DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I never got around to posting this a few weeks ago when the main wrestling thread had that thing about Hogan and when we all first hated a babyface or cheered a heel. 

For me it was Volkoff. One of my earliest memories of watching wrestling, that didn't involve being terrified of King Kong Brody, was getting pissed at the crowd for not letting Nikolai Volkoff sing his fucking national anthem. Dude was feeling the pride and he was in a strange land and he had a lot of pressure on him, I assumed, by a government that might do terrible things to him if he didn't perform well.  He was a man clinging to something that gave him strength and comfort and everyone was shitting on him and I felt a tremendous amount of empathy with him.

I got into literal playground fights defending him and Iron Sheik. Okay one literal playground fight. But still.

I also always felt the same way about Volkoff. I felt more sadness for him than hatred. I was just a kid and didn't really know anything about the Cold War, or why the Soviets were bad guys... It's not like they were Germans. 

Poor Nikolai just wanted to express his love for his motherland. We grew up raising our hands over our hearts every morning and pledging the allegiance to the flag of USA before class... And this grown man who left his own country to try to make a life for himself wasn't being allowed to still be Russian in his new home.

• Like 3

RIP to Brickhouse Brown, Nikolai Volkoff and 2 Sexy Brian Christopher.

I feel especially sad for 2 Sexy.  I think he spent too much time chasing after his dad's legacy and probably would've been much happier doing anything other that pro wrestling for a living.

And, God bless Brickhouse Brown.  How many times can you say that Col. Rob Parker was the sanest man in the room? 

As urban legend has it, Parker was completely against the Watermelon angle face turn that Brickhouse booked for himself, but they went with it anyway and Brown turned from hated heel to the one of the most over baby face in Memphis almost overnight.

Forget where I saw it, but a few years ago Volkoff worked Boris Zhukoff at a Jewish community center somewhere. After Zhukoff cut his standard anti-USA promo, Volkoff grabbed the mic to sing what everyone thought would be the Russian anthem or possibly the SSB... only he sang "Hava Nagila." :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Well, actually it wasn't.  He showed up on RAW three years later on "Old School" reforming Too Cool and beating 3MB.  They also showed up in NXT.

Dammit, I can barely  get the "Meiko Satomura will probably be the final WCW wrestler to make their WWE debut" statistic out of my head, and now you add onto that "Brian Christopher is officially the first NXT wrestler to pass away".

18 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I have been curious, were Jerry and Brian close during the latter years? 

It seemed a little strained, to hear Meltzer tell it.  He mentioned on  last night's show that Jerry had been helping Brian out whenever he fell down (helping with rehab, maybe bail, I surmise, and telling him he'd help him get a job if he'd stay clean for a year).  It sounded like, after this last arrest, Jerry was apparently of the opinion that maybe a jail stay would be the only thing to straighten him out.  I'm not a fan of Lawler but I can't imagine how he feels right now.

• Sad 4

This might not set too well with some of y’all and I could get less than 2 fucks,but I wrestled in USWA with Brian Christoper in 92 and he was a very little disrespectful fucker then,so fuck him and his daddy and for those of you who don’t like my post...fuck you too!!!

It was mainly Twitter where he went off but he said that on his personal facebook

On 7/29/2018 at 11:22 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I also always felt the same way about Volkoff. I felt more sadness for him than hatred. I was just a kid and didn't really know anything about the Cold War, or why the Soviets were bad guys... It's not like they were Germans. 

Poor Nikolai just wanted to express his love for his motherland. We grew up raising our hands over our hearts every morning and pledging the allegiance to the flag of USA before class... And this grown man who left his own country to try to make a life for himself wasn't being allowed to still be Russian in his new home.

I saw some promos Volkoff did in 83/84 Georgia and he had an interesting slant as a heel. He explained that he actually admired things in America like the music, television and movies. But he had no respect for American athletes, whom he deemed cowards for boycotting the Olympics. 

Even as a kid, when I viewed wrestling as a holy war, I thought Nikolai was a friendly guy. I was really happy when he became a good guy. I hope he had a peaceful death. 

• Like 6

I met Brian Christopher briefly in 2012. I was in line at a Crossfire show and he was walking to his car. We shook hands and I mentioned I had just watched him on youtube the night before. He asks if he won and I say he did, he says "All right" and high fives me. 

This is upsetting more than these deaths usually do. Not sure if its because young wrestler deaths have lessened the last few years or the way he died. My faith tells me he is in a better place. But that is little comfort to the people left behind. I hope his family can find some peace right now. 

I did not know Brickhouse Brown was sick. He was an excellent heel in Memphis. I think if he were taller, he would have have had a good run in bigger promotions. 

• Like 2

I think it was his height more than anything. He was a great player in Memphis, you could utilize him anywhere on the card and he was not out of place. Last few years of the eighties, they would move to him when they needed a strong heel. 

31 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart passes away at 63 years old, RIP.

Damn, how is Bret the only surviving Hart Foundation member? All of these guys need to be in the the HOF as a unit and individually (well Anvil with Bret as a tag). Neidhart was the best part of those early Hart Foundation interviews. RIP Anvil, I’m sure he has plenty of people to catch up with.

• Like 5