DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - JUNE

RIPPA

46 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

Would there be any Americans who would like to see the return of the Expos or is it just Canadians who yearn for their return?

I loved the Expos with all my heart. Great caps, fucking tremendously talented players, and in most years, below average attendance. My only question is whether or not Montreal would support them after the nostalgia factor wore off. Like most every expansion team, it's pretty likely that they wouldn't be very good for a handful of years at least.

There are so many guys on my "list of dudes I love" that played in MTL. For whatever reason, it always seemed like I could count on them to build a roster of guys that were my kind of ballplayers.

I'll be in Montreal for their first game back if they ever return.

I'd like to see the Expos return whether it's an expansion team or relocation, the A's and Rays being the most likely candidate. I got an Expos hat when I went to Montreal in 1993.

Fuck the 1994 strike for robbing us of a Yankees/Expos World Series. Of course, I'm happy Tim Raines got two rings with the Yankees.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Jesus, it's almost like we caused it! We are a bunch of jerks.

He hasn't announced his retirememt, so he's still thr last active Expo. Somebody, I don't know who, maybe the Mets will pick him back up.

They could just rename the Nationals to the Expos when they end up licensing their stadium in the future to some company named Expo.

46 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I think the A's have too much history to be renamed as part of a move, but the Rays could be renamed easily. . . .

The same could have been said of the original Senators, but that didn't stop the move to Minnesota. Granted, there's a big difference between 9 WS titles and 1, and the added pressure of stopping a Continental League team from going into the Twin Cities certainly helped.

Good call on the Rays, though. Christ, their original name only lasted what, 10 years?

I'm going to be yelled at by everyone for not seeing this before now, but um.. if you see this before the slate of games for 6/29 complete, stop what you're doing, go to MLB.COM immediately, and get the rest of this year's MLB streaming package for $10. Goes back to $99 tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

I have both Corey Kluber and Jimmy Nelson on my fantasy team. Today was a good day. 

I have Kluber on one of my teams. He put up 65 points last week. On the downside, I have Trea Turner on one of my other teams, who's expected to be out until at least July 31 after getting hit; suffering a broken wrist today. I'm stashing Turner on my bench until he's back. My best available option was Jedd Gyorko, who has eligibility at 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS.

8 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I think the A's have too much history to be renamed as part of a move, but the Rays could be renamed easily. . . .

I remember some stupid rumor that the A's could move back to Philly (this was in the Phils glory run). But, there was no place other than some shit hole in NE they could put a stadium in. I want them in Oakland anyways, albeit in a new stadium. But they seem to firesale like the ('97) team I'll mention. 

If anything (and what I was hoping), when the Marlins sale went up, they'd relocate to Montreal. They still have an avid fanbase there for baseball, from what I've seen. They've done Spring Training games there, as recently as the Jays/Bucs game this year. The field looks good, stadium seems alright.

Go for it. As long as they bring back the old uniforms. 

Phillies suck now, so, I can wax nostalgic for aesthetic yesteryear. 

Said it before, but as much as I'd love the Expos to come back (they're my team), it's not going to work without a better stadium. The Owe is a shit hole and nobody wants to head out to it 80+ times a year, the Alouettes couldn't even get people to go there 9 times a year.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have Kluber on one of my teams. He put up 65 points last week. On the downside, I have Trea Turner on one of my other teams, who's expected to be out until at least July 31 after getting hit; suffering a broken wrist today. I'm stashing Turner on my bench until he's back. My best available option was Jedd Gyorko, who has eligibility at 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS.

If you can, pick up Ketel Marte from the Diamondbacks. Just got called up and he has pretty good speed.

Kluber's last 4 starts since he came off the DL:

Today: 8 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts

6/24: 7 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 13 strikeouts

6/19: 9 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 11 strikeouts

6/14: 7 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts

Whatever evil german supervillain mad scientist is responsible for creating this version of Ze Klu-bot I thank him profusely. 

Yanks call up one of their top prospects Dustin Fowler

Fowler proceeds to blow out his knee in the first inning of his first game running into a wall and requires surgery

Yup...

Girardi blamed what he described as an electrical box that was at the top of the short wall for the severity of the injury.

"I'm not blaming the White Sox, but it is something that needs to be inspected," Girardi said. "It should've been padded or not put there or put lower because if the kid doesn't hit the electrical box, he might still be hurt but my guess is he doesn't rupture his patellar tendon."

Girardi also said MLB needs to figure out a better plan than having the short walls in foul territory in the outfield. He said plexiglass, like in hockey, should be considered.

It was unclear if the wet surface had anything to do with the injury. Girardi did not bring that up as a factor. The teams were delayed by rain 2 hours, 50 minutes, moving first pitch to 10 p.m. CT.

Also - the irony is the Yanks are probably now gonna be forced to call up ANOTHER top prospect in Clint Frazier to replace Fowler.

The way they are suffering crippling injuries - he might wanna let that call go to voice mail

20 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

The A's have had the same name through 3 cities already. I would think they'd keep it if they move again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I'm going to be yelled at by everyone for not seeing this before now, but um.. if you see this before the slate of games for 6/29 complete, stop what you're doing, go to MLB.COM immediately, and get the rest of this year's MLB streaming package for $10. Goes back to $99 tomorrow.

That's a great deal. If you're a TMobile subscriber, and don't have the package, kick yourself for not claiming it when it was free before the season. 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Girardi already said they expect it to be at least 6 months.

Yeah, at least - an orthopedic surgeon commented on Deadspin about the complexity:

This is where the surgery and rehabilitation part of the injury get really interesting, if you’re in the field or have a rooting interest in this guys return.

95-99% of patellar tendon ruptures are non-contact injuries in guys in their 30's+40's, or who have renal issues, have taken certain antibiotics, or who have done steroids. The tendon avulses off of the inferior pole of the patella.

It’s a fairly simple surgery to repair, suture up the tendon, either drill some holes in the patella and tie the sutures down, or use bio-composite screw fixation, but the person heals and usually returns to sport. Although it is difficult for a professional athlete to return, these injuries also occur when the athlete is older, making any injury more difficult to return from.

However, with a transection, all that goes out the window.

Was it a partial or full transection?

Usually you can bear weight if less than 50% of the tendon is torn, it looks here like he could not bear weight.

If it is a full 100% transection, where did the it occur?

Treating a transection at the base, middle, and top of the patellar tendon are very different injuries with different procedures and time tables for return.

Basically, this could have the potential to be more than just a rest of the season injury.

He is an extremely young athlete with the best doctors, therapist, modalities, etc available in the world, he will probably return.

But, there isn’t much literature on professional athletes and freak accident patellar transections, so don’t be surprised if there are complications.