DVDVR Message Board

NXT JUNE 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Good thing the show here was last night. There is apparently an active shooter situation at harford community college right now. 

Holy shit,  what? Considering I used to go there this really saddens me knowing how bad it's gotten.

EDIT: So now it's said conflicting reports so who knows what's going on.

Oh,  and the show was great. Nothing blow away but had some fun house show matches. Black vs Velvetern Dream was surprisingly MOTN. Title match was pretty good too. 

And Mandy Rose in person. Daaaaaamn, man. Hot as Hades, plays a good heel and good in what she's doing. Put her all over TV and she'll be one helluva star.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Everyone who was at the most recent tryouts

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/wwe-performance-center-tryout-june-2017

The usual mix of known names with ex-football and ex-military types

How dare you ignore the biggest name on that list:  Cody Deaner from TNA. 

Although it looks like he has given up the redneck mullet gimmick :(

Deaner and Crazy Steve are the two biggest names

Odision (or however he spells it was there) along with that other giant fucking dude from CWF Mid-Atlantic

BTW - random aside

Meltzer pointed out this morning on the radio show that every show this weekend was at a repeat venue and attendance was WAY down on all three shows.

He said the primary reason he was given by the people he talked to was "No Nakamura"

But basically in talking about it in the general terms - they know that NXT is "gutted" and at the moment there isn't that one person that people want to come see (ie: Nakamura, Balor, Bayley, et al)

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - random aside

Meltzer pointed out this morning on the radio show that every show this weekend was at a repeat venue and attendance was WAY down on all three shows.

He said the primary reason he was given by the people he talked to was "No Nakamura"

But basically in talking about it in the general terms - they know that NXT is "gutted" and at the moment there isn't that one person that people want to come see (ie: Nakamura, Balor, Bayley, et al)

I can attest to that.  The Bel Air show doesn't hold that many to begin with and I'm being generous in saying it was 60% full.  Lack of Nak definitely hurt it since folks like Asuka and Roode were still there.

Dillinger(who's doing nothing on SDL) and Nak were the two most over faces in NXT when they were called up. Combine that with no Joe, no Revival, no DIY , and I'm not surprised at low attendance numbers. Go back a little further and you have Balor, Zayn, Bayley, Cass and Enzo, Alpha, Bliss etc getting called up close together. There's only so many times a fanbase can lose their favorites over a short span when you get to the point of not being able to replace them fast enough. The writing and character development hasn't been as strong as it was in 2014-15 either.

I like the current talent roster a lot, but they haven't had time to connect with the audience yet. Even acts who've been around for a while like Peyton and Billie should've been pushed harder than they were over the past year. The tag division has one dominate team and one decent face team right now. It needs a lot of work. The women's division will be loaded after the MYC, but they need 3 more months before it all airs.

Dunne and Bate look like the two brightest young stars they have, and they haven't even been included in NXT story lines yet.

It's hard to understand the notion that the NXT roster has been gutted. This is a roster that still has:

• Roode
  • Ohno
  • Drew Mac
  • Roddy Strong
  • Itami
  • Asuka
  • Black
  • EY
  • Almas
  • Ember
  • Cross

It sucks that Nakamura isn't there, but the biggest hit to NXT has been the change in creative. They're still spinning their heels despite some bright spots here and there. It also doesn't help that they kicked off a hot angle with Ciampa turning on Gargano and there's not going to be any follow-up on that for months. If you have the roster that NXT has and the greater creative leeway that NXT has then you should be giving people enough reasons to start packing houses again. 

You look at the roster now and compare it what it was a few years ago and the level of talent is about the same. The biggest difference is that you don't have anyone with KO's mouth, you haven't created anyone as likable as Bayley, there isn't a single character to come close to what Finn was, there's no one presented as much of a monster as Samoa Joe (I'm excluding AOP), and there isn't someone as unique as Nakamura. Again though, why can't they promote someone as likable as Bayley? You have more than enough unique individuals on the roster to fill Nakamura's spot, but no one is getting the push. Why isn't Black or Ohno in the Samoa Joe role? Why isn't Drew Mac presented as a must see talent? The roster is there, but creative can't find a way to fill in the reasons why people want to see this shit live.

Drew Mac is a fucking monster. Great look. Can say shit on the mic that he'll back up. And yet...he's doing whatever. Roode is great and all, but his character would work so much better on the main roster. That Ric Flair type character just doesn't fit in NXT, but he's the main guy they promote. Roddy Strong got a great video package and not much else to make you care about him. Asuka should have moved on by now because there's no one credible left to defeat her. Not even Nikki Cross. If they want a heel champ, EY would work way better in that role than Roode.

I don't know...The solutions seem so obvious. It's just really surprising that not one person can replicate the work of Ryan Ward.

• Like 1

Maybe what they should have done was have Ryan mentor his replacement and show him how he did things.  Not to ape what he did but use it as a very solid foundation to build off of.  Not sure what they did or didn't do in regards to that, but if this didn't happen then it's easy to see why they're still figuring out what works.

The roster isn't gutted (far from it) but it doesn't have that top babyface draw right now and I think it needs it. The novelty of seeing Finn and Nakamura in an armory was part of the attraction, but Bobby Roode? People have seen him already. 

Tyler Bate could be NXT's Daniel Bryan if they start booking him in NXT story lines. That dude is insanely good for his age, and Dunne is right there with him in terms of talent. Those two need to be major players on NXT's weekly show. I agree with Craig that none of the current women should beat Asuka, but with Hojo, Io, and probably Toni Storm coming in I really hope she sticks around for another 6 months or so.

• Like 1

I do think there was a lot of novelty fueling the success of the first two years of NXT tours.  Even beyond Balor and Nakamura, the cards were full of talent that had never wrestled outside of Florida before (at least, not in their NXT gimmicks).  Unless you were in Florida, you'd likely never had the opportunity to singalong with Enzo & Cass's entrance in person, or seen Bayley live, etc.  There was value to putting down your money for a ticket to a house show.

These days, while I think the overall talent level is still good, the roster is loaded with guys who've been around the horn nationally a dozen times over.  I mean, I like Chris Hero, but I wouldn't feel super compelled to pay to seem him tag with No Way Jose in the undercard of an NXT house show if I'd already seen him live in better matches at Evolve or PWG or wherever else.   And Roderick Strong coasting through a perfectly fine, **1/2 match isn't likely to get me there either.

Hell, Asuka's been hanging around so long, she's practically old hat, too.

Internationally, I'm not sure who they could get that would have the same effect as Balor/Nak.  Obviously, Kenny Omega would be a huge get and drive a solid year's worth of business for them, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't go straight to the main roster whenever he signs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

I do think there was a lot of novelty fueling the success of the first two years of NXT tours.  Even beyond Balor and Nakamura, the cards were full of talent that had never wrestled outside of Florida before (at least, not in their NXT gimmicks).  Unless you were in Florida, you'd likely never had the opportunity to singalong with Enzo & Cass's entrance in person, or seen Bayley live, etc.  There was value to putting down your money for a ticket to a house show.

This.  I agree that the lack of star power has something to do with the diminishing returns, but the biggest factor is likely that NXT tours so often now people are going to hold off or be less enthusiastic about going since they figure it will come back around once again.  Some of the more out of the way locations will draw well but in bigger cities that have been on the NXT circuit before the fans will be more inclined to wait for another tour that will potentially include more of their favorites, or they just went not too long ago and don't feel like it again.

The biggest issue is that it stopped being a special privilege to go to a NXT show. Two years ago, there was the sense that only a few people were lucky enough to have a show near them and to get tickets, and if you were to go, you'd see something (most likely after the last match) that no one else would get to see live, ever. Add in the chance to do some of the more interactive stuff that were lacking from the main shows (be it singing along to Balor's entrance or serenading Bayley or doing Enzo and Cass' entrance with them). Now it's just another show.

• Like 1

When I went to the Milwaukee show a year and a half ago, I got to see Enzo and Cass go aganist The Revival, Bayley work a fun match with Nia Jax, Sami have an insane match with Ciampa, and have Finn chop me in the chest after telling me cheers when he was making his way up the ramp after the show.

Now I'm only interested in seeing AOP and Almas, maybe Auska.

59 minutes ago, EVA said:

These days, while I think the overall talent level is still good, the roster is loaded with guys who've been around the horn nationally a dozen times over.  I mean, I like Chris Hero, but I wouldn't feel super compelled to pay to seem him tag with No Way Jose in the undercard of an NXT house show if I'd already seen him live in better matches at Evolve or PWG or wherever else.   And Roderick Strong coasting through a perfectly fine, **1/2 match isn't likely to get me there either.

Hell, Asuka's been hanging around so long, she's practically old hat, too.

Internationally, I'm not sure who they could get that would have the same effect as Balor/Nak.  Obviously, Kenny Omega would be a huge get and drive a solid year's worth of business for them, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't go straight to the main roster whenever he signs.

Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly would also be a boost if they are in fact going to WWE.