DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Z Barr was never what I would call "good" but he had one of those faces where you could always cheer for him to take a beating, and that's a valuable thing in wrestling.  RIP.

• Like 1

Former FWA promoter (between 1999 and 2003) Elisar Cabrera died on July 20th after a four year battle with cancer. May he Rest in Peace.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

RIP Zoltan Boscik, a World of Sport wrestler who really grew on me over the years. 

Boscik is absolutely one of my favorites. I just loved his demeanor and how he came at holds. 

• Like 1

TMZ is reporting that Becky Mullen, who portrayed "Sally the Farmer's Daughter" in GLOW, has passed away at age 57.

Also, per PW Insider, 80s/90s woman wrestler Kat LeRoux recently passed away due to complications from liver issues. LeRoux may be best known in my Apter mag-reading days as "that woman who was always wrestling Misty Blue Simmes." 

Edited by colonial

I remember watching this live on MSG when I was 12 - it's one of two matches on the same show that really informed my wrestling fandom at an early age (Murdoch/Adonis vs the Briscos was the other match), and it's fascinating to realize now that Rocco was such a big part of it. RIP.

(Youtube clip above is the finish only- full match here no thanks to DailyMotion's wonky embedding. Count the wacky MSG message board ads! It's fun!)

From the latest WON

David Kidney, a post-World War II star in Scotland, passed away on 7/21 at the age of 89. Kidney was a fan of wrestling growing up and turned pro in 1949. His biggest win was taking the BWA featherweight title from George Allen in 1959 in his home city of Dundee, Scotland before 2,000 fans. He defended the title on independent shows and on shows he would promote himself in smaller venues. He never lost the title and retired with the belt. After his wife of 50 years passed away in 2004, his daughter encouraged him to get back in wrestling to combat his grief. In 2006, he founded King Wrestling Promotions with Duncan Kettles. In 2009, he was the subject of a documentary on BBC Scotland called “Dave Kidney: Superstar,” which focused on his return to the business at the age of 76. He actually did some matches in the ring at his shows, last doing a match in 2008. The documentary was about his idea of defending the title 50 years after he first won it, although he actually never did wrestle in 2009. Kidney was something of a local hero in Dundee, who also worked as a shopkeeper and was considered like a surrogate grandfather to many wrestlers in Scotland’s wrestling community and telling people stories of wrestling in the 50s and 60s.

Rocco had been suffering from dementia for a while, but it's still sad. I love Rocco's Joint Promotions stuff from the 70s and early 80s. His feud with Marty Jones is legendary and should be required viewing by everyone. When people say Dynamite Kid vs. Sayama was the start of juniors wrestling, they're wrong. It began with Jones and Rocco. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Rocco had been suffering from dementia for a while, but it's still sad. I love Rocco's Joint Promotions stuff from the 70s and early 80s. His feud with Marty Jones is legendary and should be required viewing by everyone. When people say Dynamite Kid vs. Sayama was the start of juniors wrestling, they're wrong. It began with Jones and Rocco. 

I didn't know that. Such a fucking cruel disease is Dementia. My late Nan had it for a year before she passed.

Edited by The Natural

RIP Rocco, one of the true innovators of the junior style. Regal said it perfectly.

When the Wrestling Channel launched in 2004ish, getting to see his work for the first time was such a mind blowing experience. His matches with Dynamite were pure art, heavy hitting, stiff, athletic and timeless. I wish he hadn’t had to retire, imagine him showing up in the cruiser division in WCW in 96ish or NJPW in the early 90s against Malenko, Benoit, Guerrero et al.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I remember watching this live on MSG when I was 12 - it's one of two matches on the same show that really informed my wrestling fandom at an early age (Murdoch/Adonis vs the Briscos was the other match), and it's fascinating to realize now that Rocco was such a big part of it. RIP.

(Youtube clip above is the finish only- full match here no thanks to DailyMotion's wonky embedding. Count the wacky MSG message board ads! It's fun!)

It's interesting, I was just going to post almost the exact same thing word for word:  1984 was my first year as a fan, also watching the MSG network over in New Jersey, etc; although slightly different in a way, as it was Adonis/Murdoch defeating the Soul Patrol for the tag belts and how tragically unfair I thought it was (kudos to Adonis & Murdoch for making me feel that way) that probably locked me into wrestling permanently.  But this match (and the tag match you mentioned) capped off that year wonderfully, as it felt like it was from another planet.  I watched it over and over, and spent years hoping to see matches like it, and while the Harts and Bulldogs soon after could hit on it at times, this match still had a magical quality to it for me for a long time.  Rocco as Black Tiger is terrific in this match, so speedy, so crisp, and subtly mean-spirited at times.   Last but certainly not least, it's an almost perfect example of how to completely win a tough crowd over.  It won me over for sure.  Thank you, Mark Rocco.  RIP.  

• Like 2