DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I watched The Accountant this week after my brother told me he'd heard it was good.  It is good.  Talking to him later, I said "It's kind of like an autistic 'Taken'" and he laughed because that is the exact same line a friend of his used to recommend the film to him.  I think it was advertised poorly, as the trailers made it seem like Ben Affleck's character was a sinister evil guy, but he's actually quite multi-faceted.  I also dug the depiction of autism, thought it seemed fairly realistic, not Sheldon from 'Big Bang Theory' wacky.

I disagree.  Everything up to 'Ghostbusters' that Feig had done was either excellent (Freaks and Geeks, some incredible episodes of 'Arrested Development', Bridesmaids) or way better than expected (Spy, The Heat).  I think 'Ghostbusters' as a property, is way more action and effects-driven than he could handle.  I didn't think the movie was great - the villain was underdeveloped and boring, the climax was lacking in any sense of tension or importance, and a lot of the jokes felt recycled from previous Feig/McCarthy productions - but I think pointing the blame purely at Feig is pretty ridiculous, especially when it was basically the focal point of the alt-right's unending campaign of shit.  If it had just been a shitty reboot, it would have probably at least made its money back.  That it was a shitty reboot, while having to wade through unending attacks (the campaign to make the trailer the most disliked video in history, Twitter attacks on cast members and the director, and the hacking of Leslie Jones personal material) by a certain segment of horrible people, made it impossible for the film to succeed.

• Like 3

Just re watched Dredd with my wife who had never seen it. It still holds up really well.  Don't know why I don't see this at least once a year since it's such a fun action movie.  My wife was also a big fan of the Fox show, Almost Human which also had Karl Urban in it so she made several comparisons between Dredd and John Kennex.

On 6/4/2017 at 3:40 PM, RIPPA said:

I feel like we had a thread for this but I don't remember where it is

Anyway - apparently Dan Aykroyd is blaming Paul Feig for the failure of the Ghostbusters reboot (and that it isn't getting a sequel)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dan-aykroyd-attacks-ghostbusters-reboot-director-1795796640

He is not wrong. Feig was the big problem with the movie. He can't film action to save his life and he did not get the most out of Leslie Jones comedically. 

I always thought Ben Stiller would have been perfect for this sort of movie. But Stiller would probably know what a shitshow this would be.

A lotta problems would have been eased by making better use of Akroyd and Hudson. 

especially when it was basically the focal point of the alt-right's unending campaign of shit.

I don't think these people have the power you think they do. They talk loud but their numbers are small. I think Sony did the all girl gimmick wanting a built in excuse if it failed. 

So watched Ghost for the first time in decades. Its different than I remembered, The first half is pretty creepy, existing but not being able to interact with the world. Then the second half is a revenge movie. I did forget how gruesome the bad guys death was. 

Anyway I could not help wondering, did Patrick Swayze's character have any family? He seemed young enough his parents would be alive. 

• Like 1

I hate how Ghost is continually sold as a date movie to this very day.

Sure, it's a powerful love story at its core, but it is also a very funny and sometimes very frightening movie.

I especially enjoy Act II when Sam learns how to be a poltergeist from the Subway Ghost.  Probably Vincent Schiavelli's finest performance.

Sure, it's a powerful love story at its core, but it is also a very funny and sometimes very frightening movie.

I especially enjoy Act II when Sam learns how to be a poltergeist from the Subway Ghost.  Probably Vincent Schiavelli's finest performance.

bb_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

bb_1.jpg

I think you have a very cracked rear view when it comes to Buckaroo Banzai.

BLACKS ARE ON THIS PLANET~!  HERE IN-A NEW JERSEY~!

what the fuck did john lithgow just say?

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't seen it since I was like eight (my folks rented it). What I remember most is the shadow ghosts dragging that guy away. So, yeah, pretty scary

I'm thinking the last time I saw it I might have been a similar age. In retrospect the scene you mentioned should have freaked me out a lot more than it actually did back then. I'm going to have to re-watch it now. I liked it so I'm not sure why its takien a decade or more anyways for me to catch it again.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

My brother loves the movie.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Home is where you wear your hat. History is written at night. 

Some of the best stuff is only in the novel, a lot about the Lectroids had hypnotized Welles to use the War of the Worlds broadcast as cover for their invasion. 

Seventh Son was on SyFy a few days ago (I want to say early Saturday).  Yeah, that is a terrible movie.

I'm kinda dumbfounded that Julianne Moore is in that.

Jeff Bridges' old man beard continues to be awesome.

9 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Seventh Son was on SyFy a few days ago (I want to say early Saturday).  Yeah, that is a terrible movie.

I'm kinda dumbfounded that Julianne Moore is in that.

Jeff Bridges' old man beard continues to be awesome.

The effects were shockingly good. I didn't hate it nearly as much as I expected. But it certainly wasn't very good.

Can anyone explain why, for months now, when I image search almost any movie or actor name somewhere in the first page of images is this same picture from Gone GIRL?

1646103_300.jpg

I just searched for Diane Franklin (because NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHY I NEEDED PICTURES OF DIANE FRANKLIN) and THERE IT WAS.

It is starting to terrify me.

• Like 1