DVDVR Message Board

Top 10 Stables/Families of all time

Can't believe nobody listed the Varsity Club. In 88 I loved them, everything they did was brutal and creepy. Best thing was how Sullivan starts off pretty normal, just like a coach. But by the week he gets creepier and creepier, by March he is wearing bondage gear. Mike Rotunda and Rick Steiner are doing this almost Leave It To Beaver thing in promos. 

When Rick was kicked out and Dr,Death joined, it felt like any other wrestling gang, but a high end one. 

1, Horsemen

I am including all incarnations. The Roma one is the only version I would say was bad. Mongo brought a ton of enthusiasm and felt like a Horsemen. I think he helped in late 98 by adding some size to the group when fighting the Horsemen. I have a lot of memories of the Sid version, I still think Flair made that knot lose to sabotage him vs Sting. It also kinda threw off the dynamic with Arn as the Enforcer with a giant psycho there. 

2, Varsity Club

See above

3. Triple Threat

This would mostly be for the second incarnation in 1996 with Shane, Candido, Brian Lee and later Bigelow

Thought they worked as a group of equals. Raven's Nest would not qualify as they were cannon fodder for Raven. Dudleys were a tag team with extra members. I liked how a lot of their storylines connected. Its too bad it fell apart when Bigelow left for WCW,

Beyond that it is hard to choose. Haven't seen enough of the Stud Stable past Memphis and WCW. I still outright hate nWo and think the Hogan heel turn (and a cool shirt design} carried them. Things happened too easily for them. So often I think "Why is nobody helping?" when a WCW guy is being ganged up on. 

The nWo Elite in early 99 showed promise. Until they fail back into the same crap. 

Edit: Oh my god I forgot the Dangerous Alliance. I guess Heyman has been such a crummy manager recently, I forgot how great he was. 

• Like 1

On 2017-6-7 at 11:48 PM, Victator said:

Mike Rotunda and Rick Steiner are doing this almost Leave It To Beaver thing in promos. 

When Rick was kicked out and Dr,Death joined, it felt like any other wrestling gang, but a high end one. 

Why did Sullivan insist that to be in the Varsity Club, you had to name your firstborn son 'Windham'?