DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

21 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Wouldn't it need to be Ivanka's face if he's going full-on "Rude disrespecting Jake The Snake's wife" mode?

You may have something there.  If only I was good at Photoshop..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It just occurred to me that they've really done absolutely nothing with Mojo since he won the battle royale at Mania.

Repackaging him as a Bernie Bro would have been awesome.

Weird, I never encountered these "Bernie Bros". I wonder if they're like those "Obama Boys" I never heard about until last year but surely existed because reasons. But, I sure as hell encountered a lot of Trump Bros.

• Like 1

In regards to Andre

Cesaro's win was supposed to be the start of his mega push but Vince changed his mind again...

Show won partly because I think they thought it was going to be his last Mania

Corbin didn't do anything immediately after because he got into the death feud with Ziggler but at least now they are pushing him. And they really like saying he won the Andre in his first ever main roster match.

Mojo's win was clearly due to allowing them to have Gronk involved and get on ESPN

So that being said - I am pretty sure that is what the Andre is going to be from here on out. A way to get a bunch of guys on the show (but apparently not on the DVD) and to get some sort of "moment" that they can get on social media the next day.

I think also there's the fact that visually, it's not like a belt, or the MITB briefcase, or say even Owen Hart's Slammys. It's just a big ass trophy that's already out there when the winner makes their entrance, and then it disappears after a couple weeks. Why not just up the stakes and say the winner gets an IC or US title shot at Backlash or Extreme Rules? 

22 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think also there's the fact that visually, it's not like a belt, or the MITB briefcase, or say even Owen Hart's Slammys. It's just a big ass trophy that's already out there when the winner makes their entrance, and then it disappears after a couple weeks. Why not just up the stakes and say the winner gets an IC or US title shot at Backlash or Extreme Rules? 

I hear you, and that would be right along the lines of the Jinder push out of nowhere. They could also just push the guy that won the battle royal by having him win a bunch of matches after and earn a shot, in some sort of storyline "thing". They have  had the announcers tossing around the "momentum" word, but I really don't think they understand it.

One of the unwritten rules of Wrestling is that everyone wants to go into the big match with "Momentum", even though 90% of the time, whoever has the most momentum going in loses the big one.

• Like 2

Meltzer posted in the newest WON

With a very heavy heart, I’ve just found out that my father is entering hospice care with pancreatic cancer and kidney failure.

He is 90 years old and my parents have been married for 66 years and for the most part, been together since meeting when both were teenagers. It’s something that just came up in the past two weeks. He was doing amazingly well for his age, every weekend still attending plays in San Francisco and Berkeley, taking mass transit one hour in each direction. Every single day, he walked to the convalescent home that my mom was at and would spend all afternoon with her. I was actually with him visiting my mother, who suffered a stroke on my birthday this past year, when we noticed he was looking jaundiced. At that age I was pretty worried and the first test results didn’t come up good, and last week I was told that he had cancer and at his age it would be terminal, but he would have some time left to live.

He had surgery on 6/27 and while he came through the surgery itself well, I was called the next day and said that the family needed to be together and we were told he only has a short time left, that the cancer was advanced and the kidney failure was rapidly getting worse.

My parents are absolutely the greatest parents in the world. I could never explain how much they’ve helped me in so many ways throughout my life, and always been there during all the good times and bad. Last year, when I was given the James Melby Award by the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame, they made the trip and had the time of their lives. Honestly for me, it was a bigger deal them being able to be there and my mother meeting Charlie Thesz, because my parents were from the generation where Lou Thesz was the God of wrestling, than anything for me. I’m so happy that this happened when they were still alive and able to travel.

The last time I’ve missed a week of doing the Observer is in 2002, when my mother was hospitalized with a heart issue. I don’t anticipate missing any time, but if it does happen, I hope everyone will understand.

The timing is never good, but this really was bad because I was looking forward to taking my son on a number of trips this summer, to Long Beach this coming weekend since so many readers were flying in for the New Japan shows, to Las Vegas for the UFC Hall of Fame because it was so important to me to see Joe Silva in particular inducted, and I was planning on going to the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame ceremony in Waterloo two weeks later because of the induction of Scott Williams. But things happen. My father was able to live a long and almost idyllic life, traveling to every corner of the world, in recent years against my wishes when he did trips to India and Brazil because those were places they had never visited. This is a period in life that almost everyone goes through but it is also just about the worst part of life there is.

Anyway, I’d just like to thank everyone for being understanding for the next short period of time. It’s been a terrible year, losing my longest lasting friend that I still saw regularly, having my cousin who is like an older almost twin-like sister battling advanced cancer, the sudden death out of nowhere of Scott Williams, and even things like the death of my mentor, Frank Deford and Jan Ross, the latter of which was just so sudden and sad. And the sudden death of Buddy Wayne, who I didn’t know well but was the trainer of Bryan Alvarez and his mentor, had everyone here hard.

Jeez, that's terrible.  On the one hand 90's a long life and it sounds like his dad had a pretty fulfilling one at that.  But it still sucks and I feel bad for Dave.  The last paragraph in particular about the people he knew that passed is depressing.  I wouldn't blame him one bit if he took off for however long needed.

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cesaro jumping from one heel manager in Zeb to another in Paul E. didn't make sense, especially when the crowd was clamoring to cheer Claudio at that point.

Didn't the story be that they wanted a grassroots movement to make Cesaro leave Paul E. and become a big babyface hero that way, only to be hindered since being a Paul Heyman Guy was seen as a big enough honor to satisfy people?

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Jeez, that's terrible.  On the one hand 90's a long life and it sounds like his dad had a pretty fulfilling one at that.  But it still sucks and I feel bad for Dave.  The last paragraph in particular about the people he knew that passed is depressing.  I wouldn't blame him one bit if he took off for however long needed.

Sorry to hear this about Herb. 90 is a long time still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Isn't that what Florida used to do with their Television Championship?

It's a pretty common rib whenever there's a huge trophy used as a title, or anything similar.  WWE *loved* doing it - when Paul Bearer debuted that huge urn with the spotlight inside of it in '94, WWE made him carry it everywhere, and it was apparently about 40-50 pounds.  Bearer said he didn't sell the rib, sitting right outside Vince's office with brass polish and shining it up with a big smile on his face whenever Vince would walk by.  Eventually they got bored and stopped the rib.

• Like 2

I'm not feeling that progressive liberal gimmick. Its a good idea, but execution was poor. I think to work this guy would need to on a level believe what he was saying. I don't think the JBL gimmick would work on a guy with political left leanings. That he was a Republican during the Bush era made it effective. Even if he was not exactly like one of those types, he was close enough to them. 

Kinda like how the Norman Lear people would roast Maude more than Archie Bunker, because they saw themselves in her. 

With the promo I saw it gave off a desperate heel vibe. He needs the boos too much to be effective. 

That said, hope he gets some extra money out of this. 

It's the coal country of Eastern Kentucky. The gimmick's working.

I think the gimmick's a good idea - though I'd be worried about getting knifed in the back - but he's just not a real good talker. He needs to push more of the buttons - "we know what's best for you and your children," talk about how he and his buddies will come by people's houses and take their guns, all under the orders of the U.N. If you're gonna do it, do it up right.

It's a good idea and from the article I read it's not too far from how the guy actually is.  I'd like to think he believes in what he's saying, but just isn't a good enough promo to get the full mileage out of it.  At least he found a heel gimmick that will work quite well for that area.

So the Internet RUMORZ~! are that the Colons have asked for their release

From my shitty Google skills - basically Pro Wrestling Tees is to blame.

Which then SuperLuchas ran a story about which in turn WWC's Twitter account retweeted

9 hours ago, Cristobal said:

He needs a manager, preferably someone markedly not from Appalachia, (even trying to, he doesn't pronounce Appalachian like a real Yankee,) to pull off the gimmick. 

I'd actually like to see Jim Cornette manage him. 

Fuck it, Jim Cornette needs to adopt this gimmick. 

17 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Jim Cornette is selling autographed 8x10 copies of the restraining order Russo filed against him on his website.

That's some Emperor-level carny shit right there.

Frankly I love the idea that Russo does something stupid and Corny makes money on it.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's a pretty common rib whenever there's a huge trophy used as a title, or anything similar.  WWE *loved* doing it - when Paul Bearer debuted that huge urn with the spotlight inside of it in '94, WWE made him carry it everywhere, and it was apparently about 40-50 pounds.  Bearer said he didn't sell the rib, sitting right outside Vince's office with brass polish and shining it up with a big smile on his face whenever Vince would walk by.  Eventually they got bored and stopped the rib.

This is a company run by adults.

• Like 8