, let me hire some thugs to cut off his thumbs and dick". That incident was a FULL YEAR later. In between Black finding out and firing him from XPW and Extreme Associates, Messiah went on to work with their rival in SoCal (Gary Yap's Epic Pro Wrestling) and CZW. Then Bapitzed In Blood 3 in the ECW Arena happened, and Messiah and Nick Mondo were there (because XPW papered the fuck out of that show since they wanted a huge crowd). Black was furious that he was there, combined with everything that happened in the year prior, and the fact that the fans absolutely shit all over everything on the show, trashed the ring, attempted to attack Black in the aisle way, etc.... it all just boiled over for Rob Black probably, and in his warped mind likely blamed Messiah on XPW driving away their fans in California (in reality, XPW just pulled a bait and switch one too many times for their fans' liking, combined with Black getting rid of the extremely popular Messiah, and then people like New Jack, Josh Lazie, Nosawa, etc. defected to Epic - some intentionally, others had legit contracts with Yap's company) and for the shitshow they just put on in Philly.

• Thanks 3

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/former-moolah-stable-wrestler-winona-littleheart-passes-away-310666

Winona Barkley, best known under the name Winona Littleheart, a pro wrestler who was part of the Fabulous Moolah's stable from 1977 to 1985, passed away.

She was believed to have been 64 years old. No cause of death has been reported.

The Championship Wrestling from Florida Facebook page first reported her death today, as did the Cauliflower Alley Club.

She was mostly a babyface doing a Native American gimmick with the leather fringe vest and feathers in her hair. During her career she challenged Moolah for her World title and in 1985 on TBS challenged Leilani Kai for the WWF Women's title.

She also was involved in training Wendi Richter.

Later in her career she played a demented heel as The Lock, as part of a tag team of The Lock & Luna (Vachon). She debuted in that role as a childhood friend of Barry Windham who was abducted by Kevin Sullivan doing a Symbionese Liberation Army type of Stockholm syndrome gimmick. 

As The Lock, she wrestled through 1988, including working for David McLane's POWW.

She was the daughter of "Dirty" Dick Barkley, who wrestled some in the Southeast in the late 50s and early 60s.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:34 PM, colonial said:

Didn't realize Supreme and another XPW lifer, Kaos, were uncle and nephew.

Kaos is also one of the trainers of Jake Atlas and Brody King.

• 2 weeks later...

Larry Csnoka passed away yesterday. He wrote great columns and reviews for 411mania. I really enjoyed his work and some of you on here probably did too. He leaves behind a wife and two daughters. His family set up a fundraiser if any of you are interested: https://www.gofundme.com/f/larrymania-living-on-in-his-girls 

larrycsonka7-645x370.jpeg

• Sad 3