DVDVR Message Board

Top 10 Stables/Families of all time

1. 4 Horseman (original)
2. NWO (Hall/Nash/Hogan)
3. Heenan AWA Family (Bockwinkel/Stevens/Lanza/Duncan)
4. Holy Demon Army
5. Stud Stable (Ron Fuller/Golden/Arn)
6. Rose's Army
7. 4 Horseman (Flair/Arn/Tully/Windham)
8. Burning (Akiyama/Kobashi/Shiga/Kanemaru)
9. Army of Darkness
10. J-Tex Corporation
Left a few deserving ones out, but a top 10 list might be too short.

Okay, I doubt I could stretch to more than five so I would go:

1- Four Horseman (Flair, Windham, Arn, Tully) - though they didn't run roughshod like the original did, this is an unbeatable level of talent who were all in or around their prime

2- nWo - I didn't mind them adding every other wrestler to the group as it made sense as they were taking over, so as such up until the Wolfpac split I'm all in with the nWo as them and Sting were my main reasons for watching WCW. They dominated, it was fun, it was cool (for a brief period)

3- Dangerous Alliance - I feel like they're a bit overstated as a group these days as they weren't around for any great length of time and there wasn't even much of a break-up just an odd drifting apart, but as with my Horseman choice the level of talent involved and their involvement in multiple angles against equally talented foils really made them

4- Degeneration X - Again, as a 14 year old at the time these were the coolest debauched and funny mother fuckers around. Like an r-rated nWo, I only really liked the Triple H, HBK, Chyna, Rude version of the group as they really seemed to be pushing the envelope constantly. Also, awesome theme music. I didn't mind it when Triple H took the reigns and brought Kid back, but I refuse to talk about the middle-aged men version burying the Spirit Squad.

5- Stud Stable - I only saw the WCW incarnation but they were a badass bunch of dudes and their harassment of Dustin Rhodes and that whole storyline was fantastic

1. Four Horseman (original)

2. NWO (Hall, Nash, Hogan)

3. Heenan AWA Family

4. Dangerous Alliance (Arn / Eaton / Austin)

5. Bullet Club (Omega led)

6. D-Generation X

7. Stud Stable (Ron Fuller/Golden/Arn)

8. Evolution (HHH, Orton, Batista, Flair)

9. Triple Threat (Bigelow / Candido / Douglas)

10. Legion of Doom (Road Warriors / Jake Roberts / King Kong Bundy)

Honorable Mention:  The First Family

Holy Demon Army shouldn't count as they were just a tag team. The rule should be at least three people in the group. 

1. Four Horsemen

2. Kaientai Deluxe

3. Dangerous Alliance

4. Ishin Gundan/Choshu's Army

5. the OG UWF stable

6. AWA Heenan Family

7. Los Brazos (holy shit nobody has even mentioned them and they are an ACTUAL FAMILY) 

8. Los Villanos (ditto)

9. The Fabulous Freebirds

10. Team No Respect

• Like 1

I was beaten to Team No Respect!!!!!!

1) Four Horsemen (Flair, Arn, Tully, Barry version)

2) AWA Heenan Family

3) New World Order* (Savage or Syxx were the last additions I want to include in this)

4) Fabulous Freebirds

5) KARACHI VICE

6) Hart Foundation

7) Dangerous Alliance

8) Stud Stable, Continental years, but not the stretch where they added Dr. Tom and started acting like knockoff Horsemen

9) Team No Respect

10) Los Brazos

• Like 1

You beat me to the Hart Foundation, who should probably be way up on my list, so we're even

"My lovable brother, Owen"... man, Bret was such a good heel when he was motivated. If only everything hadn't gone the way it did. That run was so good and I was 100% behind them and against groups like DX and the NWO, though DX did entertain me at times, me being a kid and them being so sleazy. 

• Like 1

I will be ignoring the original premise and simply listing stables not yet named out of a desire to end posts just trying to come up with stuff that hasn't been mentioned. They will be in the order that I think of them.

1. Los Ingobernables
  2. Los Ingobernables de Japon
  3. Kings of Wrestling
  4. Bruderschaft des Kreuzes
  5. Raven's Nest (ECW)
  6. The Flock (WCW)
  7. Crazy MAX
  8. Sweet 'n' Sour Inc.
  9. CHAOS
  10. Holy balls did no one say The Shield yet?
  • Like 2

I'll try keeping up with Cristobal's conception of throwing in stables which I imagine and which haven't been named yet. In my opinion, there have been mentioned many good picks already. Stables like the Hart Foundation, NWO for the first year or so and the original 4 Horsemen would very likely be in my Top 10. So two Japanese factions I'd definetly consider worth mentioning.

Super Generation Army: Basically this is 3 out of All Japan's four corners of heaven. Part of a great series of trios, Tags and Singles matches. Later lead into multiple years of fantastic matches and rivalries among former group members.

Tsuruta-gun: Those guys would be the adversary to SGA. It's not simply a veteran group opposing those young up-and-comers, especially with the later addition of Akira Taue. Tsuruta was an absolute star-maker and helped immensly in putting over the generation that would carry All Japan to new heights.

Riki Choshu's army in the mid 80ies is widely regarded as being a revolution in heavyweight wrestling, but there are probably others who could put their achievements into better perspective. I didn't see much of those guys.

Since we also had a few mentions aside the wrestling mainstream: If I'd look at contemporary wrestling in Europe, Ringkampf could be an interesting pick. I haven't seen nearly enough, but they have a no-nonsense aura that works so well. I know there are very competent wrestlers in that group. Not sure about their impact on the Indypendents in general, though. 

The original incarnation of Generation Next (Shelley, Aries, Strong, Evans)

Without them, ROH probably dies after TNA pulls their guys after the RF incident. Plus, Shelley being kicked out led to the classic Aries/Shelley title match at Manhattan Mayhem and the Generation Next/Embassy angle, which culminated in a great Steel Cage Warfare.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

1. Four Horseman (original)

2. NWO (Hall, Nash, Hogan)

3. Heenan AWA Family

4. Dangerous Alliance (Arn / Eaton / Austin)

5. Bullet Club (Omega led)

6. D-Generation X

7. Stud Stable (Ron Fuller/Golden/Arn)

8. Evolution (HHH, Orton, Batista, Flair)

9. Triple Threat (Bigelow / Candido / Douglas)

10. Legion of Doom (Road Warriors / Jake Roberts / King Kong Bundy)

Honorable Mention:  The First Family

Buzz Sawyer was also a member of the Legion Of Doom with the Roadies & Roberts.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned the Ministry of Darkness yet. For shame. I guess it got overshadowed by morphing into the Corporate Ministry which was utter balls, but the original Ministry where they abducted jobbers and turned them into monsters was great - you had the Acolytes, Midion and his eye in a jar, Viscera. I also felt it helped elevate the Brood in its own way too plus Takers look during this time was evil personified

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Might be splitting hairs, but i would not think a three man unit (freebirds, shield, new day) is a stable. 

I would say Freebirds and New Day came across like tag teams with a substitute member. Same could be said for Demolotion.

Shield I could perceive as a stable, they were in Trios, but also in singles programmes, it seemed to me.

12 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

No one has mentioned the Ministry of Darkness yet. For shame. I guess it got overshadowed by morphing into the Corporate Ministry which was utter balls, but the original Ministry where they abducted jobbers and turned them into monsters was great - you had the Acolytes, Midion and his eye in a jar, Viscera. I also felt it helped elevate the Brood in its own way too plus Takers look during this time was evil personified

I loved the Ministry before the corporate merger. The Brood were a good fit for The Ministry, but I liked when they stood up to Taker when he was going to flog Christian. 

1) Four Horsemen (Flair, Arn, Tully, Barry version) This version of the Horsemen was the best thing ever. Who knew that the all-American Texas babyface, Barry Windham could portray a smirking, arrogant heel so well? I do love Ole, but his time was past, and Windham was a huge upgrade over anything else they ever did.

2. Dangerous Alliance with Arn, Eaton, Zbysko. Without Larry, it's just not as cool.Short-lived though it was, Arn and Bobby may just have been the greatest tag-team that North America will ever see.

• Like 1

I think the Dudley Boys in ECW count, they started as a comedy group but once Bubba and Devon showed it the game changed. Bubba and Devon did most the wrestling but it was the whole presentation that made it work. It's was Bubba and Devon but it was also Joel Gertner, Big Dick Dudley and Sign Guy Dudley that helped generate the heat and get the act over. I don't know if I explained my reason good or not but I think The ECW incarnation of the Dudley Boys needs to be on this list somewhere. Maybe number 10 maybe even 11. But they deserve some credit.