DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I think the company was done with Dolph when he cashed in MITB and got the concussion. Which was not necessarily fair to him but its understandable. 

I've supported him since the start, but he has stopped trying. There are some guys who can go half speed and still be really good, Dolph is not one of them. 

I totally forgot where I just read it, but it was a story that they never intended to push Dolph whatsoever as World champion - Vince immediately said backstage that it came about only because they wanted a big pop on the post-WM Raw, they weren't pushing Dolph, and they'd "get out of it" later.  Judging by their actions later, I'd say it's at least plausible.

There's never been a point where they took Dolph seriously as a top guy. Remember in like 08-09 when they took forever just to pull the trigger on giving him the intercontinental title? They're wishywashy on him at best and always have been. The best he's ever been booked was probably in that Survivor Series match with the Authority, and him being the lone survivor was both a swerve because it'd normally be Cena and only a setup to debut Sting.  

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

There's never been a point where they took Dolph seriously as a top guy. Remember in like 08-09 when they took forever just to pull the trigger on giving him the intercontinental title? They're wishywashy on him at best and always have been. The best he's ever been booked was probably in that Survivor Series match with the Authority, and him being the lone survivor was both a swerve because it'd normally be Cena and only a setup to debut Sting.  

Well credit to him, he made it work. 

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I kinda miss Dolph's goofy selling.  Though the company apparently told him (repeatedly) to tone it down.

overselling5.gif

With Dolph's selling, he would have been totally believable as Curt Hennig's son. He and Joe Hennig should have been packaged as the Perfect Brothers. 

This is a bit out of left field but does anyone have a clue how the nWo Wolfpac merchandise sales were after they turned them and merged the two factions?  When I had my WON sub, I remember reading that the top merch sellers were the Wolfpac.  I'm going through old Nitros around this time and I'm a little baffled why they turned them heel and how it affected their merch sales when they were heels.  I had to cancel my WON sub recently so I can't check old issues myself for anything right now.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I think if they were ever going to turn Cena heel, that would have been the time to do it.  Post Survivor Series have the two be buddy buddy but have Cena show the occasional jealously when Dolph is getting all the kudos for getting rid of the Authority.  Give Dolph the title shot against Brock at the Rumble and have Cena interfere causing Dolph to lose.  Have Cena cut a promo on Raw claiming he was doing it for the company and for Dolph's own good, because Dolph is a mid carder and not a top guy.  Saying Dolph as champ at Wrestlemania would have been a financial disaster for the company, killing Dolph's career.   Cena could have made that a money promo, cutting a heel promo as a babyface.

28 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm a little baffled why they turned them heel. 

Hogan saw where the money was going and had the power to latch onto it. I actually had a similar question because I remembered the Wolfpac being crazy over, but I was a kid and thought maybe I imagined it. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Dolph's selling, he would have been totally believable as Curt Hennig's son. He and Joe Hennig should have been packaged as the Perfect Brothers. 

I've stated a few times that when I got back into the WWE I thought Dolph was Curt Hennig's kid, not Curtis Axel.

He's a copy of a copy of Mr. Perfect. 

22 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Thanks, but I'll pass. I mean, do you know what happens to a butter-based frosting after six decades in a poorly ventilated English basement?

Not sure why, but I can picture William Regal being asked that, and him saying, "Johnny Saint seems to be doing fine."

• Like 6

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

Hogan saw where the money was going and had the power to latch onto it. I actually had a similar question because I remembered the Wolfpac being crazy over, but I was a kid and thought maybe I imagined it. 

I think WCW was desperate and needed a big angle. The Wolfpac was over, but they were not going to beat the WWF in ratings and that is what the higher ups wanted. 

I personally hated them and was more or less done with WCW for 1998 when they had Luger and Sting join any version of the nWo. 

Even if Montreal hadn't happened, I don't see Bret being in WWE all these years. They'd have either fired him when cost cutting at some point or he'd have quit, they'd have been on bad terms for a while then he'd have gone back for the HOF a while later.

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

I can't remember where I heard this, maybe a Kevin Nash shoot interview, but I think Hogan got a piece of anything NWO anyway including the red and black.

4 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Even if Montreal hadn't happened, I don't see Bret being in WWE all these years. They'd have either fired him when cost cutting at some point or he'd have quit, they'd have been on bad terms for a while then he'd have gone back for the HOF a while later.

The way the contract was set up I don't think they could fire him. As it happened Vince told Bret he could not pay him and agreed to let him talk to WCW. 

I remember it being said Bret would have been paid less once he took a front office job. He did not intend to wrestle for twenty years, I imagine he would have retired from wrestling around 05/06 at the latest 

It was three years of Wrestling and 17 in the office. But he might have wrestled after the three years were up occaissionally.

Where does Tommy Dreamer sit in terms of wrestling's biggest carneys?

Having just paid $60 to sit through a House of Hardcore show where there was probably a total of ten bumps on a three hour show, half the matches comedy matches using the same spots as the match before, and most of the rest doing the same tired indy meta "hey, we're not really working, haha, let's ironically lock up and chain wrestle" garbage, I'm torn between being glad relieved for him that he's not out there destroying what's left of himself in meaningless indy matches, but also find it kinda shady that he continues to book himself in hardcore matches where he takes no bumps, and then proceeds to close the show with the same promo he's cut on every show since ECW closed down, that varies between grossly insincere and long term effects of concussions.

Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Where does Tommy Dreamer sit in terms of wrestling's biggest carneys?

Having just paid $60 to sit through a House of Hardcore show where there was probably a total of ten bumps on a three hour show, half the matches comedy matches using the same spots as the match before, and most of the rest doing the same tired indy meta "hey, we're not really working, haha, let's ironically lock up and chain wrestle" garbage, I'm torn between being glad relieved for him that he's not out there destroying what's left of himself in meaningless indy matches, but also find it kinda shady that he continues to book himself in hardcore matches where he takes no bumps, and then proceeds to close the show with the same promo he's cut on every show since ECW closed down, that varies between grossly insincere and long term effects of concussions.

Thoughts?

I like Tommy.  I don't think there's anything insincere about him at all.  He's basically Randy the Ram without the steroids at this point.  He can't give up the business because it's literally all he knows.  He's a poor man's Terry Funk.  If he has his way, he'll die in the ring.

• Like 3