DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM, piranesi said:

DAMMIT PEOPLE, I just google image searched "beatrice dalle" and the Gone Girl picture was in the third fucking row of images.

This is like It Follows or something, right? Does anyone else have this happening? Why isn't everyone on earth discussing this????

So on this note, I googled 'Beatrice Dalle' and was like "What is he talking about? There's no 'Gone Girl' photo anywhe- oh there it is..."  then did the same with 'Diane Franklin' and...there it was again.  Did you just pass this on to me?

The past two weeks I watched

Ip Man 3: which is great.  I love how it's supposed to be a biopic about the life of Ip Man, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of times in Ip Man's life where he had to fight groups of 20-30 people at a time.  Also, no explanation was given as to why the triad in 1960s Hong Kong was being run by a black boxer with a lisp (And I also love that they didn't even try to cover up Iron Mike's facial tattoo because, you know, that was the style at the time!).  But all of that noise aside, it was pretty amazing.  Donnie Yen is so incredible.  And I loved the gentlemanly fight in the elevator where he defends his wife, fights the guy out of the elevator then down the stairs in time to open the elevator door for his wife at the ground level.

Our Little Sister: which is great.  This was apparently the 2015 Japanese Academy Award for Best Picture which is amazing because it's rated PG, and is just this gentle, kind-hearted movie about three sisters whose family disintegrated after their father left them for another woman, and how when he dies they meet their half-sister and just welcome her in.  It's Hirokazu Koreeda film, so instead of their being giant dramatic moments, it just quietly meanders from season to season, never pushing the drama too far.  I loved it.

Nothing But Trouble: I had vague memories of this from being a kid but figured I hadn't seen it in 25ish years when I noticed it was playing on cable.  I remembered it as being weird but funny.  I was right only on the former.  Chevy Chase is a rich guy who runs afoul of the law in a smalltown and ends up the prisoner of ghoulish Shire Reeve (Dan Aykroyd in lots of spooky makeup) and his crazy family which includes John Candy as his nephew and John Candy as his granddaughter (Or is it his daughter, I forget which).  It's rather macabre, not particularly funny and there's a sequence in the last third of the movie where Digital Underground shows up and plays a song which seems to exist for no other reason than for people to see it and go "Wow that Dan Aykroyd sure is hip!"  A better experience than watching this movie is reading the IMDB trivia page, particularly the part about Roger Ebert hating the movie with a passion.

Kill Zone: is a really weird one.  It looks and sets itself up as a Donnie Yen-Sammo Hung martial arts movie, but it's more of a cops vs. triad dramatic tragedy with three (Admittedly AMAZING) action scenes thrown in.  The end is classic melodrama and makes me wonder how on Earth there is a sequel (With Tony Jaa! Yes!) but it was entertaining.

Doctor Strange: which was actually really good.  The story left me kind of meh but the special effects were awe-inspiring and really fun to watch.  Oddly, when Benedict Cumberbatch does an American accent, he ends up sounding like Steve Coogan which made me imagine Alan Partridge in this story instead which I can't say wouldn't honestly be an improvement.  But it was fun.

13 minutes ago, caley said:

So on this note, I googled 'Beatrice Dalle' and was like "What is he talking about? There's no 'Gone Girl' photo anywhe- oh there it is..."  then did the same with 'Diane Franklin' and...there it was again.  Did you just pass this on to me?

Okay. I think I just bought myself some time. You need to convince some sucke....er, fellow to google Diane Franklin next. If we can get her trending we might just both live through this.

10 hours ago, caley said:

Nothing But Trouble: I had vague memories of this from being a kid but figured I hadn't seen it in 25ish years when I noticed it was playing on cable.  I remembered it as being weird but funny.  I was right only on the former.  Chevy Chase is a rich guy who runs afoul of the law in a smalltown and ends up the prisoner of ghoulish Shire Reeve (Dan Aykroyd in lots of spooky makeup) and his crazy family which includes John Candy as his nephew and John Candy as his granddaughter (Or is it his daughter, I forget which).  It's rather macabre, not particularly funny and there's a sequence in the last third of the movie where Digital Underground shows up and plays a song which seems to exist for no other reason than for people to see it and go "Wow that Dan Aykroyd sure is hip!"  A better experience than watching this movie is reading the IMDB trivia page, particularly the part about Roger Ebert hating the movie with a passion.

I love that movie. It's so gross and weird and Chevy and Demi getting dragged back to their doom over and over again is funny. The Bonestripper, the Judge's gross pale hot dogs, the mazelike mansion, the disgusting giant baby twins (which I think were Aykroyd and Candy under a ton of makeup), Digital Underground (with Tupac!) showing up out of nowhere to play "Do the Humpty-Hump", it's just a madhouse of a film. But yeah, for a comedy... ehhhh not much comedy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

You know how the Mummy is a piece of shit? Tom Cruise might have had a hand in that. . .http://jezebel.com/tom-cruise-micromanaged-the-mummy-into-sucking-says-re-1796132295

It's a weird tact for them to try to throw Cruise under the bus (and that definitely reads like a hit piece based on leaks from people involved in the film.) For one thing, the entire concept was dumb. But also Cruise has achieved  almost unparalleled universal success micromanaging his movies for decades. I don't see that being the problem. 

The Universal rep's comment is art and whoever this press flak is, he's earning every dime.  He absolutely confirms Cruise's over-involvement in the production in the nicest way possible and almost making it sound like a good thing. 

Tom approaches every project with a level of commitment and dedication that is unmatched by most working in our business today. He has been a true partner and creative collaborator, and his goal with any project he works on is to provide audiences with a truly cinematic moviegoing experience.

It's like the time my CIO asked me to write a review of my manager, so I described how great his technical skills were while saying as little as possible about his managerial acumen (because there was none).

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

"Truly cinematic" bwahahahaha

It reminds me of what Leonard Maltin came up with when Kevin Costner asked him in person what he thought of THE POSTMAN after a preview screening:

"It looked great up on that big screen!"

To which Costner replied:

"Exactly! Right! That's what I'm going for!"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Control said:

So, in the Santo movies, is Santo just, like, a superhero? Is he just El  Santo the wrestler who fights evil in and out of the ring?

All of the above.

• Like 1

I am sure it is mentioned somewhere in the comic book folder but that scares me and more eyeballs might see it here

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is coming to blu-ray

• Like 2

Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting

Considering how little he worked to begin with, it isn't that much of a change

His last film - Phantom Thread - is out in December

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting

Considering how little he worked to begin with, it isn't that much of a change

His last film - Phantom Thread - is out in December

Either something happened on the set or he is starting off his Oscar campaign early.

Phantom Thread is his first film/stage/tv credit in five years.  Guessing he didn't like returning to the set. 

Variety article says it's a private matter and he won't be commenting further.

Not really a favorite of mine, but a very talented actor.

So, I watched Split.

Spoiler

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT ENDING!!!! HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone who loved Unbreakable and has looked forward to a follow-up to that for years, I am fucking stoked. Around midway through I started to wonder if this was connected to Unbreakable. Then comes the scene where she has the gun on McAvoy where the dialogue comes straight from Unbreakable, and then that Unbreakable music hits at the pre-credits ending and I started to lose my shit. And then there's the ending in the credits.

"What was his name?"

"Mr. Glass."

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I fucking loved Split.

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm surprised you went this long without having it spoiled!

Someone may want to put their comment in spoilers, but I heard a tiny thing about the movie months ago that I recalled at the end of it. So yeah, I was able to stay pretty much spoiler free. I avoided all reviews of it, didn't watch the Honest Trailer for it, etc. It had a lot of good early buzz that M. Night was good again and the word of mouth from my friends was so good that I pretty much avoided everything until yesterday.