DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Aoki's death is so sad. Such an incredible talent, and a really nice guy. I became friends with Aoki on his UK excursion back in the NOAH days, to the extent that the NOAH crew filmed us saying goodbye to each other on the last show.

I went to the Champions Carnival final in 2015, years later. Aoki saw me, and called me over to the merch table to chat to myself and my wife (who is Japanese, but has little interest in wrestling).

So shocked to read of the news of his sudden death this morning. Was only recently speaking to someone on Facebook about how good it was to have become friends with him during his tour. Such a tragic end to a talented and lovely guy

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, For Great Justice said:

Savage and Eddy fit this mold for me. The truest five tool pro wrestlers. Face, heel, talking, bumping, brawling, flying, grappling. 

I have nothing to add, as I agree pretty universally with this opinion, but I like that your 5 tool list has 7 entries.

I think its just using the baseball term five tool as a reference point, not indicative of how many there are. An All-Arounder type of athlete/wrestler/leather pants salesperson.

I am quite aware of the reference, it just tickles me that it's a list of 7. If you lose the face / heel part of the list, I feel like those would be a pretty good representation of the tools needed for the sport of pro wrestling. I'd love to see someone doing 20-80 scales for wrestlers in these 5 categories.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Meltzer is reporting that former U.S. karate champion Willie Williams died last week at 68.

Williams had two different style fights with Antonio Inoki in 1980 and 1997.  Also worked shows for FMW in 1999 and 2000. 

• 2 weeks later...

By Mike Johnson on 2019-07-02 13:42:00
Jacques Rougeau Sr, father of Raymond, Jacques, and Armand Rougeau and brother of the late Johnny Rougeau, passed away on 7/1 at the age of 89 following a battle with pulmonary fibrosis. 

Jacques debuted as a pro wrestler 1955, but quit after less than a year since it was not paying enough. He came back when his brother Johnny opened a wrestling office in Montreal titled All-Star Wrestling and wrestled for the next decade. Aside from Montreal and the province of Quebec, he also wrestled for the NWF in Buffalo and for New Japan Pro Wrestling. 

Although he had retired in 1984, he was also physically involved in the feud between the Garvins and the Rougeaus in Montreal in 1985, which was the hottest feud of its time in that territory.   He also wrestled once in 1999 for his son Jacques’ promotion in Montreal, teaming with Jacques and Raymond. 

Rougeau's daughter Joanne was also involved in pro wrestling as she was the local promoter for the WWF in the province of Quebec in the late 1990s. 

At the time of his passing, Rougeau was living in Rawdon, Quebec where he had resided since his retirement.   

Rougeau is survived by his wife, Louise, his 5 children, many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

The Rougeau family issued the following:

Rawdon, July 2, 2019

Official Press Release of the rougeau family

It is with sadness and a lot of sorrow that we announce the death of Mr Jacques Rougeau, yesterday, on July 1, 2019, at the age of 89 He has been fighting for a while with pulmonary fibrosis, but he is still part gently, surrounded by his family that he loved so much.

This love is also shared with the public, while he has been a professional wrestler for many years. In the company of his brother Jean, he made the rain and the good weather in the four corners of Quebec, particularly in the 60 s and 70. S who don't remember his battles with the sheik, Abdullah the butcher, Hans Schmidt or Maurice Vachon?

He has been part of the Quebec landscape for several years and it was important for us to share the news with all those who followed him, appreciated and loved in his public career. He has worn a name that resonates so much in this middle and mainly in Quebec that these three sons, Raymond, Jacques and Armand, one of his daughters, Joanne, as well as three of his grandson walked in his steps, working all in The middle of the struggle at one time or another.

But if for you he was a popular wrestler, for us, he was a husband, a father, a grandfather and a great and esteemed great-grandfather. He was the quiet force of our family and his departure is and will be very painful.

Media friends and fans of wrestling, we thank you for the love you have given him over the years and be assured that this feeling was shared.

The Rougeau family

Everyone at PWInsider.com sends our deepest condolences to the Rougueau family.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, Curt McGirt said:

How THE FUCK do you support three kids and a wife just working the indies?!?!

IIRC both Eric Chapel (Martin Easton) and Ken Fuqua (Ken Dixon) were both tradesmen for their day jobs.  Fuqua is an electrician, but I am not sure what Chapel did for a living.  I want to say that he was either a plumber or a carpenter, but don't get me to telling lies.

I considered whether or not to post this, so if it miffs anyone I'll take it down but re: Lionheart:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/4391940/adrian-lionheart-mccallum-death-fire/

McCallum, of Ayr, heard his trapped neighbour’s screams as the inferno tore through her home.

He caught her boyfriend Alistair Innes, 22, as he leapt to safety from the first floor – then tried in vain to smash down the front door to get to Natalie.

At the time, he said: “As I ran to the house, the living room window exploded. A boy was hanging out the top window so I yelled at him to jump.

“I caught him as he came down and then I tried to break down the door. But the heat was too much. I could hear the poor girl screaming. I tried everything.”

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Sad 1

Holy crap, I didn't know about that.  I can see how that would really affect somebody but wish he got help.  Or maybe he tried and it was still too much.  Either way it's just a really sad situation.

• 3 weeks later...