DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Fuck. Another New Jersey wrestling icon gone. It's rather creepy that I just suggested a few days ago for Bundy to be elected into the WWE HoF since WM is in Jersey and Bundy didn't fly, so do it while he's still alive. 

Rest in Peace, King Kong Bundy

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Evil never dies...

Yeah I am totally going to a nonexistent Hell for writing that

EDIT: At the same time I think Jake would laugh his ass off at that. And RIP Bundy. Now I'm thinking of all the funny shit Heenan wrote about him in his book, calling him "Shamu", etc.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Always got a kick out of Monsoon calling Bundy "the condominium with legs."

His first WWF run was quite enjoyable. Watching him destroy Hogan on SNME to set up the WM2 cage match was probably the first time a lot of people saw Hogan vulnerable as WWF champ. He was the perfect counterpoint to Hogan's All-American face -- a nasty, egotistical bully who loved to pick on the little guy. Nothing complicated about that -- just your classic heel vs. face dynamic that worked.

And Bundy could sell a computer like a champ ....

• Like 3

Bundy is one of those guys you were shocked was still alive. 1) Because of him being a big dude, and 2) he looked a lot older than he actually was.

Edit: Also people will bring up Married With Children a lot, but let’s not forget the underrated Richard Pryor film Moving.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, colonial said:

Always got a kick out of Monsoon calling Bundy "the condominium with legs."

His first WWF run was quite enjoyable. Watching him destroy Hogan on SNME to set up the WM2 cage match was probably the first time a lot of people saw Hogan vulnerable as WWF champ. He was the perfect counterpoint to Hogan's All-American face -- a nasty, egotistical bully who loved to pick on the little guy. Nothing complicated about that -- just your classic heel vs. face dynamic that worked.

And Bundy could sell a computer like a champ ....

I liked it when the Insane Clown Posse said he looked like a giant penis wrapped in a broken black condom

• Like 1

Aw, man that sucks.  I'll have to watch the WM2 main and the key points leading up to it.  But he was such an awesome big dude that was a great foil for Hogan.

And he was advertising yesterday that he'd be facing Al Snow at Wrestlecon which surprised me as I wouldn't think he could have done much.  But that's some pretty bad timing.  But the talk of him against Bam Bam makes me wonder if they ever faced each other.  Will have to look that up.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Aw, man that sucks.  I'll have to watch the WM2 main and the key points leading up to it.  But he was such an awesome big dude that was a great foil for Hogan.

And he was advertising yesterday that he'd be facing Al Snow at Wrestlecon which surprised me as I wouldn't think he could have done much.  But that's some pretty bad timing.  But the talk of him against Bam Bam makes me wonder if they ever faced each other.  Will have to look that up.

Looking at the poster, I think Bundy meant he would be sharing a booth with Snow to sign autographs at Wrestlecon. He was also scheduled to sign at an "80s Wrestling Convention" in New Jersey next month.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, colonial said:

Looking at the poster, I think Bundy meant he would be sharing a booth with Snow to sign autographs at Wrestlecon. He was also scheduled to sign at an "80s Wrestling Convention" in New Jersey next month.

And that's what I get for kind of paying attention to Twitter while watching something else.  Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

They faced each other quite a bit. They were also both in the Million Dollar Corporation together and were the survivors in their 1994 Survivor Series match (Guts & Glory vs. Million Dollar Team).

• Thanks 2

I was at some indie show in 1996 in Pennsylvania somewhere and Bundy was on the show. I was working on making a fanzine at the time. I worked my way backstage and interviews Bundy. During the interview, he said he had Andre The Giant’s last match, and it resulted in his death. (I also interviewed “Iron” Mike Sharpe about what he put in his arm brace over the years.)

My brother also had a great run-in with Bundy. He was starting out his comedy career. There was some North Jersey promotion doing a show at Seton Hall. A good friend of ours was involved in the show somehow. My brother convinced him to let him be a manager. The match he managed was a great fiasco. The dude my brother managed had a panic attack before the match. My brother missed his cue to hit the face with his obviously plastic cane. They had a pull apart brawl after and my brother got whipped into the table that was on its end to serve as a locker room barrier. It fell over upon impact and nearly his King King Bundy who then yelled at my brother. The show ended when Bundy did a back bump in his match and it set off the fire alarm.

Great wrestler for his role. 

• Like 1

Nice little write up on Bundy

https://deadspin.com/king-kong-bundy-was-the-biggest-of-the-bad-1833064373

My alone time with Bundy was ended when reigning IPWA champion Tom Brandi, his soon-to-be opponent in the night’s feature match, came into the locker room to ask Bundy if he could have one of his old action figures. Bundy had brought along a box of the dolls in his likeness, which came in regular or blood-splattered versions, to sell for $10 apiece. Bundy seemed touched by Brandi’s request, and gave him a blood-splattered version for free.

“You take care of that, now,” Bundy told the champ. “That’s a limited-edition doll. Limited to how many I can sell!”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I feel like my teen years has been gutted since the It Comes In Threes people that have been taken from us over the past few days are Luke Perry, Keith Flint from The Prodigy, and King Kong Bundy.

I was always a mark for Bundy's insistence on five count pinfalls.  It was such a badass gimmick.

RIP

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Bundy is a tough one for me. One of his brothers taught P.E. in my elementary school district.

He was a big guy (not as heavy as Bundy), big voice, big personality. I was in kindergarten when WrestleMania 2 happened, and don’t remember quite that far back. But I do remember that for the rest of my time up through 6th grade, he never let go of Hulk Hogan beating his brother in the cage. Anytime someone tried to talk wrestling in gym class, he’d launch into a promo, trashing Hulkamania and shilling for Bundy. It’s one of my favorite memories from that school.

I teach elementary school now, and often cut heel promos on my kids when they mention John Cena at recess. They love it.

• Like 10

Kurt Beyer

It is with a very heavy heart to let you know that Dad -- aka The Destroyer, aka Doctor X, aka Dick Beyer, aka Coach -- passed away shortly past Noon today. He was in bed at home, and was surrounded by all of his children and wife as he slipped peacefully away. I will have more to share later, but wanted you to hear this sad news from me first. Thoughts and prayers are most welcome at this time. Peace. (The Destroyer - Honoring A Wrestling Legend! The Destroyer (wrestler))

• Sad 2