DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The rapping grandma worked up to 100.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0016687/

Connie Sawyer appeared on Ray Donovan and The New Girl at age 102. Her episode of New Girl was titled "Oldest Woman in the World."

Stage actor George Abbott worked into his 100s.

Swiss actor Lukas Ammann worked to 104.

Larry Storch is still doing occasional standup at 94 which is a special kind of stamina.

Speaking of the rappin grannie, Ellen Albertini. I just turned on B Movie TV and saw her in 1985 in AMERICAN DRIVE-IN playing an unbelievably old lady.

She was still working almost 30 years after that until 2013.

Also AMERICAN DRIVE-IN is amazing USA Up All Night material.

If you're keeping track of those old ass people above in this thread, George Abbott was directing Maureen O'Sullivan, Mia Farrow's mom while 16 year old Mia Farrow was having her weird obsessive friendship with Salvador Dali, being given strange tours of the underbelly of New York. This was just before she started seeing Frank Sinatra...who was trying to get over Ava Gardner...who had previously had an affair with Mia Farrow's dad.

Mia Farrow's "awkward years" were fucking madness.

• Like 3

By most accounts, Mia Farrow has never really been all there to my understanding. I mean growing in Hollywood during that period must have been wild and insane and when factor in all the bananas shit with her mother and father she should be even more completely bonkers than she already is

James

I can't fault her for any of those at the time.  Yes they're an odd bunch collectively but

- Andre Previn is a maniacally great conductor, especially of opera. Although he did seem to collect troubled women too. Hello, Dory Previn! Do you still think Sydney Poitier is following you?

- Who among you wouldn't move in with Frank Sinatra in Palm Springs if he asked you? And when he told you to quite making Rosemary's, baby, who among you wouldn't tell him to fuck right off?

- Poor Salvador Dali must have been fun to hang out with and was never going to let you go beyond platonic anyways. There is no night in my life that I wouldn't trade a quick handy for a chance to flounce about with Salvador Fucking Dali!

- At the time Woody Allen seemed pretty cool, no?

- Let's not forget how hard the Maharishi tried to mack on her and for that she was like "Um...hey John Lennon, can you get me the fuck out of this ashram?"

• Like 1

I think that's the idea. Ballers plays off of whatever is happening in real life. When they started coming up with stories for season 3, Las Vegas getting a football team seemed like a sure thing. So in the show it will make it look like Spencer was partially responsible for getting a team in Vegas.

That, or you mean that the suspense for pulling that off is gone considering Las Vegas is getting a team.

Either way, I fully expect a season full of mediocrity, where nothing bad happens to any of the characters and everything works out nicely, and I just won't be able to stop watching for some stupid reason.

• Like 1

Oh, finished up season 3 of 12 Monkeys. That was AWESOME. I think too many people are sleeping on this show. I don't want to say anything about the finale because that will give too much away, but it's so good.

The new season of F Is For Family is fucking amazing. Of all the tv shows and movies that try and capture what the Seventies were like, it's the most dead on take I've ever seen. At least what my childhood was like. And it's fucking hilarious.

7 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new season of F Is For Family is fucking amazing. Of all the tv shows and movies that try and capture what the Seventies were like, it's the most dead on take I've ever seen. At least what my childhood was like. And it's fucking hilarious.

The second season is great. I really hope they make a Colt Luger board game.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Fox cancelled 24: Legacy.  I didn't think the show was horrible, but they ran things boringly by the numbers with a totally brand new cast.

I liked the first half of the season, but the back half was very formulaic.  Fox is in talks with the producers to reboot the show again and make it more of an anthology with leads varying from season to season. That makes a lot more sense than Jack Bauer having 24 hours to save the world once every year, but I feel like they've really mined out the concept.  And they seem to be thinking of keeping the showrunner/producers/writing staff intact even though this show probably needs a fresh take behind the camera to liven it up.

Speaking of livening things up, just realized Designated Survivor has a new showrunner for season 2.  That makes 4 showrunners so far.  Maybe new guy can decide what the show is supposed to be - political drama or 24: A Different Network.

Count me in with thinking 24 would greatly benefit from the anthology treatment. Controversial opinion with everyone so hot for 'event' series but I really think it needs to return to a 24 episode run too, especially if they go down the anthology route. I enjoyed Legacy but it was in one hell of a rush