DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

What's funny is that I was looking at the title history this morning to see where Miz's 7 titles ranked and saw Wade Barrett held the title FIVE times

I had memories of like one of them.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Word.  i was going to check Wikipedia to see the exact time the IC title stopped meaning something but I absolutely lost the will.  It was definitely sometime in the late 90s, the same time all the belts became meaningless hot potatoes.  I remember being blown away when guys won the IC belt for the 2nd or 3rd time.  The fact that The Miz has held it 7 times is a testament to something, and it's not how great a champion he is.

I hate evoking the name, but Russo destroyed what it means to hold a Championship. 

Razor and his 4 reigns was monumental.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd say the IC title stopped meaning anything around the time Road Dogg and the Godfather were getting title reigns. 

Man Russo messed that up so badly. You had Shamrock, Billy Gunn, Val Venis and Goldust in a four way feud that was working. Road Dogg was over in the Hardcore division. Then Russo SWERVED everyone by messing up two Mania feuds.

With Godfather the WWF struggled trying to convert him to a more serious character. He was so over you might be able to get serious heat. But people did not want that so the IC title fell flat. 

I think Jarrett was the best heel in the company that year and was effective as IC Champion. Anyone who feuded with him came out more over. Which is the best you can hope for with a champion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Most of you will have a knee-jerk reaction depending on your opinion of the bloke, but, devil's advocate, has the Miz become the quintessential intercontinental champion?

When I see or hear 'intercontinental champion' the main names that spring to mind are Mr Perfect, Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon

I think the Miz has certainly made that title his own and deserves to be remembered with the belt just as much as those guys

Perfect's a funny case because he really didn't have the belt for that long. He gained it shortly after Mania VI, lost it at Summerslam, chased Tornado for the rest of the year, didn't get it back until the very end of the year (due to Dibiase), feuded with Piper shortly thereafter, inherited Rude's fued against Bossman and defended vs him at Mania (losing the match but not the belt), and then lost it at Summerslam against Bret. Not a long run at all.

• Like 1

Jarrett's misogynist gimmick was the hottest that he's ever been, true. 

However, Jarrett was miscast as a heel most of his career when he's much, much better at being a sympathetic babyface. Widower dad Jarrett was so likable that I forgot that he's a racist prick in real life and rooted for him wholeheartedly. 

He's not a great match guy on his own, but he'll hold a match together and, when paired with someone better than him, will elevate his game, but he's far superior selling a beating as a face to cheating his ass off and guitar-shotting dudes as a heel. 

38 minutes ago, Victator said:

He kept that shit show alive. Look how bad things got without him. Pretty sure Dixie was on the verge of mortgaging her grandkids near the end. 

The Panda money marks are the only reason the promotion survived past a few months. IIRC the Jarrett's were on the virge of declaring bankruptcy until the Panda people saved them.

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

However, Jarrett was miscast as a heel most of his career when he's much, much better at being a sympathetic babyface. Widower dad Jarrett was so likable that I forgot that he's a racist prick in real life and rooted for him wholeheartedly. 

He's not a great match guy on his own, but he'll hold a match together and, when paired with someone better than him, will elevate his game, but he's far superior selling a beating as a face to cheating his ass off and guitar-shotting dudes as a heel. 

Jarrett would have been a great babyface after Owen Hart's tragedy, but I'm glad they didn't go that route, like they did with Rey dedicating everything to Eddie. I hate real deaths being used in angles. The lone exception is Paul Bearer's death. The Undertaker/CM Punk feud would have been DOA without it. CM Punk was pure gold in that feud.

I just got the new Developmentally Speaking with Bull james and guest EC3 and Bill Carr. I hope it is still good without Hawkins at the helm. I will try to post again in this thread with some quick thoughts on it.

The one with Hawkins and Kenny Omega was the best in the series. Dont bother with the Matt Sydal one. Naylor was awesome in that one, but Sydal got bored and kept asking to leave.

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Most of you will have a knee-jerk reaction depending on your opinion of the bloke, but, devil's advocate, has the Miz become the quintessential intercontinental champion?

When I see or hear 'intercontinental champion' the main names that spring to mind are Mr Perfect, Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon

Whereas I think Valentine and Santana.

• Like 4

Tito was a great champion.

The Mountie/Roddy Piper at RR '92 is a low-key very good match. It's fun as hell. So that's another guy with at least one more good IC Championship match than the Miz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

What's funny is that I was looking at the title history this morning to see where Miz's 7 titles ranked and saw Wade Barrett held the title FIVE times

I had memories of like one of them.

Holding the IC title is pretty much what Barrett was doing in between all those injuries

30 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Babyface Jarrett vs hell Angle at TNA Genesis is arguably Angle's best ever match, as JJ tempered a lot of the overkill you'd expect. Then again, I think Jarrett pretty much carried Michaels to his career match too, so opinions may vary.

39 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh man you missed him in Memphis being pushed down everyone's throat. First two years are fine, he is an underdog and people supported him as the sidekick to Lawler and Dundee. 

Then in 1990 he becomes "Simply Irresistable" Jeff Jarrett and you want to punch him. After that its hard to see him as a face until late in his TNA run. 

37 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The Panda money marks are the only reason the promotion survived past a few months. IIRC the Jarrett's were on the virge of declaring bankruptcy until the Panda people saved them.

JJ managed it much better than Dixie. Once Jeff was driven out, it went to shit. Whereas before they maintained a good roster and they usually got to have good matches. Even if they have shitty matches. 

If Jarrett was around I think AJ would have stayed and they would not have lost Spike. 

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Oh man you missed him in Memphis being pushed down everyone's throat. First two years are fine, he is an underdog and people supported him as the sidekick to Lawler and Dundee. 

Then in 1990 he becomes "Simply Irresistable" Jeff Jarrett and you want to punch him. After that its hard to see him as a face until late in his TNA run. 

I've actually seen a decent amount of his Memphis run. He's not a great '80s-style heartthrob babyface. He's not a guy who should be on posters shirtless and in jeans. 

He would have been better off as a more sympathetic Magnum TA, like a "Walk Tall" type gimmick except he shows more emotional nuance than Magnum did. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I've actually seen a decent amount of his Memphis run. He's not a great '80s-style heartthrob babyface. He's not a guy who should be on posters shirtless and in jeans. 

He would have been better off as a more sympathetic Magnum TA, like a "Walk Tall" type gimmick except he shows more emotional nuance than Magnum did. 

I agree, but Jerry was blinded by his love for Jeff. Jerry abandoned Jeff as a child until Jeff's mother died when Jeff was fourteen. Jerry said he spent most of his energy trying to make up for it. 

When Jerry left TNA, Jeff told him "First you abandoned me for that woman and you are abandoning me again."

Jerry was lucky Jeff was talented or he would of had his own George Gulas. 

17 hours ago, Victator said:

I think Shawn once said it wasn't really worth the risk at his age and his vision was not affected. 

He said on the Rivalries set with Bret that he spent so many years caring about his appearance and being arrogant and now he's past that and doesn't care.

I guess I'm gonna dissent here on Honky vs. Miz. Miz is significantly better at nearly everything.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, zev said:

Jeff Jarrett in Memphis was a chore to sit through. His push was as awful then as it was on Nitro. 

He's a guy that never should been above the IC title. At least he wasn't above that level in the WWF. Don't get me started on Jeff Jarrett: NWA world champion.