DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Of all the people in OVW developmental from the Heyman period,  the two people who were considered no brainer superstars at the time was Johnny Jeter and Matt Cappotelli.  They were a really fun white meat babyface team and then Jeter turned heel and had one of the best feuds in the business against Matt.  Even when Matt had a serious leg injury the angle was white hot.   Unfortunately given the incompetency of developmentals at the time, Heyman left and either Matt was diagnosed with cancer or Jeter became Spirit Squad cheerleader first and that was it.  

Hopefully he is remember more for his potential and not the kid from Tough Enough that Bob Holly beat the shit out of.   And tells you the kind of person both Bob and Matt are they became great friends

It is weird how the name Matt Cappotelli always rings a bell, despite never making it big into mainstream wrestling. It might just be sympathetic folklore, but it always seemed from what I read as if he was an up and coming star until cancer struck. 

On 6/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, Ryan said:

He and Jeter had some very good matches for the OVW system and how young they were. RIP, gentle soul.

Good matches nothing- I don't think it's a hot take to say- Jeter vs. Cappotelli is what the Gargano/Ciampa feud would have been if both guys had been homegrown developmental product.

Had Cappotelli not gotten cancer, he probably would have been an amazing babyface in WWE. 

Juan Jose Avila, best known as Chicano Power, passed away on 6/30. Avila was a name wrestler in Mexico from the early 70s until recent years. In the mid-90s, he was part of Los Gringos Locos with Konnan, Eddy Guerrero, Love Machine and Louie Spicolli. In his biggest match ever in the U.S., on December 9, 1995, at the Los Angeles Sports Arena on an AAA show before 4,000 fans, he lost his mask to Tinieblas Jr. He had actually lost the mask previously, in 1975, while working for the UWA promotion.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That sounds like hell to me

It's still by far what he's most famous for in Japan. It was trending on twitter along with him and other things related to his name.

We need to find:

Saito body slams each member of HI in the ishingun vs HI multiman.

The "They call me MR Torture" interview from wcw

When Masa is doing a backstage interview with Vader and bigelow and bam bam gets mad at him for biting his head the night before and Vader has to settle bigelow down.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I can't remember the exact phrase, but when Masa Saito was going to wrestle Johnny B. Badd at Starrcade 1995, Johnny B. Badd entered first, then after he does his usual schtick Dusty Rhodes said something like "well all the pagentry is about to come to an end, because here comes the meanest man in the world." And little kid me was basically like "I have to find out more about this man."