DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - JUNE

RIPPA

On 6/24/2017 at 2:55 PM, RIPPA said:

Jays closer Roberto Osuna has disclosed that he is dealing with anxiety and does not know when he will pitch again

Local newspaper ran an article on Osuna (from the AP wire) with the headline "MLB pitcher has serious mental illness".

Yeah.  I don't want to downplay the seriousness of this, but, from the headline, I figured he had been diagnosed as bipolar or some such.

Sports Illustrated ran an article many years ago (a decade ago?  Two?) talking about how stressful the closer's job was and how fast it burns out most guys.  I'm kinda surprised more closers don't develop anxiety disorders.

Massive difference in anxiety disorders and bipolar stuff, but it could be anything. It's best for him to probably keep it private unless he wants to be open about it like a Brandon Marshall who was really messed up and spent tons of money getting treatment.

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

Massive difference in anxiety disorders and bipolar stuff, but it could be anything. It's best for him to probably keep it private unless he wants to be open about it like a Brandon Marshall who was really messed up and spent tons of money getting treatment.

Dontrelle Willis is another guy who had to deal with anxiety issues.  Essentially ended his career.

Read up on Osuna.  It has to be tough and head spinning especially for international players to get into the gring of minor league baseball.  Osuna quit school at 12 to support the family.  Went off to Japan for awhile at 15 or so to pitch.  Got signed at 16 and sent to Canada to start his career.  Blew out his elbow at 17-18.  Wound up in the majors at 20-21 and pitched in the playoffs.  Heavy stuff to deal with.  Times like this you need your parents or older teammates to lean on

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Miguel Montero throws Jake Arrieta under the bus

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19754861/cubs-c-miguel-montero-calls-jake-arrieta-nats-7-stolen-bases

Obviously the surprising thing is he would decide to do it publicly but hey it is also late June and everyone is already bored

As if a guy that has runners 31 for 31 against him has any room to talk; talk about having BALLS. . . .

18 hours ago, DouglasC said:

Fuck. Anthony Young might have been the most Mets pitcher ever.

My dad and I were actually at Shea (against the Cubs, natch) when he broke the consecutive losses record. He went 1-16 in 1993 with an ERA of 3.77... there's "snake-bitten" and then there's THAT.

RIP.

Yeah - he got DFAed but I am sure who ever did the game notes missed that (or they were prepared ahead of time)

Plus he still is technically active

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - he got DFAed but I am sure who ever did the game notes missed that (or they were prepared ahead of time)

Plus he still is technically active

Going the other way, Bartolo is the last Expo standing, right? 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Going the other way, Bartolo is the last Expo standing, right? 

Correct. Since Maicer Izturis retired last year, only Bartolo is left. Also, until he signed with Texas last year, Ian Desmond was the last Expo draftee still with the club. Never played in Montreal, obviously, but he was still kind of an Expo,

Edited by grilledcheese

I hereby declare Vladdy, Jr. an honorary Expo for life, so pretend he was one for the sake of this. Ignore the idiocy of it!

On 6/24/2017 at 2:55 PM, RIPPA said:

Jays closer Roberto Osuna has disclosed that he is dealing with anxiety and does not know when he will pitch again

Anxiety is awful to deal with. I'm having a rougher than usual time with it lately, and it's time for a new psychiatrist and probable medication adjustment or change. Maybe it's a bit of a cliché, but this is best way I can describe living with major depression and anxiety.

Depression is when you don’t care about anything. Anxiety is when you care too much, and overthink everything. Having both is hell.

• Like 2