DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Aww. I always called him "Bud Abbott" since I didn't know his name and there was a resemblance in my mind. I liked him a lot... he would do these bombastic, humorous intros for guys like Shocker (ciento mil vatios de rudeza, "100,000 watts of rudeness") while playing things less OTT than CMLL's immortal ring announcer Vittorino. QEPD.

- Sorry to report the death of Gerome Phillips, an Ohio based independent wrestler who started his career at Heartland Wrestling out of Cincinnati, where he feuded with Jon Moxley over the HWA title, and also held the tag team titles with Moxley as his partner.

I'm sure I've said this here before, but I was in the Jacksonville Coliseum the night Bob Armstrong beat Buddy Colt for the North American title. That was the biggest pop I ever heard from a live crowd. Great memory. RIP, Bullet.

• Like 3

How much footage from before say...the late 70s is out there for Bullet Bob? Was thinking of doing a deep dive of his work and realized that, to my knowledge, I've never seen him as a younger guy. Most of my knowledge of him comes from Georgia and Southeast/Continental from the early-mid 80s and from Smoky Mountain.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did Bullet ever work for Vinces Sr. or Jr. at all?

Cagematch says he worked a card in Philly in 1974. Lost to Johnny Valiant, and participated in a $12,500 Battle Royal. 

Edited by Dewar
Beaten to it!!!
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 10:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Oh no

The Bullet turns heel.

The ref selling Flair's chop like a fucking gunshot at 5:50 is my favorite part of that.

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thanks, Wiki said nothing. Knew I shoulda checked Cagematch

To me, more interestingly than him working up north was that SECW had a really good working relationship with Vince Sr. It's how they were able to get good dates on Andre, for example.

On the Studcast, Ron said that Bob was holding to make sure he outlived his wife. So, once she died a month or two ago, it was likely just a matter of time. 

Also, Bob continued to life weights and apparently, when he could not lift properly due to a problem with his pinky, he had it cut off. 

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

On the Studcast, Ron said that Bob was holding to make sure he outlived his wife. So, once she died a month or two ago, it was likely just a matter of time. 

Also, Bob continued to life weights and apparently, when he could not lift properly due to a problem with his pinky, he had it cut off. 

I couldn’t remember if it was the Studcast or Cornette’s podcast where those stories were told. What a tough dude to say fuck my pinky, I’m still going to pump iron.