DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Was there anything in the sheets around mania 12 about warrior-hhh? In the hhh story warrior changed the finish last second and was unprofessional. As warriors rep was so lousy it sounds totally believable.

But at the time trips was just a featured midcarder and this was warrior returning after 4 years. Arguably his return was the biggest match on the show. There was no  build up to the match and no one would have expected the match to be anything but a squash. So I don't necessarily buy the idea that the match was going to be much different than what we saw.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Was there anything in the sheets around mania 12 about warrior-hhh? In the hhh story warrior changed the finish last second and was unprofessional. As warriors rep was so lousy it sounds totally believable.

But at the time trips was just a featured midcarder and this was warrior returning after 4 years. Arguably his return was the biggest match on the show. There was no  build up to the match and no one would have expected the match to be anything but a squash. So I don't necessarily buy the idea that the match was going to be much different than what we saw.

This is what Dave wrote a couple of weeks after

The original plan for the Ultimate Warrior-Helmsley match was to be more competitive but Warrior reportedly vehemently refused to do anything that would help Helmsley.

But I could also see Dave's source being HHH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Titus O'Neil's Ted Talk

It's a TEDx talk, which is different than a TED talk - TEDx are independently-run events that, frankly, don't have a lot of requirements to be able to speak.  It's like the difference between running the NWA under Crockett and running the NWA under Joe Blow's tiny promotion.

It's cool that Titus did one, but it comes down to "find someone doing a TEDx event, and ask them to speak there."  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

True, but dating Steph certainly didn't hurt.

Actually, it probably did.  Based on their WM entrances, they're into some kinky shit.  I wonder what their safe-word is?

Macho

• Like 7

Re: Ziggler on @Midnight, crossposted from the TV thread

Hey, guess what? Dolph Ziggler is horrible. Hardwick casted down to his level AND kept him on instead of giving him the red light because he's a nice guy. We should all be so positive, but... naw, fuck that. That episode was awful and he was awful. Yuck.

EDIT: In stark contrast the Monday ep with the Ru Paul's Drag Race queens CRUSHED it

• Like 3

There isn't anything about Dolph that isn't terrible right now.  He stopped trying to have good matches months ago.  As shitty as his "show-off" character could be, at least he seemed to give a shit back then.

His hair sucks, too.

19 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

There isn't anything about Dolph that isn't terrible right now.  He stopped trying to have good matches months ago.  As shitty as his "show-off" character could be, at least he seemed to give a shit back then.

His hair sucks, too.

But to be fair if you were him would you give a shit at this point given all the stuff he's been through with the company? Guy has basically been told in giant neon letters "You are midcard for life and nothing you do will change that". He's reached the "pin me pay me" phase at this point.

Dolph is in a sub-prime situation but I also don't give him a pass to mail it in for that reason.  WWE is paying him to do a job (sic) and to do it to the best of his ability, and he's not doing that.  This on top of his apparent constant backstage complaining and it's no wonder WWE doesn't want to push him.  

It's a catch 22 but it's between two groups of people to change it:

• Dolph himself
  • Vince, Stephanie and Triple H

I think the path of least resistance is obvious.

Supposedly the WWE has added Brock Lesnar vs. Baron Corbin to the 7/29 Detroit house show... which is a Smackdown show

Note that this will be the last show at the Joe Louis Arena so that could be why

• Like 1

I watched the episode until they introduced the panel.  As soon as they referred to Dolph as a comedian I turned it off.  I might check it later, but it's going to be a rough one.

if Dolph cared he should at least try to apply the advice that's been given to him countless times.  He's got the tools but after all this time still doesn't know how to put it together properly.  If he feels that defeated then might as well just let the contract run out and do something else....except for comedy.

EDIT:  I thought they had their last show at the Joe earlier this year.  Didn't they advertise it as "Farewell to the Joe" with shirts and everything?  It seems strange in that case to do that for a TV show knowing they have one more show there.

• Like 1

This is why Dolph's situation won't improve unless the people running things change their mind on him...Look at Fandango, Tyler Breeze, Daniel Bryan, Heath Slater, and the Miz for just a sampling of wrestlers who were saddled with shitty gimmicks or shitty booking and they're all creative enough, intelligent enough, and talented enough to overcome it. 

And then look at Dolph. Dolph has been Dolph for way too long and the only changes to him have been a shitty hair metal look, a denim vest with shitty band patches from Hot Topic, and long tights instead of short ones. His stand up comedy game is straight garbage. He just doesn't have the wit or creativity to get him out of the spot he's in.

• Like 2

The other thing about Dolph is that he desperately wants to be recognized as a stand up comedian, but his material is awful and he's not even pleasant to be around. I've heard multiple comedians, men and women, refer to a wrestler trying to tell jokes or an unnamed sports guy trying to be a comedian and how said person sucks or this guy who used to be with Amy Schumer and now play fights for a living. Who else would they be talking about?

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

EDIT:  I thought they had their last show at the Joe earlier this year.  Didn't they advertise it as "Farewell to the Joe" with shirts and everything?  It seems strange in that case to do that for a TV show knowing they have one more show there.

I am pretty sure it was marketing as last RAW or last PPV (whatever it was) instead of "last event"

I thought Dolph worked hard in the mitb match.  He's just a guy who is stale and hit his ceiling. He also slowed down a bit. He's 36 now and can't take nutty bumps to the outside for our amusement anymore.

That being said, his hair is awesome. I've give up a kidney to be that follicly gifted.

I think the company was done with Dolph when he cashed in MITB and got the concussion. Which was not necessarily fair to him but its understandable. 

I've supported him since the start, but he has stopped trying. There are some guys who can go half speed and still be really good, Dolph is not one of them.