DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

Russian Raw and Smackdown commercials.  I'm partial to the birthday themed one.

These are nuts!  I like the musical instruments one, especially the ending one with Mark Henry.

Bischoff on the Women's MitB:

"I think it’s a bad move. It’s a mistake I’ve made in the past. Sometimes you learn from your mistakes. At least, sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. When you build up to a big event on PPV and you build up the stakes and you build up the expectation and you basically deliver a screwed finish and then re-match it on free tv… it diminishes the long-term expectation of future big event matches on PPV when that happens. I think it’s a really bad idea. By the way, I’ve done it and the results were always negative."

...well, he's not wrong. 

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bischoff on the Women's MitB:

"I think it’s a bad move. It’s a mistake I’ve made in the past. Sometimes you learn from your mistakes. At least, sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. When you build up to a big event on PPV and you build up the stakes and you build up the expectation and you basically deliver a screwed finish and then re-match it on free tv… it diminishes the long-term expectation of future big event matches on PPV when that happens. I think it’s a really bad idea. By the way, I’ve done it and the results were always negative."

...well, he's not wrong. 

WWE Network absolutely ruined WWE's booking.  There is no longer any need to build good storylines to a satisfying resolution on a worthwhile PPV because they no longer live and die by PPV revenue.  TV booking is listless and awful and PPV booking isn't any better.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The tradition needs to continue:

BOXEBpTCMAApBji.jpg

No, not really.  There was a time I would have been excited for a Jericho-Takayama match.  That time was at least 10 years ago.  Takayama is 50 (holy shit.  If he's old, I'm old too!!!) and looked mostly immobile the last couple times I've seen him.  I doubt he's gotten any younger since.

BTW, according to cagematch.net, Takayama has already wrestled almost 30 matches this year.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

WWE Network absolutely ruined WWE's booking.  There is no longer any need to build good storylines to a satisfying resolution on a worthwhile PPV because they no longer live and die by PPV revenue.  TV booking is listless and awful and PPV booking isn't any better.  

They've been doing screwy ppv finishes since the attitude era, so I wouldn't blame that aspect on the network, but I do agree many ppvs are indistinguishable from Raw. The shift away from ppv revenue is part of it, but I think making Raw 3 hours and "rematch culture" are huge parts of it as well. The network's biggest contribution to this problem is adding extra ppvs. There's no reason each brand needs a show every month.

11 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

They've been doing screwy ppv finishes since the attitude era, so I wouldn't blame that aspect on the network, but I do agree many ppvs are indistinguishable from Raw. The shift away from ppv revenue is part of it, but I think making Raw 3 hours and "rematch culture" are huge parts of it as well. The network's biggest contribution to this problem is adding extra ppvs. There's no reason each brand needs a show every month.

Good point.  Both speak to the larger issue: Vince and the rest of the creative team no longer have to deliver anything.   It's not like the olden days where you HAD to create a hot program, a major star, or a show that all the fans were dying to see.  There's no more "I have to build a program that will make money or I'll lose my ass."  All their money now comes from places not directly linked to the actual weekly product, so that product's quality or lack thereof has zero effect on Vince's pockets.  It's a great spot to be in, financially speaking, but a shitty spot for the fans.  There is nothing pushing them to make a better wrestling show, so they just don't.

• Like 3

Right. WWE no longer needs to produce a hot program seeking out ppv buys. They can count on a certain amount of network revenue coming in every month. You would think this would give them freedom to creative. And in a way it has. The freedom to push Roman and Seth with little effect on the bottom line. 

37 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Samoa Joe is main eventing a PPV this month. Smackdown has Jinder Mahal as world champion. Let's not pretend they aren't trying different things in creative.

I feel like these two things are the result of some Faustian bargain.

DEVIL: Samoa Joe will face Brock Lesnar for the championship...if you agree to-

Rube: Yeah yeah, my soul, it's yours, GIMMIE JOE-BROCK!

DEVIL: It shall be done...a fortnight and fourteen days past the Solstice.

Rube: ...Great Balls of Fire?

DEVIL: You watch wrestling, kid. You don't get to call ME out for cheese.

~~~~~~~~Some weeks and a Jinder title win later~~~~~~~~~~~

Rube: Oh what the FU-

DEVIL: Look, next time don't skip over the fine print.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Smackdown has Jinder Mahal as world champion.

Ugh. Every time I see this it pisses me off. Luke Harper is right fucking there, and he's actually over. 

• Like 3

Joe/Lesnar is a great program no doubt, but it's pretty much the exception that proves the rule. Brock is the rare non-overexposed WWE wrestler that has the talent (if not always the motivation) to back it up. Joe is fresh to the main roster and hasn't fallen victim to standard booking. Despite the second point, Joe vs. literally anybody else on Raw still isn't exciting.

Jinder is the proof that you can't fix bad booking by putting new faces into stale writing. He's got the exact same gimmick as Seth Rollins 2 years ago, except worse in every way. SD doesn't feel any different with him on top, you just get worse matches than you had with AJ.

• Like 2