DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

This has probably already been discussed before but... it's pretty safe to assume Triple H sold his soul to the devil right? How else do you go from being booked for Memphis with Perry Saturn to where he is now?

He met Satan and Robert Johnson at the Crossroads. HHH is also one hell of a blues guitarist, hence the friendship with Lemmy, who was also into the blues and Nazi symbolism. 

• Like 2

I so wish that Robert Johnson story was true, too bad it was debunked.

I'll give credit to HHH, dude knows how to network his way to the top.  He might get grief for his wrestling days but he's proven to be a pretty smart dude.

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

After listening to Cyrus on a few podcasts, I think back then all you had to do was have one or two creative ideas that either of the Vince's loved and you were on it.He of course passed them up on the offer...

Outside of Shawn (and maybe 90s Jake?), I can't recall hearing any active performers sitting in on booking meetings. 

It would be a really good question for Pritchard.

That Bayley stuff seems like pure speculation cause why would the color commentator be involved?  Goddammit, pal, lemme tell you what to do though, baby!

Picture with the eyes of your mind, Bayley and Sasha Banks walking backstage on their way to the ring for tag team action when they pass by members of THE BEAR COMMUNITY!?! and Bayley being the simpleton that she is has to stop and hug one of the bears to the clear disapproval of Banks and the other bears.  Next week, after a backstage Bayley interview we see that bear sneaking around the corner and he gives Bayley a balloon before running off.  The following weeks we see the bear and Bayley exchanging small gifts and hugs until we get to The SummerSlam where right before Bayley's big bout against whoever the hell the champ is, the bear comes out with a gift box and they hug and he motions for her to close her eyes and it looks like he's about to kiss her but instead he bashes her over the head with the box and the bear unmasks and it's Sasha Banks and she opens the box and pulls out a big catfish which she proceeds to beat Bayley with.

• Like 13

Oh God, I would love to be in the room when someone has to explain what the concept much less the show Catfish is to Vince. He would probably love the hell out of the show.

Next thing we know Bayley will have a boyfriend on the internet that will turn out to be Alexa Bliss even though Sasha Banks would make way more sense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Oh God, I would love to be in the room when someone has to explain what the concept much less the show Catfish is to Vince. He would probably love the hell out of the show.

Next thing we know Bayley will have a boyfriend on the internet that will turn out to be Alexa Bliss even though Sasha Banks would make way more sense.

This was almost literally the storyline when Kaitlyn lost the Divas Championship to AJ, with Big E as the "boyfriend".

EDIT - Here's the promo (within the match at Payback '11)

I remember nothing about Kaitlyn. On the other hand, I liked AJ Lee and hope Mr. and Mrs. Brooks are enjoying their wrestling free lives. If and when, AJ and Punk have a child, I wonder if Colt Cabana will be holding the baby during the bris.

• Like 1

YES!  I'm am beyond ecstatic by this development.  I always liked Mauro and felt bad about all the shit he went through.  But not only is he going to be back but on NXT also.  And his announcing can only help those in NXT.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He's a cross between a rich man's Matt Striker and a poor man's Craig Johnson.

I hear Matt Striker weekly on LU and he is so very much not any kind of Matt Striker.  Matt's schlock is beyond cringe-worthy on there.  I know Mauro's got his faults (catchphrases, wacky references, etc.) but surely he can't be that bad.

Lots of the same bad habits and relatively narrow knowledge of the broad spectrum of wrestling for someone who is packaged as a snarky expert. I did say rich man's. People forget how much we all loved Striker at first on ECW.

He's no Craig Johnson.

• Like 2

I thought Mauro was excellent on the Cruiserweight Classic, I enjoyed him doing NJPW on AXS and I like his boxing work. I really only noticed the forced pop culture stuff once he got to Smackdown. I tend to believe people can get inside their own heads when changing jobs and feel they need to perform a certain way, even if they were perfectly solid taking a different approach previously. That was the impression I got from the stark contrast in his SDL performance vs. everywhere else I'd heard him previously. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because Russo is a crazy person seeking attention

Russo is desperate for attention and relevancy. Cornette has a successful podcast, makes money on the convention circuit and WWE will at least take his calls. So Russo uses Cornette to keep him a bit relevant and Cornette gives it to him because it entertains his listeners and he does hate Russo. 

Did Russo have a dad? Because it seems a dad would teach you not to challenge someone to "Say it to my face", then get a protective order when the challengee offers to do just that.

• Like 1