DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/12/6/18129352/larry-the-axe-hennig-dead-age-82-wwe

I started watching wrestling in the mid-70's, the AWA.  Hennig, (my auto-correct has now tried twice to spell it Henning.  No, dumbass, it's HENNIG!), was always at the front and center.  Face or heel, he always put on a great show.  Then his son came and out-shined the OTHER well-known son on the show, (Greg Gagne) and went on to greater Perfect things.

There was a bar I used to bounce at that he was really good friends with the owner.  Larry came in with him one time.  I was sitting with my gf at the time and some friends.  They all noticed this huge guy walking in, and I explained who it was.  He was sitting with the owner, who knew I was a big fan.  I walked over and he introduced me to Larry.  Shook his meat hook, told him what I fan I was, same of his son, whom I had also met a couple times.  (Curt was a big time fan of this country band I used to work with in the mid 90's.  He and Animal would come out all the time to watch us.  Wore OUR merch, too!)  We bs'ed for a couple minutes, wished him the best, went and sat down.

My gf at that time would put up with my wrasslin' and sometimes watch with me.  She had an idea about the industry.  She immediately got up and went and introduced herself.  Said her condolences on his son, blahblahblah, then said:  "I was wondering if you could do a favor for me?"

Larry:  "Sure!  What is it?"

Gf:  "Would you piledrive me?"

Larry:  blanklook..........  LAUGHS HIS ASS OFF!

Gf:  "I thought so."  walks back to table.

I've always loved that story.

RIP, Mr. Hennig.  Tell Curt hi.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimBob Skeeter said:

(Curt was a big time fan of this country band I used to work with in the mid 90's.  He and Animal would come out all the time to watch us.  Wore OUR merch, too!)

So this is clearly the West Texas Rednecks, right?

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, odessasteps said:

I think my first memory of The Ax is saving Curt from the Road Warriors when his head caught in the ropes.

Hennings vs. Roar Warriors is still a classic AWA match.

TBH, I was surprised to hear about the Axe's passing this week because I thought he was already dead.

Rene Lassartesse (real name Edouard Probt), passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Lassartesses would have been among the oldest living pro wrestlers. He was from Switzerland and was a regular in Europe from 1953 to 1986, won several tournaments and wrestled major stars like Antonio Inoki, Andre the Giant, Leon White, Otto Wanz, Horst Hoffman and many of the there biggest stars. He also trained Franz Schumann, Karsten Kretschmer, Eddy Steinblock, Mile Zrno, Robby Brookside and Bobby Gaetano. (thanks to Markus Gronemann)

I will mention this hear due to the wrestling connection

Former All-Pro Bill Fralic has passed away that the age of 56 due to cancer

Fralic was one of the players in the WrestleMania 2 Battle Royal. He also was one of the folks who tried to bodyslam Yokozuna

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will mention this hear due to the wrestling connection

Former All-Pro Bill Fralic has passed away that the age of 56 due to cancer

Fralic was one of the players in the WrestleMania 2 Battle Royal. He also was one of the folks who tried to bodyslam Yokozuna

That’s a bummer he was one of the best that ever suited up for Pitt.

Fralic as a cocky yinzer heel would have been money. 

Raul Mata died. I wish that I could find video of him as the giant killer in LA against Ernie Ladd. He was big in EMLL, Olympic Auditorium. Then later was just a guy in Florida who would pop up on TV, and I would be confused. I really liked the Olympic shows on mi canal favorito (Canal 41) de Spanish International Network.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Pete said:

That was a much stronger write-up than I expected... then again, Meltz would've remembered his salad days in California.

I was moderately surprised how much space it got in the Observer this week, until I realized he was someone Dave saw a lot. 

Michael LaMarche passed away this morning at 71. Better known as Mike "Justice" Dubois and far better known under the nom de guerre of Alexis Smirnoff, where he enjoyed multiple title runs including a brief IWE World championship reign in Japan. As usual, Canoe has a nice obit on their Canadian brethren.

Bobby “Hurricane” Hunt, a regular Pittsburgh prelim wrestler who worked regularly on television and around the circuit from 1963 to 1971, passed away. He was introduced on television as “High Flying Bobby “Hurricane” Hunt, 218 pounds from the Beltzhoover section of Pittsburgh. He was a regular enhancement wrestler on Studio Wrestling, as well as at shows at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena and even Forbes Field. He was best known for his ability to do a series of dropkicks. Hunt disappeared from wrestling in 1971, but did a few WWF matches in 1982 in the Pittsburgh area. His biggest push came on shows on February 11, 1966 and March 4, 1966, when he challenged Johnny DeFazio for the WWWF world junior heavyweight championship, which sounds bigger than it was since DeFazio didn’t wrestle in most WWWF cities and it was really just a belt used on Western Pennsylvania shows

• Sad 1

Independent wrestler Rex Bacchus has unfortunately lost his fight with cancer this morning around 5/6am. Rex started training training at the Team Vision Dojo at the beginning of 2015 and took right to the sport in all aspects.   Rex debuted on April 25, 2015 for I Believe in Wrestling at the Central Florida Fairgrounds during the Earthday Birthday event first losing a #1 contender's battle royal with Jody Kristofferson as the winner and later a rookie battle royal won by his Dreamboats tag team partner Ace Andrews.

He was one of the hardest workers inside and outside of the ring. Rex has been battling with cancer for sometime now. Things looked good when it went into remission but the cancer came back. He had been fighting and multiple benefit shows we're going on to help him.

Last month, Rex wrestled last match in the main event of a benefit event and beat "Cancer" in a Death Match. Unfortunately, he lost the last fight but was in a comfortable place in his home with loved ones. 

In his 3 1/2 years in the ring, Rex wrestled more than 200 matches, won multiple championships, and recently appeared wrestling on MLW. You will be missed greatly and always very much loved.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, RIPPA said:

Bobby “Hurricane” Hunt, a regular Pittsburgh prelim wrestler who worked regularly on television and around the circuit from 1963 to 1971, passed away. He was introduced on television as “High Flying Bobby “Hurricane” Hunt, 218 pounds from the Beltzhoover section of Pittsburgh. He was a regular enhancement wrestler on Studio Wrestling, as well as at shows at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena and even Forbes Field. He was best known for his ability to do a series of dropkicks. Hunt disappeared from wrestling in 1971, but did a few WWF matches in 1982 in the Pittsburgh area. His biggest push came on shows on February 11, 1966 and March 4, 1966, when he challenged Johnny DeFazio for the WWWF world junior heavyweight championship, which sounds bigger than it was since DeFazio didn’t wrestle in most WWWF cities and it was really just a belt used on Western Pennsylvania shows

He was also one of the first Black pro wrestlers to get his own write up in Ebony Magazine in 1965.

hunt.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...