DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

My other favourite Neidhart story is that he was accused of punching a female flight attendant (Neidhart swore he never touched her), Vince believed him and used his lawyer to counter-sue, Anvil won $380,000 and never paid Vince back.  Legendary 

• Like 4

The first Wrestling show I ever went to, the main event was a ten-man tag with Brookside & Dean on the babyface team, and Satoshi Kojima (billed as Japan's Mean Machine) was one of the heels. Can't remember who else was in it though. Doc Dean was a fantastic Wrestler.

If you watch that match and don't like it, fuck it.  You're banned from the board.  I'm not even a mod but you're fucking dead to me if you don't like that masterpiece of a match.

RIP to a great man that I truly admired.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

To get it out of the way

My DVDVR 120 review at the time:

MASCARA CONTRA MASCARA, A UNA CAIDA:  VILLANO III vs. ATLANTIS: 
This is the match the Empresa built to for something like 18 months, and the crowd is about as stoked as you might expect... the heat is at a fever pitch before the festivities even start, as Atlantis wants no part of Babe Richard reffing this match.  They go back and forth for several minutes before commissioner Felipe Ham Lee and V-3 himself convince Richard to leave and Rafael El Maya comes out to officiate instead.  First few minutes consist of straight matwork... then V-3 says "fuck it," shreds Atlantis' mask, clotheslines him to the floor and hits him with a Tope Suicida '36!  Their heads collide on the spot and both guys whip out the blade for full effect, Atlantis to the point where the ring doctor hustles down from the back and teases stopping the match due to Atlantis' hideous bloodloss.  Both guys brawl away on the apron until Atlantis tries to suplex V-3 in, but V-3 rolls him up for the first near-fall and the crowd is already screaming since it's a one-fall match.  Atlantis' face is already a gruesome mess 5 minutes in as V-3 starts to dominate the affair with various submission holds including a tripped-out abdominal stretch/ hammerlock combo; he then drops down into a pinning move, and you can hear the individual shrieks in the crowd as Maya counts 2 before Atlantis slips out.  V-3 follows with a MutaLock before Atlantis slips out and rolls him up for 2, but the crowd reactions are interesting in that there's lots more people booing Atlantis than you might expect.  Before long the match is going back and forth with endless near-falls on both sides, and the crowd is at a froth; there's this great shot of Zumbido, O'Borman and Shocker (w/lady friend =P~) watching things from the back while the two maestros go at it in-ring.  Atlantis starts to get the better of things as he ejects V-3, fakes a tope, climbs up top and blasts V-3 with a huge plancha, which can't have been pleasant on those knees of his.  In-ring, Atlantis tries for a clothesline but V-3 grabs the arm and slaps on a TEXTBOOK octopus hold.  Atlantis slips out and slaps on this weird pinning combo that V-3 is doing the Death Struggle to bridge out of, and instantly a huge "Villano, Villano" chant breaks out.  V-3 finally rolls through for a near-fall.  He whips Atlantis to the ropes and ducks, but Atlantis slips behind him and slaps on a reverse Gorry Special.  It looks like the end for V-3 until he raises himself up, spins around and hits a sunset flip for 2, and the crowd is at an absolute fever pitch that even the gawd-awful Televisa sound mix can't hide.  V-3 tries to slap El Christo onto Atlantis, who reverses it into a tricky pin for 2.  V-3 breaks away and charges Atlantis... who catches him in the Atlantida, his spinning Torture Rack, to a to a huge pop.  V-3 fights and fights then finally slips out to a collective gasp of relief from the crowd.  V-3 hits an enzuilariato on Atlantis and celebrates, but Atlantis comes back with a dropkick to V-3's back.  V-3 makes the cardinal mistake of charging Atlantis a second time; Atlantis gets him in the Atlantida again, and this time drops to his knees to add pressure to the back of V-3, who finally submits to a  H U M O N G O U S  pop from the crowd.  What follows may be the most emotional unmasking in the history of lucha libre.  Surely the rubes on RSPW will have a good laugh reading this (provided the DVDVRs still get posted there), and they can laugh all they want.  But as I sat there watching V-3- noble in defeat, his son in his arms, his teary-eyed father Rey Mendoza unlacing the famous mask, his second Scorpio Jr hugging Villanos 4 and 5, then applauding Atlantis' victory- I'm not ashamed to admit that I was starting to cry myself.

Too bad this is all fake, right?  Jim Rome can kiss my ass.  Vince Russo can blow me, and he's gonna need that gig after burning his bridges everywhere else he's gone.  VIVA WRESTLING.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

#24 on the '80s Lucha set

If the date is wrong this could be #21; even so the two of them matching up according to the set on 12/7/84 was #21 so I imagine an earlier iteration is just as good. 

...then his next and only other appearance on the set is way down at #48 against Perro Aguayo (which may be the Japanese match on Youtube that you can go look up if you want). What a tragedy that he only has three fucking matches out of a hundred. 

Descanse en Paz, Maestro.

I wasn't much of a fan of lucha libre until I saw Villano III/Atlantis. One of the greatest matches I've ever seen. I had no idea who Atlantis was when I first saw it and only knew Villano from WCW Saturday Night but I was so emotionally invested in that match. It was irresistibly compelling.

Image result for villano iii

• Like 1