DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

48 minutes ago, colonial said:

This is a fun TV match

Boy, you weren't kidding. It's like the two old Memphis hands got together and said "Let's shake up the formula here."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

I’d never thought of it before,  but it’s kind of crazy that Orndorff wasn’t on the card at all for WMIII. 

I suppose that's a mix of needing a backup option in case André dropped out (and Orndorff was that guy, I assume that's why they did they screwy finish at Saturday's Night Main Event a couple of months earlier) and Orndorff needing a rest for this injured arm (which is why they did not start a program in case André could work, i.e. they don't have to have a program to clean up afterwards; Orndorff took off from mid of March to early June).

Edited by Robert s
  • Thanks 1

So did Kamala and Jerry Lawler not get along? Because Lawler's RIP tweet is a real "Happy Birthday Shane McMahon". He doesn't even say RIP.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

So did Kamala and Jerry Lawler not get along? Because Lawler's RIP tweet is a real "Happy Birthday Shane McMahon". He doesn't even say RIP.

I don't know but I'm sure but Kamala is probably the gimmick he's most proud of because it ending out being the most famous of all the monsters he had programs with. Why wasn't he on WMIII?

He seemed like someone I'd want to have on the card just for the aesthetics, the entrance the visual. It seemed like he had early Undertaker like vibes with the crowd the way the kids in the crowd would be scared of him. He was teaming with Sika around that time have them squash some guys. 

edit: "troll job" deleted because this isn't the right topic for it. This isn't the right topic for disputing the words of widows, either - Kamala's wife claims he was hospitalized for COVID before passing, per Bleacher Report's Jason King.

Happy to see that somebody else posted his musical shoot interview, so I'll just add that I think Kamala was an all-time great in the art of selling as a big man. And that Andre bodyslam video is funnier if you decide to believe Tony K's sleaze thread.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

36 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Would you like someone to tell you that this is all a work set up by the dastardly mainstream media to make you afraid of the big, made-up virus? Well too bad - I heard Britt Baker killed him.

Happy to see that somebody else posted his musical shoot interview, so I'll just add that I think Kamala was an all-time great in the art of selling as a big man. And that Andre bodyslam video is funnier if you decide to believe Tony K's sleaze thread.

why bring up Brit Baker? Prick much? I had a question, a LEGIT question. You want to troll someone I highly suggest it be someone else. 

Pete and I got to see a fun as shit Kamala vs Lawler at a JAPW show.  Worked really simple but smart.  The highlight of with was Kamala doing full silent savage gimmick, until he complains to the ref about Lawler doing something and the place falling out laughing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

As noted above Orndorff was held off the WM 3 card just in case Andre refused to do a job at the last minute and they needed a substitute main event opponent, which in hindsight would have been an incredible day.

Andre not wanting to put Hogan over makes for a better story, and the possibility that he would not & get shooty has been repeated by the Original Orange Worker/Liar many many times, but I cannot believe that Mr. The Giant would hold VKM  up for more $$$ or go back on his word AT ALL. Now, Orndorff may have been needed as a reserve in case the state athletic commission's doctor would not let Andre (man, what was hip BP really?) into the ring is far more realistic, albeit a sadder and more mundane tale.

Time: the Ultimate Heel,

RAF

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm not saying he would do it so much as I think I believe Vince thinks he might have done it, you know? Paranoia isn't a new trait for him.

Given Vince had tried to get wrestlers to double cross other promoters, it stands to reason he might expect the same behavior in return. Also, coke. 

Edited by odessasteps

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Pete and I got to see a fun as shit Kamala vs Lawler at a JAPW show.  Worked really simple but smart.  The highlight of with was Kamala doing full silent savage gimmick, until he complains to the ref about Lawler doing something and the place falling out laughing.

"HEY REF!" Sweet baby Jesus that was hysterical. You also had the visual of Kamala at his gimmick table signing autographs, including a lucha mask at some point after giving it some thought.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

I thought he had been sick for quite a while, amputations, etc.  Yet mainstream media is saying it was Coronavirus.  Was it Diabities or the Corona that was the cause? Seems like every death related to illness is now being labeled as Coronavirus related. 

It looks like COVID at least factored into it.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

The documentary "Card Subject To Change" featured Kamala pretty heavily. It showed him doing his singing gimmick, which I would have loved to have seen more of. 

All the talk of Andre not doing business is laughable.  He was always going to do the job.  Anything else is just bullshit Hogan mythologizing. 

"Orndorff being held back just in case" has always been an unsubstantiated legend.  Orndorff himself just recently said he can't remember.  But come on.  I really have my doubts that Andre was touch and go at match time when the guy worked matches in the lead-up and continued to work until, what, Mania 6?  I mean sure, it was limited work, but that was all he was needed for here.

I love all the myths we've built around Mania 3.  Does anybody outside the hardcore WWF marks, lunatics on Wikipedia, and anti-Meltzer contrarians believe 93,173?

• Like 2