DVDVR Message Board

Great Balls of Fire 2017

The Natural

Neville/Tozawa was solid until the finish. Didin't pay attention to Seth/Bray. Enzo/Cass was not much of match, but did its job in gettign both over.

Was not all there mentally for the tag titles match, but I dug what I paid attention to. Not really sure where they go from here.

Sasha/Alexa was Alexa's best performance yet. Not sure if its better than the Bayley match, but it was up there. Feels like Alexa is doing better with Bayley and Sasha around.

Miz/Dean was decent.

Braun/Roman was probably MOTN. Glad Braun won. Roman going into to murder mode post match was something. This better be Roman's heel turn.

Joe/Brock was great the first few minutes. Unfortunately it became less when Brock was on offense. He just didn't have same explosiveness as Joe. I think it was less the suplex city stuff and more Brock trying to sell Joe's beat down. Still a fun match, Joe came across as a complete bad ass and still looked ready to try and destroy Brock again when it was all said and done.

This was a good show.

• Like 1

Absolute garbage show.* 

Boring, dull and like the third straight PPV where the heels ran roughshod over the babyfaces. 

- Nevill/Tozawa was whatever. I know a lot of people are high on Neville's run but it's not doing much for me. 

- Rollins vs Wyatt was the most un-dynamic Seth match I can recall. I hate the eye poke finish in WWE. They treat a fucking eye rake as if it's fucking Muta's mist in the face. Wyatt can be shot into the sun. 

- Cass looked terrible and I'm not sure what that weird neck hug thing he was doing. His heel run is DOA. 

- Tag match was solidly worked but man that Cesaro/Sheamus team does nothing for me. Somehow this team makes them less charismatic, which is saying something. The Bar is such a terrible team name. Hardys need to get broken or Jeff needs a solo run because every other babyface has died.

- Bliss vs Banks was really good. Awful finish, especially if it doesn't build to a rematch but good post-match. Sasha still has some life in her. 

- Miz vs Ambrose was nothing.

- Ambulance match was fun but kind of a fuck finish. Listen, I know that Roman IS a heel by behavior but I'm still not convinced that the WWE thinks he's a heel. This seems like a double-turn according to all logic and evidence in the universe but pretty sure this isn't gonna be a character change for him. He should come out tomorrow and tell the fans to go fuck themselves but would imagine the announcers are still gonna be treating him like Cena.

- Lesnar can go away. Just book him as a special attraction and keep him the fuck out of the title scene and away from the main events. This short matches are fun and all when it's versus Goldberg but this portrayal of him against regular roster members is just garbage. Yeah, that was a great six minute match. It could have been a better 15 minute match y'know.

*I've enjoyed the shit out of WWE this year so this is the first PPV that I really was annoyed by.    

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

When the baseline for Brock matches is "at least he didn't completely bury and squash his opponent," I fail to see what the point of all this is. 

When Del Rio returns for Mania and beats him for the title. Big time push. Then they'll bring back MexAmerica.

3 minutes ago, Hagan said:

When the baseline for Brock matches is "at least he didn't completely bury and squash his opponent," I fail to see what the point of all this is. 

Not to make it about me still (this is the last post, promise), but my argument wasn't that it wouldn't be good or even a "Great six minute match" but that it would never live up to the build, and that, in the end, it'd just be another short, rote Brock match where yes, Joe would wrestle like his career depended on it and like he'd never get another shot like this, but that would ultimately just be another disposable Brock match and it couldn't live up to how excited people were about it; that the build/anticipation would actually have done it a disservice because it couldn't live up to it. 

• Like 2

Man, Big Cass cut one of the least convincing heel promos on Raw Talk.  He just did not look comfortable doing it.  Sasha, on the otherhand, cut one of her best heel promos even though she's suppose to be a face.  Good thing Miz's eternal feud with Renee kept everything together.

I actually DO feel a bit bad about winning this one, cause I wasn't even super thrilled with the match save Joe being amazing. I basically won this because of a pre-match beat down. And at the end Joe did everything he could, every trick he knew, and still went down in one F5.

Fuck, I might actually agree with Matt on this one. Just hope they have plans for Joe. Balor seems like the obvious direction.

44 minutes ago, Matt D said:

All I saw was the main. Looking forward to seeing Roman/Braun and the apparently great tag match over the next week.

As for the main.

I said:

I underestimated how good Joe's initial attack would be, didn't predict the awesome low blow, and actually OVERESTIMATED the finishing stretch. Otherwise, pretty damn accurate if you ask me.

If the board says I've got stuff to review, fine, happy to do so, but you have to admit I more or less called what we got. It may come down to everyone having (rightfully) lowered expectations after two years of suplex city.

Matt you lost worse than Brock did at Survivor Series last year.  

44 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Loved Brock-Joe until the finish which I felt made Joe look a little weak after the jump and uranage through the table to start. Would have hoped Brock picked him up for a second F5 right away to put a stamp on it.

I rather one F5 finish most guys minus special cases. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Sasha/Alexa and agree that this was Alexa's best match since she defeated Bayley for the title. The post match stuff was awesome especially the knees from the announce table. I can get behind this program continuing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I actually DO feel a bit bad about winning this one, cause I wasn't even super thrilled with the match save Joe being amazing. I basically won this because of a pre-match beat down. And at the end Joe did everything he could, every trick he knew, and still went down in one F5.

Fuck, I might actually agree with Matt on this one. Just hope they have plans for Joe. Balor seems like the obvious direction.

What?? This was the bet:

They're going to blow Joe vs Brock, just like they've blown Brock vs Rusev and everything else. I'm willing to make a two match review wager (30 min match time limit; no one gets me to watch Okada vs Omega) on whether or not the board will be ultimately disappointed by it. Anyone?

No reason to feel bad about winning fair and square. This was way better than Brock's house-show mail-ins.

Joe vs Brock was OK,  I think if they'd gotten 5 more minutes it would've been better but unless its Summer Slam or WM , Brock isn't going any longer than he needs too. Joe didnt look any less than he did going into the match which is great but WWE has do keep him where her is now.

Not a fan of using Ambulances as gimmicks in an able but I thing it has used to get Strowman over more as a monster, it wasn't to hokey looking and the announcers put Roman Reigns over as heels no doubt so it could be a double turn. I hope Tozawa gets rematch with Never at SS and continue on with The Titus Brand.

So is the Sasha heel turn done for now b/c I was hoping for those to as SS , If not just keep Alexa and Sasha going for SS

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

@Go2Sleep

I've never seen any of those TNA feast or famine matches, by the way. Those are a thing, right?

Yes they were (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_or_Fired). I could pick some really horrible TNA matches if I wanted, but I'm thrilled to finally have some practical application for watching every 99-01 WCW ppv a couple years back.

Loved Alexa/Sasha, always thought they'd have a potentially good series, glad to see them deliver. Felt fresh seeing these two on top of the women's division, best match in months for both. Alexa's double jointed trick to sucker in to the big right hand is awesome. Thought the finish worked well in setting up a rematch with the post-match brawl.

Reigns/Braun was fun with the bizarre angle afterwards including Slater vs Hawkins of all matches on PPV. Was fearing the worst when Lesnar/Joe was starting so late. Wished it would've gone longer but was definitely enjoyable while it lasted. Ironman tag was really good stuff and flew by without feeling like it was 30 mins at all.

• Like 3

I really thought for sure that the Hawkins thing wasn't a way to make the Braun/Reigns angle more important (chaos backstage - send two guys out to work a match), but a way to get Finn Balor on the PPV by answering Hawkins' seemingly weekly open challenges.

For a feud with four guys I really like, I'm over the Hardys vs Sheamus/Cesaro feud. Hardy's shouldn't go 30 minutes again. Especially Matt who looked like he was dying out there. I don't know where they Champs go from here since the only other babyface tag team is Slater and Rhyno?

Really enjoyed Braun/Roman and Alexa/Sasha. The finishes were Blah but the matches were good. Hope both feuds continue.

This was one of those shows where the heels all won, right? I guess Heath Slater won, off screen, and Sasha won by count out, but Alexa kept the belt.

I know WCW did this all the time, but how often does WWE give us all heel everything?