DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

2 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Tom Zenk passed away over a week ago. It wasn’t well known until his obit was published in a Minneapolis newspaper. 

http://m.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/233177/?fullname=thomas-erwin-zenk

I just found out about Zenk's death a few minutes ago.

I seem to recall a few people mentioning that Zenk ...

--- knew nothing about his namesake blog/website

-- was told by a third-party what to say in his interviews (or may not have been the one being interviewed -- that it was someone pretending to be him)

I recall Tom Zenk (if it were him) mentioning that he was "working in middle management" whenever he was interviewed. I had heard he may have worked in financial services (possibly a hedge fund). While checking a YT shoot interview of someone talking about Zenk, a responder alleged he met Tom not too long ago, and said he was working in "loss prevention for a major retailer". IOW, a lot of stories with the truth possibly in there somewhere.

I agree with most of you that Zenk was a fun, 80s-style babyface who worked great in a tag team environment. Loved the Can-Am Connection and was hoping to see them beat the Hart Foundation for the tag belts in 1987 when Zenk suddenly bolted. It was the first time I really saw and heard a wrestler getting buried on TV after Zenk left, with Rick Martel ripping him (never by name, but as "my partner") for walking away while they were in the middle of a feud with The Islanders. Even the announcers took their shots at Zenk before Martel and Tito Santana teamed up as Strike Force. Also enjoyed his pairing with Pillman in WCW.

I just have a feeling Zenk was so frustrated with the wrestling world that he simply tuned out -- no contact with his peers, no appearances at conventions, etc. -- and moved on with his life. Seeing some of his wrestling colleagues he grew up with (Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Brady Boone) passing at such young ages probably took a toll on him as well.

There's something to be said for a guy who didn't take any shit when promoters messed with his money or reneged on deals.  Then again, in a business where the promoters expect wrestlers to be marks, paid with a hot dog and just happy to be there, that makes for a lot of burned bridges and a short career.  RIP, Z-Man.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 1:36 PM, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Tom Zenk passed away over a week ago. It wasn’t well known until his obit was published in a Minneapolis newspaper. 

http://m.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/233177/?fullname=thomas-erwin-zenk

Reading the obit and saw both his parents were/are still alive. How horrible to bury one of your children...

• Sad 1

On 12/18/2017 at 10:24 AM, colonial said:

--- knew nothing about his namesake blog/website

-- was told by a third-party what to say in his interviews (or may not have been the one being interviewed -- that it was someone pretending to be him)

He did an interview on the Meltzer radio show and a fan asked him about burying Flair on his blog and Zenk sounded shocked he would ever bury Flair. So I don't really think he was ever writing on the website. Sad to hear of his passing, he was always a main stay in my WCW viewing as a kid. With Lex, Sting and Pillman. 

Also just being in the opening match of Wrestlemania 3. I must have watched that show fifty times. As a team him and Martel were something special. They had a chemistry that even someone as talented as Tito Santana could not replicate. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Curt McGirt said:

She was in rough shape on that GLOW doc. RIP

Yeah, I remember that.  That GLOW doc was a tough watch. :(

I still remember when Mt. Fiji and Dee "Queen Kong" Booher appeared on an episode of Mama's Family as the Masked Mabels. 

It was at that time I began to suspect that wrestling was a work.  It is still real to me, dammit.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, the way he went was pretty odd. Dunno how you can plow into someone who is on foot and that age. I doubt he was very spry. The dent on that truck too. The driver must’ve been going pretty fast, no?