DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I'm still expecting to see Omega's collapse sell in Omega-Okada II pop up for the next year in indy matches.  (To be fair, it's almost too good *not* to steal, but nobody will get why it worked in context, as usual)

Doubt it would happen because it'd mean they'd actually have to sell a move.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

No, they've moved on to Superkicks and Lungblowers.

Don't forget every sort of move imaginable on the ring apron, reverse huracanranas, and Canadian Destroyer variations for a two count.

I would actually love if a chickenshit heel stole the Omega collapse spot in a big match only to be playing possum and small package his unsuspecting opponent for the pin like Bret to Diesel at Survivor Series 95. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Roman said:

I'm going to regret this, but what's the Omega spot?

Probably no need for the tags, but:

Spoiler

Omega ducks a rainmaker by collapsing from fatigue, late in he and Okada's 60 minute draw. It works really well in context, but as alluded to above, could be abused easily in matches that haven't earned that level of exhaustion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I put it in the podcast thread when it came out, but I can't stress enough how awesome Mark Henry was on MVP's podcast.  It was from a couple weeks ago and it's Mark talking road stories, backstage adjustments and all kinds of cool shit about movies and sports.  It's called the VIP Lounge and if you like Mark I guarantee you'll love this episode.

Mark is usually great on interview shows.  I think he's been on Jay Mohr a few times and he killed it there too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Probably no need for the tags, but:

Hide contents

Omega ducks a rainmaker by collapsing from fatigue, late in he and Okada's 60 minute draw. It works really well in context, but as alluded to above, could be abused easily in matches that haven't earned that level of exhaustion. 

Exactly this.  They'll do it five minutes in, then pop up and hit a finish.

I fucking love the idea of doing it for a flash pin, though.  Hell, I hope Omega does it.

• Like 2

The Progressive Liberal is my new favorite heel.

What a brilliant gimmick!

If he really wanted to draw heat, he go full Rick Rude / Cheryl Roberts and have Nancy Pelosi's face airbrushed across the ass end of his ring attire..

• Like 2

In high school, our backyard federation was gonna do a very similar character during the Bush/Kerry election with the idea that the kid was gonna be running for mayor of our town to drum up interest in buying our tapes (he was the only one of us who was 18, and our town was about to elect it's first mayor that same election day). His gimmick name was going to be "John Mayor, No Relation." He backed out because he is a reasonable, sane person.

• Like 4

I think this Progressive Liberal guy in a bigger market would probably be a huge heel. Hell, he'd probably manage to get heat in huge liberal cities. It's a shame the WWE would never go for a gimmick like this. If they did it would be so handcuffed.

5 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

I haven't been here that long but I am almost 30. I notice that Reddit attracts people who are a decade or so younger than me. When I was their age though, I just lurked on forums because I didn't feel like I knew enough to contribute. 

But holy shit, the Attitude Era is as distant to these people as Hulkamania was to me. 

This is the oldest board I've been on still in existance- it's been over half my life since I was a snotnosed punk college kid seeing posters of the Hardys doing OMEGA.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Based off the shirt, his gimmick should be a Liberal Neocon. Only way that gimmick works is if he had a all-over print Bernie shirt.

Play to your audience. People in Appalachian Kentucky think that Clinton is the liberal devil.

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Reddit skews way, way younger. Its probably got more in common with a YouTube comment section or Facebook than it does with here. I check it out pretty regularly just cause I'm on Reddit anyway. One thing I noticed that kinda drives me nuts is that they all use the phrase "in kayfabe" to describe anything that happens on TV

When I hear people under a certain age calling a record or LP "a vinyl" I want to smash my face into a wall until it all fades away.

• Like 2