DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Didn't Busick originate the Full Nelson Facebuster and The Rainmaker?

Dennis Condrey was doing the full nelson facebuster as part of the Midnight Express. Not sure if someone pre-dates him.

Very nice tribute to Nick Busick from our area's NBC affiliate, including a video:

http://wtov9.com/news/local/remember-nick-big-bully-busick

(Spoilered for length)

Spoiler

Nick Busick was born in Steubenville in 1954, and he died Tuesday in Weirton.

In between, he made a tremendous impact on people here in the Ohio Valley and across the country.

“There’s going to be a lot of people miss him, and they really don’t understand the legacy that he had,” longtime friend Ted Arneault said. “If you look at professional wrestling now, it’s a world-wide business.”

Busick’s legacy has a lot of branches.

He wasn’t just a superstar in the ring. He was also in law enforcement. And, according to longtime friend and former Hancock County Sheriff Ted Dragisich, when Busick joined the Weirton police force in 1973 at the age of 18, he was the youngest police officer in the county.

But his most important legacy is his family – his wife Lori of 32 years, his children, and three grandchildren.

“I was his children’s Godfather,” Dragisich said. “Nick praised his children. There was nothing like his three children. And they grew up to be – Robert is a state trooper, Branko is working in the oil and gas business, and Nicole is the humane officer for the city of Weirton."

WTOV9 was fortunate to have Nick share his insights during the OVAC wrestling championships. And no one enjoyed that more than fellow commentator and friend Mike “Smitty” Smith.

Smitty saw Busick’s impact on kids close up.

“(My son) Cooper won his first trophy, which was about as tall as Cooper when he was 4. He went running down, Bully was refereeing. He stopped the match, ‘Bully! Bully! I won my first trophy,’ ” Smitty said. “So that one will stick with me forever. Those are the kinds of things that Bully did. He impacted so many kids’ lives, including myself.”

“He always had time for children,” Hancock County Sheriff Ralph Fletcher said. “I never saw him turn anybody away.”

Busick also always had time for a workout. In the weight room, he excelled on a national and international level. And he pushed friends like Fletcher.

“He’d say ‘this is how we stay alive, 'Fletch.' You have to move, you have to work out,” Fletcher recalled. “And he drug me back to the gym, and we had a lot of fun.”

Busick, who battled cancer during the final years of his life, never backed down from that challenge, or the challenge of helping others overcome addiction.

“The Bully is a myth,” Dragisich said. “The only time I could tell you Nick Busick was a bully is when he was battling a cancer, and he was tenacious with that. The last 16 years, he’s done nothing but help people with addictions. He dedicated his life to helping people.”

Nick was also a successful businessman, but most importantly to those who knew him best, he was special in many ways.

“Smile, handlebar mustache, the laugh that you would get out of him. I’ll miss that tremendously,” Arneault said.

“He was probably the kindest human being that God put breath into,” Dragisich said. “He was just a fabulous human being, and I’m so proud to have known him for the 50 years that I’ve been with him.”

Fletcher says he’ll miss Busick’s “big-face smile” the most.

“I’ll miss that big face encouraging me to do whatever,” he said. “I’ll miss a brother. I’ll miss a true friend.”

So will Busick’s longtime friend Albert Magnone.

“He was a very compassionate man,” Magnone said. “He was very youth-oriented. The ideal family man. He always ended up with ‘thanks for being my friend.’ I thank him for being my friend.”

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

WYFF News 4 anchor Mike McCormick and WYFF News 4 photojournalist Aaron Smeltzer died Monday when a tree fell on their SUV.

Yeah, let's keep sending people out in tropical storms because it's a compelling visual.  Keep fucking that chicken, TV news.

In TV's defense, as someone who works at a station in Tornado Alley, photographers and reporters are usually the ones volunteering to be in harms' way.   It's not simply a matter of "evil TV station sends poor reporters into bad weather fpr ratings."  From my experience, most of them WANT to be out there.

Am I the only guy who every time I see this thread get bumped hopes it's because Invader 1 finally got his one way ticket to hell???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Am I the only guy who every time I see this thread get bumped hopes it's because Invader 1 finally got his one way ticket to hell???

Sorry. He's such a good seller that he could probably convince St. Peter to let him in.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

You are not

Brody got a pass to Hell(or he's already there, who knows, whatever) and Invader 1 just gets his ass whooped for all of eternity as punishment.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Brody got a pass to Hell(or he's already there, who knows, whatever) and Invader 1 just gets his ass whooped for all of eternity as punishment.

That was basically his whole career:

On 5/29/2018 at 10:43 PM, Ryan said:

Flair will live to be like 107 just to confuse medical science.

him and Jake Roberts are going to outlast all of us, somehow.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, sabremike said:

Sadly Chicky Starr might beat him to the thread...

• Sad 1

I was trying to figure out what Rippa was talking about concerning Maryland wrestling stupidity on Twitter and then I saw the story and that they were planning on doing a 10 bell salute to Rebel.   Which never mind that Rebel didn't have a Maryland wrestling license it is such a scumbag thing to do.  It just goes to show you how scummy indie wrestling can be

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I was trying to figure out what Rippa was talking about concerning Maryland wrestling stupidity on Twitter and then I saw the story and that they were planning on doing a 10 bell salute to Rebel.   Which never mind that Rebel didn't have a Maryland wrestling license it is such a scumbag thing to do.  It just goes to show you how scummy indie wrestling can be

What indie is it so I know never to give them or anyone involved with them a dime? Good lord that should win the most disgusting promotional tactic in a landslide, like how in the fuck can you justify that???

On 5/29/2018 at 4:53 PM, Ryan said:

Brody is definitely not in hell because he's so scary he makes Satan shit himself in fear.

49 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What indie is it so I know never to give them or anyone involved with them a dime? Good lord that should win the most disgusting promotional tactic in a landslide, like how in the fuck can you justify that???

Being scummy isn't limited to indy wrestling. WWE paid tribute to and celebrated the lives Jimmy Snuka and the Fabulous Moolah despite what was known about them. IMO, the reason Benoit is persona non grata is because the murder/suicide brought drug & steroid use in wrestling back into public eye, added ammo for arguments about CTE and brain injuries, and ruined the stupid Vince limo explosion storyline. If Vince could make money off Chris Benoit without a shit-ton of public backlash, I'm sure he would. 

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Being scummy isn't limited to indy wrestling. WWE paid tribute to and celebrated the lives Jimmy Snuka and the Fabulous Moolah despite what was known about them. IMO, the reason Benoit is persona non grata is because the murder/suicide brought drug & steroid use in wrestling back into public eye, added ammo for arguments about CTE and brain injuries, and ruined the stupid Vince limo explosion storyline. If Vince could make money off Chris Benoit without a shit-ton of public backlash, I'm sure he would. 

Who the fuck said being scummy was limited to indies? Christ, the running the Benoit tribute on the west coast feed when they 100% knew what happened to either make the company look like they had no idea what happened (a charitable take) or that they wanted to pop a rating (much more likely) was as scummy as all hell.