DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

GCW just tweeted out that Danny Havoc died. Ugh. What a year for...everything. 

Looking at his Wikipedia and a fan page's Twitter, it appears Havoc's wife died two months ago from what's being described as an undiagnosed heart issue. She was just 27. 

A GoFundMe drive raised $8500 for Danny and other family members ...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/danny-havoc-fundraiser

On 5/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, Ryan said:

Making fun of someone's shoulder width. What the fucking hell? That has to be more of a cultural thing, but I'm sure there's plenty of equivalents in the US, hell maybe even that.

Japan is a strange place. Mocking someone for any sort of "unusual" physical characteristic is considered acceptable behavior. A friend of mine who was a Thalidomide baby (short, deformed arms) spent some time in Japan and was called to his face "Tyrannosaurus Rex" and "Flipper" by some of the local wits. The same sort of talk that will likely get your face caved in here  in the West is considered the height  of humor in Japan. I don't speak Japanese, but I'm pretty confident in saying that after age slowed him down and he relegated himself to comedy matches the stuff shouted at Giant Baba was hardly complimentary...

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, RolandTHTG said:

How do so many on here not see the blatant hypocracy in bemoaning what lead to Hana's suicide, but there's 18 of you piling on SorceressKnight in the same page?

What a false equivalence.

Bullying a young woman over her appearance is NOT taking umbrage with someone using a suicide to carry on their "fuck the fans" manifesto. Shame on you for even comparing the two. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

What a false equivalence.

Bullying a young woman over her appearance is NOT taking umbrage with someone using a suicide to carry on their "fuck the fans" manifesto. Shame on you for even comparing the two. 

Bullshit.

Plenty of people in that list who are just looking for an excuse to take a cheap shot, and you know it. The cheap shitty "confused" emoji responses are pretty consistent no matter what the topic is.

I don't agree with his narrative on it either, I don't particularly care for it, but if it was any other poster, there wouldn't be that many people piling on. 

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Bullshit.

Plenty of people in that list who are just looking for an excuse to take a cheap shot, and you know it. 

I don't agree with his narrative on it either, I don't particularly care for it, but if it was any other poster, there wouldn't be that many people piling on. 

Sorry, but that poster said SEE I TOLD YOU FUCK THE FANS as their first fucking post here in response to the news. Then someone asked that person to please not use this young lady's suicide as another example in their continuing crusade about the fans. That you are choosing to die on this hill tells me that you lack perspective.

So don't give me that garbage because the only thing that's bullshit is you coming in here and acting self-righteously about that post or any agreement with it. It's clown shit.  

And of course people reacted that way to that poster! Everyone knows their M.O., and it's really distasteful to use Hana's suicide in that way. No one said anything rude or cruel, so get outta here comparing the people in this thread to vicious cyberbullies. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Thanks 4

This thread is about to reopen.   Here's my lone warning to everyone. 

I swear to Christ.  There have been protests blocks from my apartment. A vendor at work is being super shitty. I've lost more than one friend to the coronavirus. New York is under curfew and I'm going to sleep to the sounds of helicopters enforcing the curfew.

So... I. Am. In. No. Mood. 

If you feel the need to be a shit head, just know that your time away will be long, if not permanent.

There's enough bullshit in this world. Don't add to it.

• Like 6

Wow, I hadn't thought of that name in almost 20 years.  He, CRZ, and Cubsfan were the guys whose recaps I always made sure to read when I was getting back into wrestling in the late 90s.

RIP

• Like 1

All the blurbs from the new WON

A name forgotten in time but a legendary figure during the early boom period of South Korean pro wrestling, Cheon Gyu-Doek, passed away this past week at the age of 88. While pro wrestling hit its television peak in the late 70s in South Korea, it had a major first wave of popularity from 1960 to 1967 with Kim Il (Kintaro Oki),Cheon Gyu-Doek and Yeo Geon-Bu as the top stars. The belief is the first boom came when an impoverished country looked to those three man beating up foreigners and dominating countrymen in black & white television matches as sports heroes. Guy-Doek, who was known as the master of the chop, was one of the top stars of both boom periods and apparently had a famous match against a wild bull. The first wave of popularity faded when a brawl ensued in a match when a Japanese heel evidently would not do a job and a match got out of hand and he was attacked by the local South Koreans for real. The scene led to the revelation that match results were predetermined. This was believed to have been around 1965, and the peak ended shortly after that time. There was a second peak in the 70s with Kim Il holding the International title and drawing monster television ratings, but it ended when Il and Guy-Doek got old and had to retire, while Tiger Toguchi worked more in the U.S. since he had moved there and new stars couldn’t replace them. Really, as big as it was, it was so long ago that almost nobody except really older people even remember it. In fact, in the coverage of Guy-Doek’s death, it was that the son of actor Chun Ho-jin who was a famous wrestler decades ago had passed away. Pro wrestling was never really popular in South Korea at any real level after that point in time, but there was an MMA and K-1 boom shortly after Japan with Choi Hong-man and Yoshihiro Akiyama

Florencio Pina who wrestled as Mohawk and Bandido, passed away on 5/21 from cardiac arrest. On May 28, 1993, he was unmasked in a match with Rey Misterio Jr. (the current WWE Rey Mysterio) and then became Mohawk. He also lost a hair match to Black Terry in 2014

Joe Perri, who was a trainer, manager and referee on independent shows in Pennsylvania, passed away on 5/28 due to cancer at the age of 61. Perri started training under Newton Tattrie (Geto Mongol) in the 80s. His life was wrestling as he worked jobs like being a security guard, pizza maker and bus driver that would give him the full weekends off so he could work on independent shows. His son Mike works as a referee under the name Jimmy James. Joe Perri also played figurehead commissioner for area independent Keystone Wrestling and in 2017 was inducted into their Hall of Fame

Another Pittsburgh area independent name, Michael Runco Jr., who worked under the name Michael Blade, passed away on 5/31. He was 48. He had worked for nearly three decades on area independent shows, retiring in 2016. He also competed as a bodybuilder in the area. Runco started in the early 90s, having been trained by Charlie Fulton and was a regular for Steel City Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Express, Far North Wrestling and many other groups in Western Pennsylvania

Steven Lee Perry, a Florida and Georgia referee on independent shows that used the name Star Stevens in wrestling, passed away on 5/25 at the age of 64. He was a regular for the Florida-based IPW promotion

Luis Dasa, a nine-year veteran out of Xalapa, Veracruz, passed away this past week. He was primarily a hardcore wrestler known as Casanova for the DTU promotion

Alejandro Gomez, better known as Dragon Chino II, passed away on 6/2 at the age of 55. He wrestled regularly from 1979 to 1993, and was trained by Blue Panther. He worked some for CMLL and UWA. On Facebook he had written about suffering from symptoms that were said to be similar to a COVID-19 patient but there is at this point no official cause of death

Other names who have passed away this past week according to The Cubs Fans site were Indio Yoko and Cinico, who if it is the Cinico that I’m aware of, would be 36 and has been around since 1995 and was working for The Crash of in 2013 and 2014. Evidently he once worked under the name Exotico Pena as a knock of Antonio Pena.

Hyatte's brand of snark and humor was really appealing to a teenager in the late 90s, especially as the Monday Night Wars started to go off the rails. I'd say he was a big part of my wrestling fandom for a couple of years in high school especially right as I was finding this place and learned to, you know, appreciate Meng and other important things. So the period right before that. Time seemed so much compressed back then, so someone being a daily or weekly read and something you associated with, even for a relatively short period of time, felt hugely important. I haven't thought about that time of my fandom for a while though. You don't really want to look back on 17 two decades later. It's hard to do without cringing too much. Anyway, he sounds like he went out on his terms, given the situation, and was at peace with it.  

• Sad 2

On 6/1/2020 at 1:24 PM, OSJ said:

Japan is a strange place. Mocking someone for any sort of "unusual" physical characteristic is considered acceptable behavior. A friend of mine who was a Thalidomide baby (short, deformed arms) spent some time in Japan and was called to his face "Tyrannosaurus Rex" and "Flipper" by some of the local wits. The same sort of talk that will likely get your face caved in here  in the West is considered the height  of humor in Japan. I don't speak Japanese, but I'm pretty confident in saying that after age slowed him down and he relegated himself to comedy matches the stuff shouted at Giant Baba was hardly complimentary...

While it's true that Japan has a backwards attitudes towards anyone who is different, it is not considered acceptable behavior to make fun of people with disabilities. Nor is the height of humor. There is fear and shame, and discrimination, but it is wrong to suggest there is open mockery of marginalized folks. 

10 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

Bill Apter and Adam Pearce are reporting that "Rubberman" Johnny Walker, aka Mr. Wrestling II has died at the age of 85

NWA has confirmed