DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

I'll stay up and ramble a bit. This one is hitting hard. Too many parallels to people I've been close to for it to not land with impact.

Wasn't really watching Stardom, but I began watching Terrace House after learning that someone from the puroresu community was joining the cast. I started watching by myself, but my partner got hooked on the show too. I started trying to track down Stardom matches shortly after.

Hana's potential, as alluded to above, is the crux of the matter. To watch her work, plus seeing her on Terrace House...was a complex picture. As a wrestler, she was one of the rare few where it felt like the pro wrestling world could be her oyster. She could've gone anywhere she wanted with it. But - and as unreliable a vehicle for the truth as reality television is - it seemed perhaps the confidence Hana displayed in the ring did not translate to life outside of it. This is all too familiar to me, and the fact that she was probably struggling for a while with this hits home.

About this being the result of cyberbullying, internet culture: it's just so troubling that we've created a worldwide culture where the negative, hurtful voices are allowed to run rampant over the loving and ascendant.

The thing that will stick with me is what my partner said to me after getting home from work and learning that Hana was in distress (all the news we had at the time...) due to online harassment: "It's a shame that this poor young woman is so hurt by this, and can't possibly conceive of the fact that there are two people in a small Midwestern city in America who are deeply concerned for her." 

We are all connected, and yet all the more separated for it.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 8

Just before I went to sleep last night, I saw a series of tweets where people were commenting on a bunch of tweets from her that had since been deleted, but I didn't expect to wake up to this. She had so much potential and so many people are tweeting about what a nice person she was. Really tragic.

Kairi Sane's tweet is heartbreaking

I was able to notice her tweet right away because it was afternoon in the United States by the time difference (midnight in Japan time) and I called Jungle Screamer and Rossi Ogawa with Io immediately.
Kyona went with all her might.
However…
I didn't make it in time
  • Sad 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

This just hurts down to the depth of my soul.

She was so young. It's just hard to put into words how cruel and unfair life is when someone so young feels like they can't be a part of it anymore.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

What a tragedy.  Hana was a beautiful young woman and she was finally putting it all together only to take herself away from us.  Stef and Mr. Brody King's words are particularly eloquent.

This one hurts a lot because she was 22 years old and only five years older than my own daughter.  Legally she was an adult, but Hana was someone's baby, too.   I can't imagine what Kyoko must be going through and from one parent to another, I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.  My heart is broken for Kyoko.  It is a terrible to see something like this happen to your child.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

There will be moments in my future where I am cycling through matches, on whatever device we're watching them on in 10 or 20 years, and every one of them is going to seem boring. I'll wonder why. It'll be because I'm not watching the Hana match I was supposed to be watching.

Disgusting. My heart breaks for Kyoko.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

I'm not up with the Joshi scene, but I am up with the scene at this board, and she's been a presence here. Even indirectly, through pics and gifs, it was obvious that she could well have been a once-in-a-generation talent. This is horrific, and I'm sorry for all of you that had your weeks and months brightened by her, especially in this time of crisis and uncertainty. 

• Like 2

I think Hana was 8 the first time I saw her wrestle, when she beat her mom for the DDT Ironman belt.  This wasn't that fucking long ago.

Such a fucking shitty series of events.  I hope her mom is doing alright.  She can't be, but fuck.  I can't even imagine.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I really feel for Kairi and other peers of hers who were helpless to intervene, and are still in many cases stuck in lockdown scattered across the world

Apparently she and Io actually contacted Rossy Ogawa and Kyona yesterday afternoon/midnight in Japan to have them check on Hana, but they didn't make it in time. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I don't know where to put this sad feeling and I can't find the words to say ... I remember when Hana was still a little girl, she always came to the venue with her grandmother.

I imagine a lot of the people from the joshi scene from the early 2000s to now are broken up like Asuka. Many would have met Hana through Kyoko. A former Stardom/JWP wrestler even used to play with her in JWP's dojo when she was young.

This is the first death since I think Owen that has really shook me like this. And I don't mean that to take away the meaning and impact of those that have passed in between those two. It's just that neither seemed real at the time and both feel like the wrestling world was altered significantly, and obviously for the worse.

I am utterly depressed and can't not think about this. Such a meaningless waste of potential and from what we thought and are seeing confirmed by those that knew her an amazing human being who was still very much putting things together. But what she had put together was so great. I'm fucked up by this. 

Kyoko is known for her incredible toughness but no mother should have to face this. A tremendous light of neon colours was extinguished from the wrestling world and it is going to seem a lot darker and less vibrant for a long, long time. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is the first death since I think Owen that has really shook me like this. And I don't mean that to take away the meaning and impact of those that have passed in between those two. It's just that neither seemed real at the time and both feel like the wrestling world was altered significantly, and obviously for the worse.

I know how you feel. I haven't felt like this from a death in wrestling since Eddie.

• Like 1

It's taken me a while to process this but I still can't wrap my head around how this young woman who had the world in her hands isn't with us anymore. I'm not on social media and I was unaware she was on a reality show. I don't follow much Joshi, but the one thing I did know, is Hana had "IT"! 

She had a certain glow about her that you knew she was going to be HUGE! Her potential was limitless.... And for her to be gone at 22 is just unbearable. I feel for her family, her friends and coworkers, her fans, and the wrestling community as a whole. Fuck.

• Like 3

Hana's passing is starting to get some play on major news web sites …. saw obits on BBC, Fox News, ESPN and BuzzFeed.

As the parent of an eight-year-old, you can only do so much to protect your child from bullying -- I talked to my daughter just a few days ago about why it's wrong to be mean-spirited to anyone. Part of me fears watching her grow up, seeing her exposed to more and more media, more and more anger, the friends she connects with, etc. 

I know very little about Hana -- just what people posted about her before her passing and, like others, had no clue she was on a Japanese reality show -- but I feel absolutely horrible about her passing, and it only makes me work stronger to protect my child.

• Like 5

Still reeling from this as well, couldn't believe it, this sucks. She was so great and always seemed to have such a fun loving personality.  Came off like a star in everything, even the Stardom DLC in Fire Pro, I love her character/moveset and all the voice samples. Hana was a joy to watch and will be missed terribly.

13 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you wonder why I blame the fans...unfortunately, this will go down as Exhibit A.  There is no excuse- no "but it was REALLY the big mean promoters who did it", no "but the customer is always right!", nothing around it. 

Dude, next time you get in an argument on here about WWE booking or whatever, please DON'T bring up Hana Kimura's suicide.

• Thanks 15