DVDVR Message Board

This is the apex of the BJW lighttube match and tells a pretty neat story. I'm sure it won't win but it's worth a revisit. 

EDIT: Whoops, that was a 2009 match I posted. Anyway, here's a highlight reel

EDIT II: That's not a highlight reel, that's just the end of the match. And watching that again isn't doing it any favors given the overkill we've seen in puro since then, but the match seen in whole might make it more acceptable. Plus, there's actual wrestling!

EDIT III: It's on Ditch's site, funny enough per my recommendation

My 2007 Match of the Year is definitely Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson from ROH Manhattan Mayhem II.

Honourable mentions:

John Cena vs. Umaga. WWE Royal Rumble.

Batista vs. The Undertaker. WWE WrestleMania 23.

Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena. WWE RAW, 23rd April.

The Undertaker vs. Batista. WWE Backlash.

John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Edge vs. Randy Orton. WWE Backlash.

Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries. ROH Rising Above.

Cena vs. Michaels (WM 23): The hour-long Raw match gets a bunch of hype, but I always thought their first encounter was significantly better. Simple, but well-executed story of wily Shawn trying to out-maneuver the bigger and stronger Cena. Nice contrast to Cena/Umaga to really highlight Cena's range and how good he was around this time.

HHH vs. Orton LMS (No Mercy): Stupid angle leading up to it due to Cena's injury, and it isn't helped by being in such close proximity to Cena/Umaga, but this is a match that holds up very well on its own. Easily HHH's best babyface performance, and a great showing by Orton as well. The match is one of the more perfectly laid out matches WWE has done with no filler and every move meaning something.

Ibushi/Marufuji vs. KENTA/Ishimori (7/15): Super fun junior tag that strikes the right balance of fast pace, good spots, exciting nearfalls, and doesn't veer off into pointless overkill territory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gotta go with my favorite match from one of my favorite WWE series ever: Batista vs. Undertaker, Wrestlemania XXIII

Honorable Mention: 

- John Cena vs. Umaga, I Quit 

- John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (RAW)

- Batista vs. Undertaker, Hell In A Cell (Survivor Series) 

- Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Gotta go with my favorite match from one of my favorite WWE series ever: Batista vs. Undertaker, Wrestlemania XXIII

Honorable Mention: 

- John Cena vs. Umaga, I Quit 

- John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (RAW)

- Batista vs. Undertaker, Hell In A Cell (Survivor Series) 

- Takeshi Morishima vs. Bryan Danielson, ROH Manhattan Mayhem II 

Signed in to like this post.

• 2 months later...

Whenever I go back and revisit him, I'm blown away by what an amazing worker John Cena was in 2007. The beauty of this match is that it seems minimalist on the surface but is actually quite rich in detail for those willing to pay attention. Note the little touches like Cena coughing after escaping a chinlock and Orton selling the STF's impact on his leg after hitting an RKO. I recall reading at the time that there was a conscious attempt to dial back the style after the Benoit tragedy. It's a shame that this direction wasn't explored as much as it could have been.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, Chaos said:

I haven't seen it in ages, but didn't Orton and Edge have a pretty great match the week after Cena/Michaels almost went broadway on RAW?

Good match, yes, but not one that's particularly distinguishable from your average good tv match nowadays. It definitely benefited from tv matches being much shorter on average back then.