DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

37 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Where does Tommy Dreamer sit in terms of wrestling's biggest carneys?

Having just paid $60 to sit through a House of Hardcore show where there was probably a total of ten bumps on a three hour show, half the matches comedy matches using the same spots as the match before, and most of the rest doing the same tired indy meta "hey, we're not really working, haha, let's ironically lock up and chain wrestle" garbage, I'm torn between being glad relieved for him that he's not out there destroying what's left of himself in meaningless indy matches, but also find it kinda shady that he continues to book himself in hardcore matches where he takes no bumps, and then proceeds to close the show with the same promo he's cut on every show since ECW closed down, that varies between grossly insincere and long term effects of concussions.

Thoughts?

They'll continue to book shows like these as long as there are still people willing to pay to see it.  Nostalgia will almost always bring in the dollars, no matter how rose colored the glasses are or what state the people putting on the act are now in.

• Like 2

I went to a HoH show in December. Got a picture with Broken Matt before the show. That was the highlight.

I'll give Tommy credit for it mostly showcasing young talent with a few veteran former WWE guys, and there's usually only one gimmick match per show so it's not really an ECW nostalgia deal. The South Philly crowd is full of the most despicable people I've ever been around, so watching it at the Arena wasn't a treat. Plus, the main was a cage match using the Arena's cage that takes twice as long as the match to be put together. The biggest pop of the night may have been for the guy that got the door screwed on after failing to do so for twenty minutes. 

I was at the Bustin For Autism benefit show in Houston that Alberto Del Rio famously no-showed.  Tommy and Lance Archer were originally scheduled for a plain midcard match against each other, but they switched it to a street fight for the main event to send the crowd home happy.  Those two worked a pretty entertaining hardcore match, which I'm sure was more than they were originally planning to do, for the sake of not disappointing the fans that showed up.  (Tommy got hurt taking a chokeslam through a table, leading him to swear off taking chokeslams for good.)  As far as I'm concerned, Tommy's one of the good guys.

And fuck Del Rio.

• Like 5

So apparently Del Rio and Paige has broken up.  At least according to SEScoops twitter.   While it is good that Paige is out there without getting the crap beat out of her or a serious drug/alcohol problem,  her reputation with the WWE is in shaky shape dealing with that moron. 

sucks for the TNA Knockout that next in line for him

20 hours ago, (BP) said:

I went to a HoH show in December. Got a picture with Broken Matt before the show. That was the highlight.

I'll give Tommy credit for it mostly showcasing young talent with a few veteran former WWE guys, and there's usually only one gimmick match per show so it's not really an ECW nostalgia deal. The South Philly crowd is full of the most despicable people I've ever been around, so watching it at the Arena wasn't a treat. Plus, the main was a cage match using the Arena's cage that takes twice as long as the match to be put together. The biggest pop of the night may have been for the guy that got the door screwed on after failing to do so for twenty minutes. 

We had a ten minute long "faggot" chant followed by the same guys urging Bull James to "suck it" during a resthold in a match with Billy Gunn straight after.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:36 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I kinda miss Dolph's goofy selling.  Though the company apparently told him (repeatedly) to tone it down.

overselling5.gif

Do you think Austin was right about Dolph selling too much that it hurt him.

22 minutes ago, zev said:

I see your "Tommy Dreamer is a big carny" and I call.

Tommy Dreamer continues to sell ECW nostalgia on a regular basis. If Marty can sell a bunch of umbrellas as "ring-used" Bullet Club umbrellas for £2k, then he'll be a bigger carny.

Hell, the Rock & Roll Express would tear up bedsheets, autograph the scraps and sell them as R&R headbands for ten bucks a pop.  This ain't nothin'.

Pro wrestling, for more than a century, has had one final goal: to separate gullible people from their cash money.

• Like 5