DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

29 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

This thread is proof that Raw can kill anything, even our love affair with the Miz. :(

I'll admit, he was pretty entertaining elbowing dropping a box. Miz is entertaining when he gets made a fool of.

I will always say he'd be good as a poor man's Bobby Heenan or Larry Sweeney.

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I've actually seen a decent amount of his Memphis run. He's not a great '80s-style heartthrob babyface. He's not a guy who should be on posters shirtless and in jeans. 

He would have been better off as a more sympathetic Magnum TA, like a "Walk Tall" type gimmick except he shows more emotional nuance than Magnum did. 

My memories of early Jeff was more his light heavyweight feud with Eric Embry, which was what started the Embry face run and World Class run.

Jeff was a good junior in his early days.  I wonder what Jarrett would have been like if his early career was more Japan and less Memphis.

I think there's been a slight misunderstanding when I say Miz is one of the quintessential IC champions - I don't mean based on workrate, how he compares to others, longevity or any of that, I simply mean he's cemented himself as one of the names I think of when people say 'intercontinental champion' as he's made it his own over the past few years. 

As far as when the IC title stopped meaning anything my knee-jerk reaction was when the Stone Cold handed it to the Rock but I think it might have been when Triple H had to vacate it following the ladder match at Summerslam. It seemed that was the point it stopped being the tester/springboard to bigger things

• Like 1

On last week's RAW, Miz became the first Jeff Hardy opponent for 15 years to forget to sit up after the double leg- double legdrop spot, so he can low dropkick you in the face. And then he took Matt Hardy's Twisto Fate as a swinging neckbreaker.

How can you not know the Hardys' spots? They never change them!

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's a guy that never should been above the IC title. At least he wasn't above that level in the WWF. Don't get me started on Jeff Jarrett: NWA world champion. 

I think he deserved a shot as world champion in the WWF in 99, especially with the way Hunter was bombing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

On last week's RAW, Miz became the first Jeff Hardy opponent for 15 years to forget to sit up after the double leg- double legdrop spot, so he can low dropkick you in the face. And then he took Matt Hardy's Twisto Fate as a swinging neckbreaker.

How can you not know the Hardys' spots? They never change them!

To be fair, the Hardys right now are all kinds of awful at their own stuff. Besides the Wrestlemania Moment (tm) their run has been super dull.

Yeah, but with Cesaro and Sheamus there should be a great feud and we got a really boring one instead. Those 2 guys scream 4 star Matches, not barely 3 stars. 

And can someone tell Rollins to stop his suicide dives? 3 or 4 per match are just way too much.

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Yeah, but with Cesaro and Sheamus there should be a great feud and we got a really boring one instead. Those 2 guys scream 4 star Matches, not barely 3 stars. 

Hell, that cage match wasn't even within spitting range of 3 stars.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this this morning as the WWE continues splitting Enzo & Cass

What is the longest a tag team has gone together (non jobber division) without ever winning a title in wrestling

Enzo & Cass have been together since 2013 and never won a title. And I am not saying they are it but that is what got me thinking about it

I am sure it is an obvious team I am forgetting

And I immediately might have answered my own question since the Faces of Fear were together for basically 8 years and never won anything

18 hours ago, Victator said:

He kept that shit show alive. Look how bad things got without him. Pretty sure Dixie was on the verge of mortgaging her grandkids near the end. 

She's not listed as having grandkids. Therefore she already did so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And I immediately might have answered my own question since the Faces of Fear were together for basically 8 years and never won anything

I want to say the New Breed, but they held the tag titles in Florida for a month or two before JCP.  Still, they formed in 2002 and didn't win a title until 1986, so that's 16 years - twice as long as the Faces of Fear.

• Like 10

My two favorite guys in WCW, aside from Sting, were Eddy and Meng. I still remembered that brief push the Faces of Fear received en route to their tag title shot against the Outsiders. I foolishly believed they would win the titles much like I thought Eddy would win the World title at WW3.

43 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I want to say the New Breed, but they held the tag titles in Florida for a month or two before JCP.  Still, they formed in 2002 and didn't win a title until 1986, so that's 16 years - twice as long as the Faces of Fear.

Did they use a Delorean to achieve that? If so, even more impressive.

• Like 1