DVDVR Message Board

Great Balls of Fire 2017

The Natural

On 6/7/2017 at 6:24 AM, Marty Sugar said:

Here in Canada, there's a big "Wear Plaid For Dad" in June (for Father's Day) for Prostate Cancer Awareness. And since Brock is Canadian now...

I am now wishing "Wear Plaid for Dad" was the name of the June show ...

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, Raziel403 said:

Man, I remember when we only had 2!

WrestleMania 1 was on closed circuit in different arenas. 

WrestleMania 2 was on Showtime.

By chance do you mean one of the Starrcades?

How about Superclash? Pretty sure the third one was PPV, but not sure about the previous ones.

On 2017-6-10 at 3:06 AM, Roman said:

Luxury.

Y3HR4mC.jpg

I used to have to get up at midnight, work in a coal mine for 24 hours just to afford the cable black box so I could pirate a feed of the PPV just to occasionally see a glimpse of the Warlord working a full Nelson and then record it on LP just to trade it for a compilation of Reckless Youth. 

Try telling that to the kids these days and they won't believe you

• Like 8

If they really wanted to give this match a big fight feel, divide it up into five-minute rounds. Also hire Scott Steiner back for a one-time special appearance as Brock's corner man. That way he can holler "HE'S FAT!" in between rounds as intelligible fight instructions.

• Like 5

On 2017-06-11 at 5:58 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

If they really wanted to give this match a big fight feel, divide it up into five-minute rounds. Also hire Scott Steiner back for a one-time special appearance as Brock's corner man. That way he can holler "HE'S FAT!" in between rounds as intelligible fight instructions.

I was surprised nobody said "Great Balls of Fat" yet.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2017 at 7:26 PM, Craig H said:

Man, count me in too for naming a WWE PPV after the two guys headlining it. I'm surprised that hasn't happened sooner, but I'm guessing that Vince doesn't want to put the talent over the brand. Even still, it's not like they should do it all of the time, but WWE: Brock vs Samoa Joe is awesome. Nakamura vs Cena. Just totally take a page from UFC and run with that. Couldn't be worse than coming up with all of these other names. 

And there's reason one why they won't do it. Reason two is, how are you going to get people pumped for WWE: Orton vs Cena 37?

• 2 weeks later...

There are three matches I want to see: Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe, Roman Reigns vs. Braunnnnnn Strowman and Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks. The booking lately, thinking to Backlash and Money in the Bank, ugh. Please don't fuck this up WWE.

• Like 1

I really wish Baltimore got this show instead of Extreme Rules.  I'd have lost my shit seeing Reigns/Braun and Joe/Lesnar.  But this godforsaken town doesn't deserve such awesomeness so watching on the network will have to do.  It's going to take a helluva lot to fuck up this show, but I'm certain they're going to try anyway.

52 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I really wish Baltimore got this show instead of Extreme Rules.  I'd have lost my shit seeing Reigns/Braun and Joe/Lesnar.  But this godforsaken town doesn't deserve such awesomeness so watching on the network will have to do.  It's going to take a helluva lot to fuck up this show, but I'm certain they're going to try anyway.

Did it deserve Great American Bash 91?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Did it deserve Great American Bash 91?

Not sure about back then, but I'd say nobody deserves that noise.  But they definitely deserved it after chanting "Husky Harris!" for Bray Wyatt's debut.  Bunch of asswipes in the crowd for sure.

If anybody is going this show here's hoping y'all have a great time, this seems like it'll be tremendous live.  I think they respect Joe too much to make it a glorified squash so here's hoping for a good ten minute slugfest.

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

On paper this looks like the best Raw PPV on paper since the Split. Im actually hyped to see this 

Yeah most of the matches are very interesting on paper and had a proper build towards the event. I'm looking forward to it.  I could have sworn Goldust vs. R-Truth was announced but I guess not. 

• Like 1

Predictions with RAW spoilers:

Brock Lesnar retains the WWE Universal Championship against Samoa Joe.

Roman Reigns wins the Ambulance match going over Braunnnn Strowman.

Alexa Bliss keeps the WWE RAW Women's Championship versus Sasha Banks. Bliss will either cheat to get the pinfall or loses by deliberate countout. This will result in a SummerSlam rematch.

The Miz holds onto the WWE Intercontinental Championship defeating Dean Ambrose.

Cesaro/Sheamus retain the WWE RAW Tag Team Titles beating the Hardy Boyz.

Neville retains the WWE Cruiserweight Championship from Akira Tozawa. You would think WWE saves the title change for the PPV but we know WWE's form with the cruiseweights.

Seth Rollins beats Bray Wyatt.

Big Cass defeats Enzo Amore.

Bix continues his excellent work on Deadspin covering pro wrestling:  

Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped

I know Brock is going to win, but damn, do I want it to be by a hair. And one thing I don't think has been really mentioned, that final promo for Brock/Joe seemed to mark a double-turn. Or am I crazy? 

• Like 2

Monday a part of me expected Heyman to betray Brock because of his failure to protect him from Joe or at least avenge him. 

But then I thought Brock would not want to be without Heyman and he needs someone to speak for him during his hiatuses.