DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Orange is the New Black S5 went up a few days ago (yesterday?) and I've already binged through the entire season. Didn't even mean to, I thought  there was like 2 or 3 more episodes left after what turned out to be the season finale. So, I'm finally watching Dr. Strange in HD but that's not why I'm in this thread.This is probably the best season of OITNB so far. Some really powerful stuff mixed in with it's usual comedy. MVP of the season is definitely Danielle Brooks (Taystee).

I've also been making my way through a lot of missed episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. For reference, the last episode I watched was the crossover with New Girl. So, that gives you an idea on how many episodes I've missed :P Still one of the funniest shows on TV, great ensemble cast for a network comedy too.

Quickly running out of TV to watch, and my vacation is coming up in about 2 weeks. I might actually be forced to go out into the real world, noooo~!

21 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Last season of Orphan Black begins tonight.

Solid first episode but yeah, time to wrap up this series.

I will miss Cosima Niehaus.

• Like 1

Epix's new take on Elmore Leonard's Get Shorty:

Same situation, but brand new characters.

Does not have the charm of Elmore's iconic character, loan shark Chlli Palmer, but that is kinda good since Travolta nails the character in 1995 feature film.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I feel like it's still very good creatively.  I didn't get into season 3 as much, but wisely they depushed the Castor clones after that.  The actor playing the Castor's is ok, but doesn't have near Maslany's range.  Kinda glad that the last season is taking the mythology in a new direction.  It's gotten too hard remembering all the details of what went down during the earlier seasons, after a year-long break.

Never dug Cosina, myself, though her story arc has been very good and still has some legs.  I could do with less Alison and Donny.  They mined that couple out a few seasons back.  Alison barely appeared last night and that was too much screen time for me.

I'm wondering how tall the actress playing Art's new partner is.  Kevin Hanchard is listed as 5'10" and she appeared to tower over him during their scene in the police station.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Its a nice start to the end run. I think the show is still good, but its definitely about time for the end. I like that they are getting back to the mass cult side of things they hinted to back in S1.

Amazon Prime is adding two new series to its streaming service line-up.

One is a television series based on Hanna, the 2011 action thriller that starred Saorise Ronan as a teen assassin raised by her CIA handler. 

The second is a US adaptation of the UK sci-comedy, Misfits, about a group of juvenile delinquents that gain super powers after being exposed to a strange electrical storm.

Some of you may remember that Misfits was originally bound for Freeform TAFKA ABC Family, but they passed on it.

I'm interested in seeing how Hanna shakes out, but I'd really prefer it if Amazon just got the rights to broadcast the five seasons of the original Misfits television series shown in the UK.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

The second is a US adaptation of the UK sci-comedy, Misfits, about a group of juvenile delinquents that gain super powers after being exposed to a strange electrical storm.

I only remember the green-eyed girl from Misfits, but let's face it she's not someone I'd forget.

After some googling, I found out she's engaged to fucking Ramsey Bolten, and now my entire life is ruined.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I only remember the green-eyed girl from Misfits, but let's face it she's not someone I'd forget.

After some googling, I found out she's engaged to fucking Ramsey Bolten, and now my entire life is ruined.

I didn't know Antonia Thomas was with him. She has a thing for really pale white dudes it seems. 

Don't know how new it is, but I just learned of an app called Britbox, apparently made by the BBC and itv with a boatload of content, including most of classic who and loads of notable things like blackadder, young ones, are you being served, abfab and more. 

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story will now be the 2nd installment of the American Crime Story series (first one was the People vs. OJ Simpson)

Penelope Cruz is playing Donatella Versace

It is supposed to be out sometime in early 2018

Katrina: American Crime Story will now be the third installment and will air sometime next year

12 hours ago, zev said:

What a glorious cast list we have here:

http://tvline.com/2017/06/12/battle-of-the-network-stars-cast-taye-diggs-john-barrowman-abc/

Ponch and Jon from CHiPs teaming with The Renegade. And a partial West Wing reunion.

Every time I hear about the Battle of the Network Stars reboot, I can't help but think of Red Forman on That 70's Show discussing how he needs to see Ed Asner get hit in the face on a yearly basis.

• Like 1

ABC's whole lineup of summer game shows is pretty fun.

I'm always a sucker for Celeb Family Feud and stuck around for Steve Harvey's new shark tank ripoff and $100,000 pyramid, which Michael Strahan was a shockingly competent host for.  it was also great for the hot, super-intense contestant that made LL Cool J go from a "I'm totally banging this chick after the show" vibe to "Oh God if I get a question wrong this crazy chick is going to kill me" within 10 minutes. 

This season of Food Network Star seems to have some interesting people on it. but the last few seasons has really turned into give Matthew every shot to get his shit together because they obviously want this dude on the network. 

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

Every time I hear about the Battle of the Network Stars reboot, I can't help but think of Red Forman on That 70's Show discussing how he needs to see Ed Asner get hit in the face on a yearly basis.

I think that episode's on POP TV today. The one with Jamie Farr guest starring, right?

16 hours ago, zev said:

What a glorious cast list we have here:

http://tvline.com/2017/06/12/battle-of-the-network-stars-cast-taye-diggs-john-barrowman-abc/

Ponch and Jon from CHiPs teaming with The Renegade. And a partial West Wing reunion.

Are people like Ted Lange, Fred Dryer and Anson Williams really going to compete? I get the nostalgia kick but they're all pretty old. I'm assuming Tom Arnold undercut someone on the appearance fee to get on this.

I love me some old Battle of the Network Stars and it's syndicated rip-off cousin Star Games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story will now be the 2nd installment of the American Crime Story series (first one was the People vs. OJ Simpson)

Penelope Cruz is playing Donatella Versace

It is supposed to be out sometime in early 2018

Katrina: American Crime Story will now be the third installment and will air sometime next year

Speaking of limited/miniseries casting, Taylor Kitsch was casted to play David Koresh and Melissa Benoist as Rachel Koresh in "Waco" for Spike TV (well Paramount Network). Michael Shannon, Andrea Riseborough, John Leguizamo, Shea Whigham, and Paul Sparks are also part of the cast.

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Are people like Ted Lange, Fred Dryer and Anson Williams really going to compete? I get the nostalgia kick but they're all pretty old. I'm assuming Tom Arnold undercut someone on the appearance fee to get on this.

That Sci-Fi/Fantasy team is incredible -  Lou Ferrigno, Vinnie Jones & Kevin Sorbo with Charisma Carpenter and Jill Wager as eye candy.  Good Lord.

Saw a commercial for it today. They're including events such as Golf and Archery.

But yes, the Tug of War is back. As is the yellow jackets worn by the announcers.