DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

4 hours ago, zev said:

https://twitter.com/itsvedatime/status/877062573723717632

https://twitter.com/FightOwensFight/status/877052200660471813

This is just a fraction of my timeline today. There's a level of respect shown akin to when Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper left us. 

I've known Chris since he was just a fan coming to shows and heckling the guys.  Watch some old Capw (cleveland all pro wrestling) and you can hear and see him all over the shows.  The guy loved wrestling and it was his life.  A lot of people talked down on him and Thorne for being fans who have money and ended up running a promotion. They would often go to the bars and wait to get pics and mark out with the wrestlers. I don't see anything wrong with it but they had a big stigma around them for a while.  It is impossible though to not mention how great of a job Chris has done with AIW.  From day one to what they have become now is impressive.   I will miss Chris.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2017 at 9:04 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

I've known Chris since he was just a fan coming to shows and heckling the guys.  Watch some old Capw (cleveland all pro wrestling) and you can hear and see him all over the shows.  The guy loved wrestling and it was his life.  A lot of people talked down on him and Thorne for being fans who have money and ended up running a promotion. They would often go to the bars and wait to get pics and mark out with the wrestlers. I don't see anything wrong with it but they had a big stigma around them for a while.  It is impossible though to not mention how great of a job Chris has done with AIW.  From day one to what they have become now is impressive.   I will miss Chris.

Yeah, this one was a bit hard to take after I heard the news. I think everyone was expecting him to recover at some point. Chris/Chandler had positive interactions with so many people and was just a great guy in general. It really shows how much people loved him, and how important AIW is/was to a lot of people, especially considering the amount of support from people in the business.  

• Like 1

Chris was the kind of guy who would give a fan a free shirt or free DVD just to see them smile. There is a reason why all of these wrestlers are paying such great tribute to him. It's not just that he always paid them it's that he treated everyone with respect. He really took Cleveland wrestling to a whole new level and brought national spotlight to an area that never was known for wrestling. Promoters like him are a very rare breed.

• Like 2

My one and only Smith Hart story was meeting him briefly within a circle of Ontario wrestling people that went up to Raw in Toronto in 2010 the night Bret won the U.S. title.

Right away Smith asks if I want to hear a joke.  I say sure.

"What's the difference between jam and marmalade?"
"I dunno, what is it?"
"I can't marmalade my cock down your throat."

Smith Hart, Ladies and Gentlemen.

• Like 15

From the newest WON

Just as we were going to press we got the word that Vic Faulkner, who was part of the Royal Brothers tag team in the 60s and70s, passed away at the age of 72.

Faulkner was the son of Lewis Faulkner, a pro wrestler from 1935 to 1963. Vic started in pro wrestling in 1961, at the age of 17 and worked all over Europe and Africa through the 1980s. He was one of the biggest stars in the U.K. from the mid-60s through the late 70s, known for socializing with some of the country’s biggest celebrities of that era, including The Beatles.

Faulkner was an innovative high flyer during his heyday and a former Wrestler of the Year in the U.K. He and brother Bert, who was 13 years older than he was and wrestled as Bert Royal (real name Herbert Faulkner), were known as The Flying Faulkners as well as The Royal Brothers and were among the best tag teams in the U.K. during the 60s and 70s.

Faulkner was European middleweight champion twice, first beating Jose Rodriguez Questra on November 28, 1966, in Nottingham, before losing to the legendary Mick McManus in the summer of 1968. He defeated McManus to win it back on September 23, 1968, and held it until losing to McManus on April 26, 1971.

At that time he dropped to welterweight and won the British welterweight title that had been vacated when Brian Maxine moved weight classes, beating Adrian Street in the tournament final in Croydon on July 20, 1971. He held the title until losing to Jim Breaks on May 31, 1976, in Bradford, and then won it a second time from Breaks on August 28, 1976 in Manchester, before losing it on March 9, 1977, in Buxton. On July 5, 1977, Faulkner beat Breaks to win the title in Leicester, but the title wound up being held up because of the interference of Bert Royal, and Breaks won the rematch in London.

After wrestling, Vic owned a pub in Euxton, Chorley and later was the District Sales Manager for Thwaites Brewery.

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said on the radio show that Buddy Wolfe passed away

Strong heel in Florida and the AWA for years. Famous for losing a "mixed match" to Muhammad Ali as he was building to the Inoki fight. Google him and Bob Backlund for a funny territories story.

Benjamin Mora Jr., who was the promoter in Tijuana during the 80s and 90s and headed the WWA, as well as at times ran a wrestling magazine in Mexico, passed away on 7/18 from a heart attack. Mora Jr. helped star the career of Rey Misterio Jr., Konnan, Psicosis, and promoted some major mask matches with El Hijo del Santo over the years

From the latest WON

• 3 weeks later...

Former Ken Kaiser umpire passed away on Tuesday

He was also known for doing some pro wrestling

Though Dave is all cranky because he exaggerated the wrestling stories in his book.

A wrestler telling tale tales. I am sure y'all are shocked