DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Hell or High Water was pretty good. The end of many things were obviously inevitable, but getting to them was fun. Jeff Bridges channeling Dick Murdoch though looking like Stan Hansen, and at some points channeling the Dude (no cowboy would put their hat on their boot, man) was especially entertaining. What the film has to say about the current nature of American capitalism and society is spilled all over the screen and there's no way to complain about that in a Frank and Jesse James redux. 

I also have to add I watched it with my dad and that was some prime family viewing right there

• Like 1

The Battle of Algiers is on TCM right now, and I advise you to not watch it if you have a positive view of humanity and civilization, because it will ruin it. It's also decades before its time and brilliant, but it underlines that nobody ever wins where this sociopolitical shit is concerned. Nobody. Revolutionaries become murderers, anti-Nazi military become Nazis. It's a very real horror film. 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Battle of Algiers is on TCM right now, and I advise you to not watch it if you have a positive view of humanity and civilization, because it will ruin it. It's also decades before its time and brilliant, but it underlines that nobody ever wins where this sociopolitical shit is concerned. Nobody. Revolutionaries become murderers, anti-Nazi military become Nazis. It's a very real horror film. 

I just watched it maybe three months ago. I wouldn't say nobody wins necessarily because in a fight for independence, there is going to be a ton of bloodshed. That's what comes with it. When it comes to independence, it ain't any rules of engagement. Just forget that shit. I think Battle of Algiers dealt with the harsh realities of that.

I mean you look at most of the countries of Africa (except for like Liberia and Ethiopia, which was colonized for only a short period time twice IIRC) after the Scramble for Africa and that's the only way those nations could get free from imperialist European countries (with Namibia, it was Germany pre WW1 with the first ever concentration camp AND then South Africa enacting Apartheid over there). A lot of the future leaders were Western educated, military people. The only way to get rid of violent, tyrannical people? Sic other violent, tyrannical people on them especially seeing that's what they knew growing up under European rule. If my only frame of reference is a dictator, the way I'm going to rule is as a dictator. In countries like the Congo (aka the DRC), you had people like Patrice Lumumba who was an awesome human being but he didn't follow the orders dictated to him by Western powers. So the United States had him assassinated and what followed was dictators. That happened in quite a few countries in that continent. Either way you go, whether it's diplomacy or warfare, it's a losing proposition especially if you're not willing to be a puppet.

Speaking of Lumumba, I watched The Siege of Jadotville on Netflix right around the time I saw The Battle of Algiers. I'm pretty sure the reason why I didn't enjoyed the film was because the first few minutes revolves around Patrice Lumumba being assassinated. He is portrayed in the film for 30 seconds at most. I think this film wasn't trying to be a white savior film as much as it unintentionally turned into one. You have very little context to make you give a shit about the Congo at that time. Most importantly, it makes Lumumba seem like just another African leader. If you have no prior knowledge of the subject, you would think the history of the country started when a bunch of Irish people went to the Congo for a mission. I wasn't that enthused watching a bunch of white people play hero in an African country and African people have no involvement. It comes as so tone deaf but then again I'm not expecting much when it comes to white people dealing (meaning directing, producing, or writing) with African history in any parts of the world.

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Battle of Algiers is on TCM right now, and I advise you to not watch it if you have a positive view of humanity and civilization, because it will ruin it. It's also decades before its time and brilliant, but it underlines that nobody ever wins where this sociopolitical shit is concerned.

Yeah, I posted in the THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~! countdown thread that it was coming on.

On Thursday, June 08, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Raziel403 said:

FTFY

I recently introduced my mother (who's battled insomnia off and on most of her life) to Jeff Bridges' Sleep Tapes and she now cannot go to bed without Jeff Bridges playing over her headphones.

In case you're unaware, here's the best track (And puts me to sleep 95% of the time)

I just watched John Wick: Chapter 2. I was a big fan of the first movie; the action scenes in that one were so much fun. The action scenes here were boring at best and too convoluted or downright silly at worst. I didn't mind the story of the first movie either, but the story here was just plain silly. (Granted, you could say that about the first one as well, but this was worse). I did enjoy the world-building, though.

Spoiler

I wished Winston had simply killed John on the square at the end. It would have been more consistent with the rules that had been laid down, and it would have been a bold decision too.

Also, how many fucking professional hitmen are there? You can't swing a cat without hitting one, it seems.

Glad to see Ruby Rose, although I wish there had been more of her. I've got an adolescent crush on her.

Once you realize Ruby Rose looks like a young DiCaprio, especially in John Wick, there goes your boner.

I enjoyed 2 but liked 1 better.  How many "flying armbar into shooting a guy" is too many?  It felt like playing the X-men side scroller on MAME with unlimited quarters where I can just keep spamming my special over and over.

I enjoyed the gun fu well enough in Wick 2.  I've accepted from the movie's mythology that assassins are the superheroes of this comic book universe of secret criminal cabals, blood rituals, and what not.

I'm just not sure where John Wick 3 goes.  Apparently the entire world is after him, he has no allies except for his dog, and the bounty has been doubled to 14 million.  Maybe a crossover with The Equalizer where Wick hires Robert McCall?

For all the world building they've done with this criminal underworld and the super assassins that work for them, the logic of the film is shaky.  How could this organization have no safeguards in place for a situation where a crime boss orders a hit on a hitman after a job has been completed?  1) You'd think this situation would have happened before and 2) you'd think all hitmen would be hesitant to take jobs with that as a possible outcome.

But it's easy to ignore this logic gap when the movie is this slick and fun.

"A FUCKING PENCIL!"

Just read the Wikipedia summary of the Mummy.  Holy shit, it's apparently terrible, but I so want to see this film now.  Secret societies led by Henry Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde, ancient gods, zombies, and am ambiguous ending that has Tom Cruise possibly becoming a big bad later on....  Take my money!

That said, the movie is apparently terrible, so I'll wait for DVD.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Once you realize Ruby Rose looks like a young DiCaprio, especially in John Wick, there goes your boner.

I enjoyed 2 but liked 1 better.  How many "flying armbar into shooting a guy" is too many?  It felt like playing the X-men side scroller on MAME with unlimited quarters where I can just keep spamming my special over and over.

1) I hate you.

2) That was another annoyance as well. So many takedowns. There was one really blatantly stupid one near the end where it seemed like one of the actors missed his cue and Keanu Reeves must have thought, 'I need to stall for time. Better do a completely unnecessary takedown on this corpse.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

How is Me'Shell the only black man that hasn't aged well?

Plenty of the old R&B dudes from the mid 80s to early 90s. But then again, cocaine (both hard and soft) and all sorts of wild living will do that to anyone.

DAMMIT PEOPLE, I just google image searched "beatrice dalle" and the Gone Girl picture was in the third fucking row of images.

This is like It Follows or something, right? Does anyone else have this happening? Why isn't everyone on earth discussing this????

On 6/11/2017 at 2:02 AM, piranesi said:

Can anyone explain why, for months now, when I image search almost any movie or actor name somewhere in the first page of images is this same picture from Gone GIRL?

1646103_300.jpg

I just searched for Diane Franklin (because NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHY I NEEDED PICTURES OF DIANE FRANKLIN) and THERE IT WAS.

It is starting to terrify me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Plenty of the old R&B dudes from the mid 80s to early 90s. But then again, cocaine (both hard and soft) and all sorts of wild living will do that to anyone.

The commercial featuring Boyz II Men I saw today bears this out

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The commercial featuring Boyz II Men I saw today bears this out

K-Ci & Jo-Jo and Bobby Brown back in the day could fuck any girl or woman in your neighborhood. Nowadays..oh boy. K-Ci in particular looks like a mini version of pre workout regimen Dave Chappelle. There is an old video from 2008 of him riding his security guard's shoulders in the crowd, grabbing a chicken strip out of a fan's bucket, and eating it while being clearly sauced out of his mind.

With Bobby Brown, it's always been obvious especially around the time of the reality show with Whitney and Bobbi Kristina. He went from a sex icon to basically looking like one of my country ass uncles everytime I pop into town to visit an aunt. Like he has been doing triple duty riding a lawnmower cutting grass in 100 degree Mississippi heat, pulling a transmission, and going back and forth in and out of the his house skinning catfish. He looked ROUGH.

I think all of them have cleaned up their act (via several reality rehab shows and the like), but they ain't getting that youthful look back anytime soon.

1646103_300.jpg

14 hours ago, piranesi said:

DAMMIT PEOPLE, I just google image searched "beatrice dalle" and the Gone Girl picture was in the third fucking row of images.

This is like It Follows or something, right? Does anyone else have this happening? Why isn't everyone on earth discussing this????

You're just being paranoid. That's ridiculous.

20 hours ago, EVA said:

I wonder if this was filmed before or after Stiller and Taylor divorced.

I had totally missed they had split until you said something

I feel like someone might have jinxed them awhile back when we were talking about long time Hollywood couples

Of course - reading stories it seems like the 18 years together really should have been a lot shorter

3 hours ago, Roman said:

1646103_300.jpg

You're just being paranoid. That's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Ace said:

1646103_300.jpg

I'm not even seeing this picture you're talking about. That being said, nobody needs to make an excuse to look up pictures of Diane Franklin.

OH MY GOD EVEN THE IDIOTS IN IT FOLLOWS WERE SO MUCH MORE HELPFUL THAN YOU GUYS!!!!! SOEBODY SEX ME BEFORE ROSAMUND KWON EATS ME!!!!

• Like 3