DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

4512.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=form

Guatemala City, Guatemala Wrestlers and relatives carry the coffin of the 18-year-old wrestler Laisha Cameros, known as La Hija del Zorro (the daughter of Zorro), who was shot dead two days ago. Cameros was a victim of an armed attack in the Limón neighbourhood, where gangs operate.
Photograph: Johan Ordóñez/AFP/Getty Images
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

It’s being reported, but I haven’t seen it confirmed yet that Pedro Morales passed away.

It's coming from Hugo Savinovich so I would say its legit

• Thanks 1

RIP Pedro Morales. I’m half Puerto Rican and I remember my uncle who grew up in New York City in the 70s would always tell me stories about going to the Garden and seeing Bruno and Pedro. He joked about going to Italian pizzerias and seeing the same 3 pictures; the Pope, Frank Sinatra and Bruno Sammartino. But if you went to a Spanish restaurant or bodega, you’d see Pedro Morales.

• Like 7

Morales vs Mulligan from the Network is an fun little minimalist match with huge heat. Memphis in Manhattan which is why Phil has no use for it. Watch Morales vs Fuji to see Fuji as a stooging bump machine. I believe that there are a bunch of pretty good early 70s matches (and ones from PR) we just don't have. Kelly from Titans of Wrestling could identify the best Pedro stuff we do have though.

I think the series Pedro had in the early 80s with Magnificent Muraco over the IC Title made for some damn fun matches, even if it is primarily because Muraco bumps big like a pinball for him.

The little I have seen out there of his World Title run seems passable, but the primary problem with doing an assessment of Pedro through available footage is that theres not much from his glory days WWWF run, and he spent the rest of the 70s elsewhere, and once the Muraco series is over he breaks down pretty quickly and his JTTS run in 85/86 is fairly atrocious. 

EDIT: I also second doing a watch of the Mulligan title defense, though admittedly Pedro plays third banana next to the performance of Mulligan and the rabid, almost riotous MSG crowd.

I love and respect Pedro Morales, but that IC Title feud between him and Don Muraco was all about Don being able to carry a broom to a five start match and generate molten heat at will.

Even so, RIP Pedro. :(

Given my age, I can only recall the later years of Pedro's career, but I do have a few memories ....

-- The first WWF event I ever attended was a 1987 Superstars taping at the Meadowlands that featured the start of the Andre turn. One of the matches that got the loudest reaction from the crowd was Pedro/Tito Santana vs. Iron Shiek/Nikolai Volkoff. I was 12 at the time, so I didn't understand until later how popular Pedro and Tito were to Latino wrestling fans in the NYC area. You could argue the two got the loudest ovations after Hogan and Steamboat. It wasn't much of a match (Tito was working his tail off while the others went through the motions), but the match ended when Slick interfered for the DQ. The babyfaces then go after Slick, ending with Tito bodyslamming him in the ring to the roar of the crowd (seriously, the fans went nuts for this, and Slick sold the slam like a pro).

-- I went to college at George Washington in DC. The men's basketball team had an out-of-conference home game against UNC-Charlotte. I helped out at the campus newspaper and radio station at the time, so I got access to the opposing team's media guides a few days before each game. Flipping through the UNC-Charlotte guide, I came upon a photo of a 6'10" freshman named Pedro Morales Jr. The first thing mentioned in the "personals" section of his bio was that he was the "son of pro wrestling great Pedro Morales". It also mentioned that the Morales family called New Jersey home, so part of me was hoping I could meet Pedro Sr. before tipoff and get an autograph and picture with him. Alas, Pedro Jr. was on the injured list and did not travel to DC.

-- In my neighborhood growing up, Pedro was nicknamed "Orange Tights" because he wore those same orange trunks seemingly forever. :)

RIP Pedro.

• Like 1

I remember going to the Garden to see Pedro challenge Savage for the IC strap. I was convinced for some reason Pedro was going ot take the belt because no one would see it coming. It was a fun match, crowd was into Pedro big time so whjen hewon by DQ people went home happy. I was bummed there wasn't a return match the next month

James

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Whoa, what?  I'm sure this'll be discussed in the TV section but holy shit that sucks.

It's in the In Memorium thread there. He had a major stroke last week (I think it was the morning after the 90210 reboot was announced)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's in the In Memorium thread there. He had a major stroke last week (I think it was the morning after the 90210 reboot was announced)

Yeah, I went straight over there after posting this and sure enough people were talking about it.  I heard it was a major stroke but to go out like that at 52 was rather shocking to find out.  I just assumed he'd make a slow recovery and be fine at the end of it all.

• Like 1

Aww, man - RIP KKBundy. Super effective big heel and cemented Hulkamania as a thing. I had a roommate who confided in me that he a fear of Bundy, so when my pal was tripping on the LSD acid, I would take a couple Apter mag foldout posters of Bundy and secrete them into his double LPs of Hot Tuna and Grateful Dead. Quite amusing (for me) (sorry, Whitney). I hate when this thread gets bumped...

- RAF

s-l300.jpg

One of them was this poster (cropped at source)

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
found an illustrative pic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1