DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Battle of the Network Stars was the motherfucking best and some of my earliest earliest memories

The Greatest Tug of War ever???

Not even close to the best Tug of War. Dammit, Rippa, I covered this!

http://www.terrachimp.com/great-battles-that-changed-america-the-night-we-lost-our-innocence-batlle-of-the-network-stars-1977/

Also that time Mr. T turned Simon Says into a referendum on America:

http://www.terrachimp.com/the-battles-that-defined-the-modern-world-the-battle-of-the-network-stars/

• Like 1

Good God, 'The Carmicheal Show' is incredible.  So far this season has had a main character wonder if worry that he raped someone; had a family member want to commit suicide before Alzheimer's took over her life, and had an episode where the entire point of the episode is that everyone is superficial.  And every one of those episodes has been hilarious.  David Alan Grier deserves an Emmy so bad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caley said:

Good God, 'The Carmicheal Show' is incredible.  So far this season has had a main character wonder if worry that he raped someone; had a family member want to commit suicide before Alzheimer's took over her life, and had an episode where the entire point of the episode is that everyone is superficial.  And every one of those episodes has been hilarious.  David Alan Grier deserves an Emmy so bad.

I have found Jerrod Carmichael's stand-up to be okay, but not gut busting hilarious.

His obvious calling is being a comedy writer because this show is fucking brilliant.

• Like 2

For the Leftovers fans here, how similar is the series to Lost? I saw that comparison somewhere else and it got my attention. Is that accurate? If I loved Lost, would I enjoy the Leftovers? 

I kinda wish Orphan Black hadn't

Spoiler

killed off MK.  She was a fairly intriguing character they didn't do much with.  Also, killing off one of the less-featured clones at this stage of the game is kinda cheap since there's no much in the way of audience attachment.

If I didn't love this show, anything involving Allison, Helena, and Donny would be a channel-changer at this point.  I actually like Helena's arc with the pregnancy, but pairing her with Allison and Donny is tiresome.  Is Helena's mind damaged?  You'd think Allison would have managed to civilize her by now, at least a little bit.  She hasn't really evolved beyond "feral killer".  When the pregnancy angle began, they hinted that maternal instinct would evolve the character.  I guess it sort of has, but not in a relevant way.  And the gimmick where Helena pretends to be Allison for insurance purposes or whatever is played out - much like everything else involving Allison and Donnie (for me, anyway).  

All that said, I'm curious how they end the show.  Ferdinand is going to be the one to do Rachel in, isn't he?  He showed a surprising level of rage in this week's ep.  That's got to go somewhere.

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I kinda wish Orphan Black hadn't

Reveal hidden contents

killed off MK.  She was a fairly intriguing character they didn't do much with.  Also, killing off one of the less-featured clones at this stage of the game is kinda cheap since there's no much in the way of audience attachment.

If I didn't love this show, anything involving Allison, Helena, and Donny would be a channel-changer at this point.  I actually like Helena's arc with the pregnancy, but pairing her with Allison and Donny is tiresome.  Is Helena's mind damaged?  You'd think Allison would have managed to civilize her by now, at least a little bit.  She hasn't really evolved beyond "feral killer".  When the pregnancy angle began, they hinted that maternal instinct would evolve the character.  I guess it sort of has, but not in a relevant way.  And the gimmick where Helena pretends to be Allison for insurance purposes or whatever is played out - much like everything else involving Allison and Donnie (for me, anyway).  

All that said, I'm curious how they end the show.  Ferdinand is going to be the one to do Rachel in, isn't he?  He showed a surprising level of rage in this week's ep.  That's got to go somewhere.

I like the show and plan to stick with it through the end of the season, but I'm totally with you on the Donny and Allison stuff being total garbage.  Using them to interject some levity into the show is understandable but all their plotlines come off as tired sitcom bullshit.  None of it is funny or endearing, it just serves to add unnecessary padding to the show and the gimmick of the other clones pretending to be her and the lame suburban couple getting involved in dangerous underworld situations is not entertaining or amusing at all.  The Castor clones angle also made it drag a bit for me, mainly because it's the same deal as the female clones but nowhere near as interesting and the male actor doesn't have near the acting chops.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎17 at 7:11 AM, J.T. said:

I have found Jerrod Carmichael's stand-up to be okay, but not gut busting hilarious.

His obvious calling is being a comedy writer because this show is fucking brilliant.

You are correct sir. This show really deserves to be in the main season schedule, and not just tossed out there every summer.

• Like 2

Hey, guess what? Dolph Ziggler is horrible. Hardwick casted down to his level AND kept him on instead of giving him the red light because he's a nice guy. We should all be so positive, but... naw, fuck that. That episode was awful and he was awful. Yuck.

EDIT: In stark contrast the Monday ep with the Ru Paul's Drag Race queens CRUSHED it

• Like 1

Ok, I have to walk back (a bit) everything I've said lately about Alison and Donnie on Orphan Black.  Very strong episode Alison-centric episode last night.  I laughed a couple times when Donnie passed out during the Highland dancing (Alison inadvertently drugged him) and the episode did a lot to make them seem like useful characters.  Seems odd to write Alison out though, unless that plotline is going to go somewhere unexpected.  I assume it's a time crunch and they need more time for the other clones' storylines to play out?

Completely forgot who was buried in the Hendrix's garage.  Was I the only one expecting the grave to be inexplicably empty?  

• Like 1

You were not. It was nice to see Alison actually do something. I don't have near as much a problem with them as others though I can understand the arguments of them being overused. This was definitely the best episode for them in a long time.

Bill Burr came on and Colbert kinda sandbagged him with a bad intro and generally made sure the interview was as awkward as possible. Burr added to that by delivering humor that the Colbert audience didn't like. 

I haven't watched much Bill Burr, but I just watched that interview and it seemed fine to me. He was fidgety but I assumed that was his stage character.  And the way the punch lines sort of crumbled was actually effective, like that was part of his normal delivery too to just hint at the punch line like "But do we need a whole store?" Or "I was laughing that she was dressed ridiculously...she just happened to be a lesbian."  Those were funny deliveries. It all seemed perfectly "on brand."

In fact it seemed really rote. Colbert walked him through the planned bits and laughed at the jokes and they ran a clip. Colbert did seem a little stiff in the way Letterman always was when interviewing someone "loose cannon" like Pekar or Norm MacDonald but that may have been just to play the straight man for him.

If you haven't seen Burr shut down a heckler with malicious intent then go look it up. I think he goes on a rant that shits on the whole city and the crowd is ready for his head at the end of it. IIRC he starts counting down the minutes he has left onstage in between insults. It's just vicious.

So I watched Burr on Colbert's show. Uh, I have no idea what any of you guys are even talking about. I didn't think any of that was awkward. Seemed like typical late night talk show fodder. Burr seemed like how he always is on Conan, Rogan's podcast, Sam Roberts and Jim Norton's show, etc.