DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Aww, man...Mitch Ryder? This one really bums me out. He was a favorite of mine in CHIKARA especially. Didn’t see his IWA work until much later. 

His character just worked so well surrounded by young lucha dudes who didn’t look or work like him at all. Great chemistry with Sweeney and Shayne Hawke, too. 

• Like 1

I remember hearing Eddie Kingston talking about his Hero feud on a podcast, and he was saying that he and Hero very much DO NOT get along in real life. Which I was hoping would lead to him cutting an awesome shoot promo on what a terrible person Hero was, but he just said they are very different people with very different philosophies and left it at that.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:55 AM, AxB said:

I remember hearing Eddie Kingston talking about his Hero feud on a podcast, and he was saying that he and Hero very much DO NOT get along in real life. Which I was hoping would lead to him cutting an awesome shoot promo on what a terrible person Hero was, but he just said they are very different people with very different philosophies and left it at that.

A lot of the Hero- Kingston hate had to do with how Kingston perceived Hero had treated his old Wildcards partner  Jack Marciano. They hated each other. I saw one of their matches live and they both stiffed the shit out of each other. Kingston wouldn't come out at intermission until Hero had went to the back. 

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Big Jim Harris in World of Sport 

Cornette and others have always made it seem that Harris was barely functional in the ring prior to the Kamala gimmick, he’s not that bad in the video above and here he is bumping for Big Daddy. 

• Like 1

I remember going back and watching those early Wrestling Challenge and Superstars and Televised House Shows on WWE 24/7 and noticing how agile and Athletic Kamala was. I guess because of his gimmick is not something you want to bring light to but Bigelow and Bossman came around not long after and got put over for being able to move around like they did. That Kamala gimmick could have easily let him get away with the minimum in the ring. Imagine if he wasn't so handcuffed with the gimmick he probably would've shown out almost anybody in any locker room. 

Kamala was honestly very good at getting the maximum out of an audience reaction with very little, especially while the gimmick was fresh. His strengths were timing, selling, facial expressions and he could milk all that shit. Listen to these people go nuts for everything Atlas does.

• Like 4

There have been a million “savage” or “wildman” gimmicks, but Kamala was the only one I ever saw work a tag match properly for the gimmick. His tag in World Class with Michael Hayes and someone else I can’t recall where he doesn’t understand the tag rules is great. 

Also, it just occurred to me that I’ve only ever heard the name Kamala twice and both of the people who are named that or used that name have the last name Harris. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Not sure what's more impressive: Kamala picking up Andre like it was nothing, or Andre going up light as a feather. Who's the guy fighting Duggan in this?

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I thought he had been sick for quite a while, amputations, etc.  Yet mainstream media is saying it was Coronavirus.  Was it Diabities or the Corona that was the cause? Seems like every death related to illness is now being labeled as Coronavirus related. 

He's actually a textbook case. Between his age, weight and all the other debilitations he'd endured, he was super vulnerable to it. That's why people need to do the right thing and take precautions.

• Like 10