DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

20 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Man, the way he went was pretty odd. Dunno how you can plow into someone who is on foot and that age. I doubt he was very spry. The dent on that truck too. The driver must’ve been going pretty fast, no?

I used to live about 10 minutes from where this took place. It's a very busy 6-7 lane road. Speed Limit is 40 there I think. But this happened at 5AM, it was dark and rainy and the road there isn't well-lit. Definitely not the easiest street to try to cross on foot. Apparently his mother lives in Pittsburgh and he was walking to the bus stop to catch a bus downtown to then catch another bus back home to his wife in New York City. Last time I saw anything, police were still investigating but basically said it was just a tragic accident.

The WWE uploaded what they say is the Hall of Fame video for the Valiant Brothers

It's different than the one Get Down posted so I don't know which video was used for what

4 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Rippa must have 'ol Madcap on ignore...

Nope - was just providing some more context.

Especially since no one else was talking about it other than Meltzer throwing out a line in passing

Indy wrestler from the Southern States/ New South Wrestling/ NWA: Smoky Mountain region Adam York died a few days ago.  I was a friend of a friend to some of the guys who worked the territory, and I got to meet him a time or two.  Seemed like a really nice guy.  I was sad to hear about his death.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sites are reporting that Number One Paul Jones passed away today. What a crappy day for wrestling...

It will take Dave weeks to find room for his obit in the observer, esp since Bruno stuff could take multiple issues.

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It will take Dave weeks to find room for his obit in the observer, esp since Bruno stuff could take multiple issues.

In the new WON Dave said he was about to start a longer obit on Johnny Valiant when he learned about Bruno's passing (TLDR: Bruno got Johnny into wrestling and was a huge positive influence on his career), so we may never get that one either.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how much of the Bruno obit Dave already had on file ready to go, especially if Bruno's illness was as lengthy as is being said. 

I'm guessing the non-italicized part of this week's story is what he had in the can, so to speak.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

In the new WON Dave said he was about to start a longer obit on Johnny Valiant when he learned about Bruno's passing (TLDR: Bruno got Johnny into wrestling and was a huge positive influence on his career), so we may never get that one either.

I've said for ages that the whole concept of a weekly Observer is obsolete in this day and age. Just print the news, and articles, as and when. There's no need for Dave to be recapping RAW and other mundanities at this point, one of his minions is more than capable of doing that. Dave should concentrating on business analysis and the lengthy articles such as obituaries and historical features.

• Like 5

Paul Jones passed away too.

I only know him as the guy in the safari suit making Jimmy Valiants life miserable for no apparent reason.

I know he had a illustrious career in the mid Atlantic region in the 60’s and 70’s but to me he is forever the leader of the group of bad guys who wouldn’t leave poor ole Boogie Woogie alone.

• Like 2

From Meltzer's Jones obit:

Jones was noted as being a good looking guy and was a legendary ladies man. There was a saying, whether true or not, that nobody in the Carolinas had sex with more women at that time than Jones.

Jesus, he and Steamboat must've been swimming in pussy when they teamed up.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

From Meltzer's Jones obit:

Jesus, he and Steamboat must've been swimming in pussy when they teamed up.

For fuck's sake, the dude nailed Jayne Mansfield. I feel sorry for anyone who remembers Paul Jones as the manager of a bunch of second-stringers. He was one of the best wrestlers of his era and so good that you didn't even realize how small he was. An excellent babyface for years, when he went heel he was even better.

RIP #1, we'll miss ya.

• Like 1